Cannondale E Bike.(anyone?)

Options
So I took my acoustic bike which is a Townie made by Trek but still sports an Electra badge on the neck in for a chain adjustment last night. Buddy of mine has been at this shop for years and while he was working on my bike I strolled around the showroom. (Big mistake..I think) I noticed this Cannondale bike with a hefty price tag on it. I loved the look of it before I saw the price tag and had to ask. I had no idea it was an electric bike when I asked my friend about it and he didn't say anything about the E factor either, just had that crazy grin on his face as he said "that bike is you all day long Johnny" and with some degree of doubt I went for a quick test ride. (Another big mistake) when he pulled the bike off the rack I noticed the button that lit up and at this time I realized this is some kind of electric thing. Man I tell you I was blown away. Velvet ride and whipped like the wind. He set it on the medium mode which to me was crazy cool but he said I will really like it in high mode. I didn't want to ride it anymore in fear of buying it in the spot, but after riding my bike home which was back to peak performance my mind couldn't stop thinking of what I just experienced. I want the darn thing but not just yet. On the fence big time. Anyone here own one or try one yet?
Kinda wish I wouldn't have taken that bike for a ride now. I see it in my garage sooner than later.
"if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!

Comments

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    I do attach 3 JBL Flip.4's to the bikes I tide if that stirs the pot a wee bit?? 😂😂
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    I have no direct experience with this Cannondale model. I did ride an electric Lyft bike or some such thing while we were in Washington DC on vacation a couple of months ago, and it was quite cool, although that is a terrible comparison.

Do it >:):)
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    No, thanks. I will keep my normal Canondale. Lord knows I could use the exercise.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    Options
    If you have one, you can shake off a DWI as a non-event.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    E-Bikes have come a long way the last year or so. They open up the world of cycling to so many people, I really like them.

Specialized has made a huge push this past year with their E-Bikes, I would say worth a look.

As for test riding, huge mistake if you didn’t want to spend the $$$$. Haha

Myself, I can’t look myself in the mirror and own one, yet. Maybe in 15 or so years. Probably would start with a E- Mountain Bike. For now, I just have to punish myself and wish I had an E-Bike as I climb...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Do they charge the battery as you pedal?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Upstatemax
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

No.

They are plugged in to charge. As far as I know, any system that charges as you pedal would add too much resistance. The batteries are large and do last a long time.

I think they are looking at brake regeneration though.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    I'll still keep my Townie and it's a smoothie, but the e bike I tested was the 2020 Cannondale Tredwell and this thing was like velvet. Still on the fence.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    I’m always in favor of bike upgrades!

I had to promise my wife this year that I’m not buying any new bikes, so I’m going to be a bad influence on everyone else!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »

No.

They are plugged in to charge. As far as I know, any system that charges as you pedal would add too much resistance. The batteries are large and do last a long time.

I think they are looking at brake regeneration though.

Ah, thank you!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Upstatemax
    Options

Ah, thank you!

The E-Bike category is a very interesting part of cycling right now. They are being very strictly designed as an assist and not self driven. It seems trivial, but it’s the crux of where these bikes are allowed, or where they will allowed to go in the future.

So basically the motor can’t kick in till you’re pedaling and it can only help, not do all the work.

If they are self driven, they are no longer simply a bicycle, they are a motorcycle. Since the mountain bike segment is such a huge part of where they want to grow E-Bikes, they flat out can’t allow motor driven vehicles into most of those areas.

If you haven’t had the chance to see it, check out the documentary “Any One of Us”. It might still only be on HBO. It’s a great example of the freedom these bikes can offer to a lot of people. Also, it’s just a great documentary, IMO.

https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/any-one-of-us
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    Almost there😃🎩
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    We took a couple of the well-known rail-to-trails in northern Idaho last September with some friends. One has two hip replacements and was an early adopter of E-bikes. She loves it and we saw quite a few on the road that week. I’m not ready yet, but at 69, it might be a preview of coming attractions.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    I took the plunge and paid for the one I tested. Had my name on it when I got there today😂😂
    Its not an age thing as the larger percentage of E Bike owners are under 40. There is still plenty of exercise to get on with when riding an e bike but it was that smooth glide that grabbed me. Grabbed my money too😂🎩
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    It’s definitely not an age thing. It’s about enjoyment, E-Bikes make it more enjoyable to the vast majority of the population. Especially if you want to commute to work or something like that.

Trust me, it’s not fun showing up to work all sweaty...

I think it’s awesome that you decided to buy it!
  • maxward
    Options
    Yeah. Good for you!
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    I like the concept of E-Bikes. I'm not as young, or in shape as I used to be, when I would do centuries on a regular basis.

