Sparse Supplies

Options
Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,712
So, we just had a department conference call at work to discuss expectations and what's happening. I'm part of the IT department so it was all us nerds talking about work from home expectations, personal responsibility flexibility with family and kids being home too and so on and so forth.

Someone brought up a question about where to find supplies for cleaning the office spaces. That morphed in to talking about where to find stuff at home since, apparently, there's quite a few people who are in need and have to do without because of panicking people hoarding supplies.

So I figured I'd share this.

Non-traditional places you can go that are more likely to have stuff:

Toiletries and Bathroom Paper Products
- Small corner stores, gas stations, mom & pop sized shops
- Janitorial supply companies (might need to sign up for an account)
- Small home improvement stores like Ace Hardware or True Value or a local privately owned hardware store.

Cleaning supplies, Paper Towels, Hand Sanitizers
- Pet Stores
- Home improvement/hardware stores
- Auto parts stores
- Janitorial Supply Companies

Bottled Water
- Liquor stores
- Hardware Stores/Home Improvement stores
- Auto Parts stores
- Farmers Markets/Produce Stands

Where I live in NJ, stuff like hurricanes are a real and normal occurrence and often times they are bad enough to cause panic and make people run out and hoard stuff. Every time I’ve had to go get stuff and found that supermarkets, pharmacies, dollar stores and even the wholesale club type stores like Sam’s or Costco are out of everything, these have been my go-to’s and I have been able to get everything I need to get by at these alternative places. I usually keep these a secret because I don’t want my supply alternative to be stripped clean on me! These are different times, though. For example, I walked into an Advance Auto Parts store on Monday to get a new headlight bulb for my truck and they had a pallet’s worth of bottled water and stacks of paper towels sitting there almost untouched while everyone else is out of it. It was their normal “spring season” supply too so it was stuff they carry regularly.

So there’s some ideas for you. Spread it around if you think it will help. Add to it if you have some ideas too. Hopefully if you need something, one of these pans out for you.

Also, if you need laundry detergent or dishwasher detergent, check Home Depot or Lowe's. I've been in both since the panic started and my local ones have had stuff available.

Also, a local chain of liquor stores here has fridges with milk, eggs and other common perishables too. I was in one on Monday afternoon and they had full fridges. They also had a full rack of bread and Entemann's baked goods. Cases of soda too.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited March 2020
    Options
    You can also get sanitizing wipes and hand sanitizer at Staples, Office Max etc.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Jstas
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Yeah, good point. They also have toilet paper, paper towels and cleaning supplies as well.

Also...coffee.

• Jstas
    Options
    You know what? Now that I think about it, bottled water too. Not just individual stuff but jugs as well. Sodas and juices too. All stuff that small offices would need and probably tack on to a supply order from an office supply store.

Good call, I totally forgot about that!

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    To add to the list from janitorial supply companies, they also usually have a variety of
    gloves (latex, vinyl, nitrile) if you're into the whole personal protection thing. I am.

They also usually carry hand sanitizer, but in my experience, you need to buy them in cases of 4 x 800ml bags that fit in ready-made dispensers. Yeah, most people don't want a commercial dispenser mounted in their kitchen or bathroom, but it's an alternative to not having any.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    My wife ordered the drinking water we drink daily directly from the company...ie Ozarka Spring water

Did it cost more ...yep, a couple dollars more per case

If you questioning if it's really spring water...yes it is as ;long as it says spring water
    Ozarka also sells a drinking water which is not from the springs.

If your question is how do I know that it's spring water....

Because I used to sub contract and install 3-4 cameras at the places where they were pumping out of the springs

These were all over Texas, out in the boonies on someones land up to 10mi back on gravel roads

I always had to get a Ozarka rep to me in some town and then I'd follow him to unlock and get me to where these pump stations were located

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I drink water from the tap, I live life on the edge.

Good recommendations on cleaning supply sources.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • polrbehr
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Our water is so chloro/fluoro/irradiated here (hype, of course, but it's sometimes undrinkable) that we've only drunk bottled for the past few years. I put an end to the possibility of shortages and price-gouging the other day by getting a Brio CLPOU520UVF2 water dispenser. It costs almost $300 from Amazon, and you have to hook it to your water supply line, but it offers sediment/charcoal filters good for 950 gallons, and they even send you two extra filters. No more empty shelves, no more lugging cases of water into the house. Done.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• Jstas
    edited March 2020
    Options
    polrbehr wrote: »
    To add to the list from janitorial supply companies, they also usually have a variety of
    gloves (latex, vinyl, nitrile) if you're into the whole personal protection thing. I am.

They also usually carry hand sanitizer, but in my experience, you need to buy them in cases of 4 x 800ml bags that fit in ready-made dispensers. Yeah, most people don't want a commercial dispenser mounted in their kitchen or bathroom, but it's an alternative to not having any.

Those 800 mL bags are easy to deal with without the dispenser. Just cut a real small part of the corner off. You can squeeze the goo out refill small bottles or just use it that way. Then when done, twist the corner up, fold it over on it's self and put a rubber band on it.

• Jstas
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    My wife ordered the drinking water we drink daily directly from the company...ie Ozarka Spring water

Did it cost more ...yep, a couple dollars more per case

If you questioning if it's really spring water...yes it is as ;long as it says spring water
    Ozarka also sells a drinking water which is not from the springs.

If your question is how do I know that it's spring water....

Because I used to sub contract and install 3-4 cameras at the places where they were pumping out of the springs

These were all over Texas, out in the boonies on someones land up to 10mi back on gravel roads

I always had to get a Ozarka rep to me in some town and then I'd follow him to unlock and get me to where these pump stations were located

Good recommendations on cleaning supply sources.

