Cannondale E Bike.(anyone?)

Options

Comments

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »

I figured that if I hit the sliding door of a van at 40mph with no helmet and then smacked my head up against a curb while flying upside down after nailing a dog while racing (RIP dog) and I survived? I wasn't going to fare any better with something that made my time actually enjoying the ride a living hell. YMMV.

A lot of your posts make a lot more sense now!

All kidding aside, helmet design is light years ahead of what it was back then.

They move a lot of air, lightweight and do a far better job preventing concussions.

With modern helmets, there is no sensible reason to skip them.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    I have taken the pedals off my kid's bikes and replaced them with platform pedals. They offer much more support and grip which outweighs getting those lovely pins in the shins.

The pins on OneUp pedals are legit weapons, but I love them. Great grip and support.

Just painful when you do slip a pedal...
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    I don't even know I'm wearing my helmet.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    Had it out quite a bit this morning and really enjoy it. The helmet is not heavy at all but I still hate the look of all the bike helmets. Going with the safety factor to keep my wife happy. It's going to get me biking a lot more that's for sure. Thing just whips.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Willow
    Options
    it looks bmx-ish
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    I know, right. Wait a minute here....what do you mean by that? I have no drain bramage! :*

THJ, Is that black thing on the top tube where you charge it up?

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    I know, right. Wait a minute here....what do you mean by that? I have no drain bramage! :*

THJ, Is that black thing on the top tube where you charge it up?

Tom

The button on the top tube is where ya turn it one and select low med or high. The charge port is down center in between the pedals.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Willow
    Options
    remember to upgrade the charging cable so you can ride faster!
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    remember to upgrade the charging cable so you can ride faster!

And sounds smoother with an upgraded charging cable. I'm on it😂😂
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    THJ,
    Congrats on the new ride!

Curious Q ... Why is the rear hub so large on the new bike?
    Maybe too soon to say, but do you feel there’s much difference in the way the body is more hunched over on the new ride vs Townie?

TY
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    THJ,
    Congrats on the new ride!

Curious Q ... Why is the rear hub so large on the new bike?
    Maybe too soon to say, but do you feel there’s much difference in the way the body is more hunched over on the new ride vs Townie?

TY

There's a computer in that rear hub that tracks distance speed and let's ya know when scheduled maintenance is needed. App on Google play store.
    I loved the Townie but this e bike is the most comfortable bike I've ever been on.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    I think the drive motor is also in the rear hub for this bike.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options
    Congrats THJ!

eBikes are really fun. I am not a hard core biker so I don’t get as serious as others.

I started out with the SwagCycles a couple years ago. Primary use was for camping and riding out to the lake. Lake was right by my home. Then the bug got to me. The Swag’s did not have range only around 10 miles and the top speed was around the same.

I recently picked up the Prodecotech Genesis. Really fun bike with same batteries used in Tesla’s. I also highly recommend the Fenix BC30 headlamp lights. They shine like xenon car lights.

I am curious, what is the weight of you bike? And would also be interested in your real world experience with battery range. I am looking for another one for the wife.

Cheers!!!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Nice bike you got there Johnny enjoy it, just wondering how much more it weighs compared to your Trek? I always have wanted my Mountain bikes as light **** possible call me a weight weenie if you will have always liked a light weight hard tail just wondering how much weight a motorized Mountain bike brings to the table? I know a full suspension always weighs more than a good hard tail but I wonder how much weight will a motorized full suspension bike weigh. That Cannondale would be right up my alley for riding the paved trails.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    halen wrote: »
    Congrats THJ!

eBikes are really fun. I am not a hard core biker so I don’t get as serious as others.

I started out with the SwagCycles a couple years ago. Primary use was for camping and riding out to the lake. Lake was right by my home. Then the bug got to me. The Swag’s did not have range only around 10 miles and the top speed was around the same.

I recently picked up the Prodecotech Genesis. Really fun bike with same batteries used in Tesla’s. I also highly recommend the Fenix BC30 headlamp lights. They shine like xenon car lights.

I am curious, what is the weight of you bike? And would also be interested in your real world experience with battery range. I am looking for another one for the wife.

Cheers!!!
    My buddy at the bike shop said full charge will get 70 miles. Thanks for the tip on the light. Don't ride at night much but that light looks nice . too bad it doesn't come with batteries or a charger.

gudnoyez wrote: »
    Nice bike you got there Johnny enjoy it, just wondering how much more it weighs compared to your Trek? I always have wanted my Mountain bikes as light **** possible call me a weight weenie if you will have always liked a light weight hard tail just wondering how much weight a motorized Mountain bike brings to the table? I know a full suspension always weighs more than a good hard tail but I wonder how much weight will a motorized full suspension bike weigh. That Cannondale would be right up my alley for riding the paved trails.

They weigh pretty much the same and it's not a motorized bike. Pedal assist and so smooth. I love it so far.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    E- Mountain Bikes typically tip the scales 15ish pounds more than a comparable, traditional mountain bike.
  • gudnoyez
    Options
    Congrats THJ!

Cheers!!!
    My buddy at the bike shop said full charge will get 70 miles. Thanks for the tip on the light. Don't ride at night much but that light looks nice . too bad it doesn't come with batteries or a charger.

They weigh pretty much the same and it's not a motorized bike. Pedal assist and so smooth. I love it so far.