Even then, I could've used some assist during times when I was spent, and still miles away from the finish! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • maxward
    Options
    Just checked out the Cannondale website and that’s a nice looking bike. Battery seems to be well hidden.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I haven’t been on a bicycle in 35 years… I was on one today!
    Never heard of an E bike until Johnie‘s post. Checked it out online last night and went to REI today. There weren’t any E bikes on the floor for test riding so they had to dig one out from storage.
    It wasn’t a Cannondale but an Electra model, about $2k. No Shocks and no hydraulic brakes but it did have a mid mount battery and drivetrain which I guess is one reason the price is higher than the base model
    The ride seem to really transfer the “road feel” to my body, which I didn’t care for. I guess I just expected it to be a lot smoother. They’re going to have a variety of other models to choose from in a couple of weeks… I’ll be back for another test ride.
    Cool concept! ... this could be fun!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Bike setup can play a large part of bike comfort.

I doubt the staff at REI know how to properly set a bike up. Not trying to trash them because I really like REI, but most retailers have no clue. Tire size and pressure are probably among the most important for road feel.

Im assuming the bike you rode had the 2.35” tires on it (looked it up online) and those should provide a very smooth ride when set up correctly. My guess, 25-28psi should a max tire pressure and they probably had you closer to 45+ psi. It will feel like riding on tires made of cement.

I ride 32 mm tires (about 1.25”) and they feel really comfortable on the road and gravel roads.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    Picking this baby up in a few hours and now my wife is insisting I pick up a helmet too. ??
    I've never worm one and this idea is takin some of the fun out the plan to me but I'll find out more about hardware when I get to the store. I guess playing it safe might not be a bad idea but it just hit me wrong when my wife sprung it on me.
    Other than that I am looking forward to a quick smooth ride home.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    I would absolutely wear a helmet.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    I would absolutely wear a helmet.

I'm getting one. Thanks
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    I wear helmets. They’ve saved me a few times off road and on the street. Today’s designs are super lightweight too.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    Ebikes are becoming quite popular for mountain bikers. It helps them climb without getting too killed (non chairlift bike parks). Sam Pilgrim, Tom Cardy ride one (although sponsored by Haibike)
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I thought “accessorizing” your ride was a Harley thing to get though to spend additional big bucks, and it is. I know I’ve dropped upwards of 5k on jewelry for my 2nd to last bike. My most recent bike is almost totally stock.
    Lots of jewelry available for bicycles too.
    I was a little surprised to see that bicycle kick stands and pedals do not come with some bikes. No pedals? WTH

Edit Fenders are optional too. Gotta have those in Michigan!

Helmuts for MCs. Always . . . For the Ebike that has a governor maxed out at 20 mph? The jury is out, but leaning towards no
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Willow
    Options
    kick stands? haha real bikes don't have kick stands. As far as pedals, if the bikes come with pedals they are super cheap and run of the mill ones consider them like the red and white cables you'd get when buying a vcr, pretty much crap but do the trick.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Pedals can be a serious personal preference. There are a lot of versions on the market, from “flats” that would be your traditional flat base that you hop on and ride, to clipless, road and mountain styles. It’s an odd name since you actually clip into clipless pedals. Within clipless, you have many different mount standards that are personal preference and manufacturer specific (look, crank brothers, Shimano SPD...).

Even with flat pedals you have a lot of personal preference, amount and height of pins, platform size, thickness and shapes.

Once you get into higher end bikes there is literally zero point in including pedals as a manufacturer. A lot of times shops will throw in a pair of the super basic ones Willow mentioned if that’s all you want.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Picking this baby up in a few hours and now my wife is insisting I pick up a helmet too. ??
    Yeah, I bought one of those fancy helmets at a bike shop back in 1986 when I was riding my bike down the Old Dominion Trail while headed out to George Washington National forest knee deep in the Shenandoah Mountains. IIRC, I spent about 90 bucks on the thing.

I lasted about 7 miles with it and chucked it into the woods.

Most uncomfortable thing ever. I overheated quickly, sweat poured into my eyes, blinding me. My neck started hurting from the additional weight and I knew right then and there that it wasn't for me.

I didn't even bother to look for it on the way back.

I figured that if I hit the sliding door of a van at 40mph with no helmet and then smacked my head up against a curb while flying upside down after nailing a dog while racing (RIP dog) and I survived? I wasn't going to fare any better with something that made my time actually enjoying the ride a living hell. YMMV.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Willow
    Options
    I have taken the pedals off my kid's bikes and replaced them with platform pedals. They offer much more support and grip which outweighs getting those lovely pins in the shins.