I got a well. As long as I can get power to it, I have access to 17 trillion gallons of fresh, clean water.

http://savethesource.org/about-the-aquifer/

• polrbehr
    Options
    Good thinking on using the HS that way. Funny thing is, buying it that way is NOT cheap, and so if you buy a case of 4 or 6, they usually throw one dispenser in for free anyway... so you might as well use it.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this @Jstas !
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.

“May you live in interesting times”

Love yours. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    The water at home Galveston county doesn’t taste good, and there’s so much softener in the house I rent in Midlothian that you can taste the chems

Houston water comes from lake Houston ....only carp and catfish live in that lake...you decide

San Antonio are good out of tap, many complain about the sediments but it’s rich in mineral because it comes from the Edwards aquifer. West Texas wells taste good ...mostly

Corpus tastes like sulfur
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Jstas
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    The water at home Galveston county doesn’t taste good, and there’s so much softener in the house I rent in Midlothian that you can taste the chems

Houston water comes from lake Houston ....only carp and catfish live in that lake...you decide

San Antonio are good out of tap, many complain about the sediments but it’s rich in mineral because it comes from the Edwards aquifer. West Texas wells taste good ...mostly

Corpus tastes like sulfur

Ours has a ton of iron in it so gotta use the softener to knock down the metallic taste a bunch otherwise it's pretty good.

• txcoastal1
    Options
    Taking hard water and adding your own softener usually doesn’t bother me but this cheap centralized softener.....I’m sure the cheapest is weird and nasty

I can’t ever get the soap off by hands/body. Even with stickies and a mat still slippery as dogdoo in the shower...me and my guys are spread out all over Texas with variations of water supplies but none of us have ever experienced this type of water. Clear and doesn’t smell just tastes off and and a pain to rinse off

• Jstas
    Options
    I don't know enough about softeners to be able to tell you what's up there.

Jackie's parents live out in Midland and they have well water but it's excessively hard. Even with an industrial sized softener, the water is still a bit slimy. I know that usually means it's leaning towards an alkali pH. So maybe get it tested and see?

Ours will get a bit slimy if I get lax on the softener salt.

• txcoastal1
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    I don't know enough about softeners to be able to tell you what's up there.

Jackie's parents live out in Midland and they have well water but it's excessively hard. Even with an industrial sized softener, the water is still a bit slimy. I know that usually means it's leaning towards an alkali pH. So maybe get it tested and see?

Ours will get a bit slimy if I get lax on the softener salt.

Meh, projects done so we will be moving on...it’s just weird

I know why the Town/community set it up to protect the pipe/water supply system. There’s a quarry less than a half mile away and the water naturally is hard, just hate the water🙃

• txcoastal1
    Options
    FYI
    Home Depot will close every day at 6pm

• Jstas
    Options
    Yeah, that friggin' sucks.

At least Lowe's isn't closing unless there's a curfew or something.

It really sucks because I still have work to for work and I work from home all the time. So with all these early closings and stuff, I have to leave work to go get something needed or get something done and then get to work late every night to make up the time. The kids being home from school doesn't help either.

• txcoastal1
    Options
    WellJohn, I know you have all these projects going with the new home but why not just clean up

Go to work as usual, and reconvene on the home shlt when this gray cloud passes

• Jstas
    Options
    'Cause I'll be bored.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    Indiana water sucked too...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Yeah all this hording sucks!

In the San Diego area finding paper products, hand sanitizer, clorox wipes is almost impossible. From Costco to Lowes to Office Depot is cleaned out. Tijuana has been cleaned out too. People that can cross the border are coming here for basic supplies.

Cleaning crew at work had to reorder supplies on Monday, most of the time it's next day. Nope Staples said Friday. Our office went through a case of TP in less than a week., normal is two weeks. out of the 3 cases that came in on 3/2 we are down to the last one.

We have a freezer in the garage. I unplugged it a few years ago to save energy. Nope plugged in now. Went to Costco, they had restocked some good frozen but not a lot. Need some frozen pizza. My son is checking some of the commercial supply stores for bulk meat.

At work we are finding with the rush to work from home the IT supply chain is getting wiped out too.

As for water, Costco will have bottled two or three times a week. Got to get there in the morning. Me I don't care for the home. Our water from the tap is not bad, we use the fridge filter only.

Stay safe my friends
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    Just because you have well water does not mean there are not things in it to be concerned about. Probably a good idea to have it tested. Our well water is fine, tastes good too. Had it tested a few times when fracking was going on in the area. But I know of other well owners that have problems not related to fracking.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Jstas
    Options
    There's no fracking anywhere near me. Well's been tested twice in the last 3 years.

It's good.

• polrbehr
    Options
    Stock up on microfiber cloths now, while they're not scarce. Use them instead of paper towels for cleanups, dusting, whatever you'd normally use paper towels for. They can be washed over and over, and you won't care if the shelves have paper towels or not.
    Last time I bought 200 from my supplier, and they were $.35 each for 16 x 16. HomeD and Lowes carry them, probably any hardware store too, though I can't comment on the quality of theirs.

• Jstas
    Options
    Harbor Freight sells them in HUGE packs too.

• polrbehr
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    Harbor Freight sells them in HUGE packs too.
    I've been avoiding going in the new one they just opened near me, but you're making it difficult for me to stay away now, thanks a lot :s

• Jstas
    Options
    Well, don't bother if you can get them for 35 cents a cloth.

The largest they have now is 12 packs for like 6-7 bucks.

https://www.harborfreight.com/microfiber-cleaning-cloth-12-in-x-12-in-12-pk-63362.html

They used to have 50 backs for like $14 which was less than 30 cents a cloth but they don't seem to be available anymore.

Can still get the red or white shop towels in 50 packs for about $12 a pack, though.

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,475
    Options
    We can two rolls of TP at the local pharmacy
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"