Pedal assist, does it not have a battery powered motorized function to assist the pedaling when needed?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• Upstatemax
    Options

Pedal assist, does it not have a battery powered motorized function to assist the pedaling when needed?

Pedal assist is a motor that kicks on while you pedal to take some of the load from your legs.

It’s a bit of a battle of words since the bike industry is trying to avoid the “motor” word. Mainly to gain acceptance from the cycling community and more importantly trail access. E-Bikes are banned from many trail systems, either to prove a point or because of a perceived fire risk (big deal in California).

• halen
    Options
    My eBike could be full battery, pedal, or hybrid. It is heavy though.

THJ look at the Fenix BC35.

I have a hoard of 18650 batteries. My next would be the BC35.
  • GlennDog
    Options
    The local Harley dealer is advertising eBikes for the little tikes
    https://www.raycsh-d.com/--IRONe
    exco5gk42khq.png

Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    Options
    Nice bike you got there Johnny enjoy it, just wondering how much more it weighs compared to your Trek?.

The guys at REI said the Electra I test rode was about 55 lbs
    While straddling it, I lifted the front and then the back. The weight seemed evenly distributed and was pretty lite, did not feel like 25lbs
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    I just installed the Cannondale app to my cell phone and let me say, it's so cool. It knew my bike (color and all). Keeps track of distance, speed and maintenance that may be needed to be done. Little much going on with my little digital music hobby to get a lot of riding in but this bike sure keeps me wanting to get back out there and whip around.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Very Cool! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2020
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    I like the concept of E-Bikes. I'm not as young, or in shape as I used to be, when I would do centuries on a regular basis.

Even then, I could've used some assist during times when I was spent, and still miles away from the finish! :smile:
    I've actually been thinking about one for the same reasons. I've never done a century but rode about 85 mile once in my 20's when I worked at a bike shop. Back then I used to do group rides all the time.

Today at age 53 its much harder to get back into it. Around here many of the roads outside of the neighborhood don't have a shoulder for bikes. So, riding in the neighborhood or with a group are the only sensible options. An e-Bike would take pressure off myself and the group if I ever got to the point of being dropped.

Yeah, I bought one of those fancy helmets at a bike shop back in 1986 when I was riding my bike down the Old Dominion Trail while headed out to George Washington National forest knee deep in the Shenandoah Mountains. IIRC, I spent about 90 bucks on the thing.

I lasted about 7 miles with it and chucked it into the woods.

Most uncomfortable thing ever. I overheated quickly, sweat poured into my eyes, blinding me. My neck started hurting from the additional weight and I knew right then and there that it wasn't for me.

I didn't even bother to look for it on the way back.

I figured that if I hit the sliding door of a van at 40 mph with no helmet and then smacked my head up against a curb while flying upside down after nailing a dog while racing (RIP dog) and I survived? I wasn't going to fare any better with something that made my time actually enjoying the ride a living hell. YMMV.

Tom

Today there are many light, cool, and comfortable helmets that also help wick sweat away from your head. Also, SEVERAL times I've personally seen people fall in a group ride, race, etc that hit their head on the pavement and the helmet cracked! One time a couple of friends and I were on mile 3 of a nice jaunt around the city (20-30 miles average) and one went down. He cracked his helmet. Makes one wonder the damage without one.

IMO, I would never ride without one in a group, off road, or fast on main roads alone. The fastest I've been on a bike was going down a long steep hill on my road bike in a small group ride. We were going about 40-50+ mph. No way would I have done this without a helmet on!

Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • gudnoyez
    Options
    I always where a helmet seen to many accidents on offroad trails and a few were hard to have witnessed. The helmet I got is lite weight grooved for airflow actually keeps you pretty cool. Bontrager makes good ones.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• halen
    Options
    THJ,

How are you enjoying your Bike after several months? I have gone down a good sized rabbit hole myself. I picked up the Rad City Step Thru and the DOST Drop Mid Drive with dual battery. All Class 3 rated.

Also very heavy into mods. I made sure none of my bikes use proprietary setups such as the Bosch systems. Am a huge fan of Bafang because of all the things you could do to it.

Check out Bolton eBikes as well. Beasts!!

Cheers to the ride!

Halen
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    THJ,

How are you enjoying your Bike after several months? I have gone down a good sized rabbit hole myself. I picked up the Rad City Step Thru and the DOST Drop Mid Drive with dual battery. All Class 3 rated.

Also very heavy into mods. I made sure none of my bikes use proprietary setups such as the Bosch systems. Am a huge fan of Bafang because of all the things you could do to it.

Check out Bolton eBikes as well. Beasts!!

Cheers to the ride!

Halen

I’m still loving the bike but not near enough time to get down on it! I don’t know much about them even but I know the one I own is a decent one!
    Congrats on yours and would love to see pics!
  • halen
    Options
    I have been trying out seats like a madman as well. Haven’t quite found one that works for me.

y6g6adjgnzyh.jpeg
    chfwfaq74ikj.jpeg
    t68aa5gztya2.jpeg
    oqdnv4pyaye5.jpeg
    j2hzxqqry7a1.jpeg
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    I was looking at Rad’s bikes and the upcoming RadMission looks interesting. Lighter and cheaper than others and will fit people my height. $999 pre order.
  • GlennDog
    Options
    My curiosity has been piqued once again . . . Any Earth shattering developments of late?? THANKS!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12