Scary virus outbreak in China

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited March 2020
    I have recently heard the FLU season is about over due to warmer weather arriving.

I've also heard the new virus will be hampered by warmer weather too.

I hope so.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Tony M wrote: »
    I have recently heard the FLU season is about over due to warmer weather arriving.

I hope so.

@Tony M

Yes, that's my hope as well.
    Late spring and summer is when these coronoviruses die out... I hope all those little guys burn.

Crossing my fingers man.

It's going to be a losing battle for all docs otherwise.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V wrote: »
    10x the admit rate of flu
    40x the icu admit rate
    Even if you don't die... there are many very painful ways of surviving.

And this is in 2 months.

I hope they are wrong.
    Otherwise, we are in for a shocker.

I have zero doubt they are wrong...

I hope they are.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Joey, even if those numbers are off by 50% we are in a world of trouble.
    Here is a slide from a hospital

jm7htfvg0pbk.png
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited March 2020
    Then I guess it's a good thing they are off by 99%....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Joey_V
    I am hoping for the best.

I think those numbers are probably the highest/worst possible.

I think the truth will be less. I hope much less.
    Someone look it up, I don't think Italy is doubling every 7 days....
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707

You're a doctor. You'd have the readiest, most accurate info of all of us.

Why don't you look it up and tell us?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Tony M wrote: »

I hope so.

STOP IT - You’re raining on their panic!!
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Joey_V
    Jstas wrote: »

You're a doctor. You'd have the readiest, most accurate info of all of us.

Why don't you look it up and tell us?

I'm not an epidemiologist. My data is not any more accurate than of y'alls. I just have better first hand experience and can interpret it better.
  • Joey_V
    edited March 2020
    Fine... because apparently I'm the only one who can look at data...

Here is Italy.

And yes, dang it, it looks logarithmic.

:'(

5hmndkd2ax81.png
    Post edited by Joey_V on
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,893
    American Hospital Association Leaked Slide Commentary

The cases in Italy have increased exponentially. There is no sign of a plateau in new cases or deaths at this point. 9,200 cases, so yes, that number has doubled in 7 days (maybe less).

The case numbers are also accelerating significantly in France, Germany and Spain. They will all probably exceed 2,000 cases by the end of the week, although their mortality numbers remain limited for now, in comparison to Italy.
    Alea jacta est!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    edited March 2020
    Good I played the over 10,000 on the
    Parlay card for Italy and 6000 Parlay card for the other 3 by end of the week.

• BlueFox
    We had our first death today in my CA county.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    BlueFox wrote: »
    We had our first death today in my CA county.

Time to move into that silo in Montana...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    Watching the news tonight, and the County just banned gatherings of more than 1000. This takes care of Shark’s games, but they aren’t doing well this year. Supposedly, this ban is until the end of March. Of course, it will be extended since infections are just getting started.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Kex
    73hjvz4gmj79.png
    Except that it’s a garbage fabricated image that could have been taken in somebody’s back yard, and NONE of those outbreaks have been even close to as severe as Covid-19.
    • SARS = 2002-2003 (no impact on any U.S. election)
    • Avian = Ongoing since the mid 19th century. 700 cases worldwide reported to W.H.O. since 2003. (no impact on any U.S. election)
    • Swine flu = 2009 (no impact on any U.S. election)
    • MERS = 2012-2013 (so the biggest potential impact would have been after the election, but there was no impact in the U.S. anyway)
    • Ebola = multiple occurrences, most noteworthy in 2013-2016, and 2018-2020 (no impact in the U.S.).
    • Zika = 2015-2016 (no impact in the U.S.).

Trying to make political hay out of this is disingenuous, at best. It may be inconvenient timing for the incumbent, but nobody could have planned for this to happen intentionally, and people are dying by the thousands. The idea of a conspiracy is preposterous.
    Alea jacta est!
  • nooshinjohn
    My wife, who is doctorate level trained in microbiology, immunology and molecular genetics, in addition to being a Doctor of Pharmacy, has a pretty good understanding on this. Her humble opinion is that she has never witnessed such hysteria, comparable in our history ONLY to the Polio scares of the early to mid 20th century.

This, fortunately is a bug that even if it funs through all 6 billion people on the good planet earth, will still have a death rate of less than 2 percent. Polio also maimed and cared survivors for life.

• BlueFox
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Kex wrote: »
    ...Trying to make political hay out of this is disingenuous, at best. It may be inconvenient timing for the incumbent, but nobody could have planned for this to happen intentionally, and people are dying by the thousands. The idea of a conspiracy is preposterous.

The disingenuous behavior I’m seeing (and it’s rampant) is blaming this on the current administration. It’s happening at CNN, MSNBC, and the halls of Congress, and it’s a disgrace. It’s political opportunism at its worst.

LOL.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Kex
    edited March 2020
    Market futures are pointing to a possible rebound tomorrow, but overnight futures are not reliable indicators of what will happen in pre-market trading or when the market opens.

It still seems unlikely that the dust has settled on this. Fewer than 9,000 have been tested in the U.S. (although testing has improved in the past week).

P.S. In comparison, more than 200,000 have already been tested in South Korea, a country with a population of 52 million.
    Post edited by Kex on
    Alea jacta est!
  • Joey_V
    edited March 2020
    In our opinion, my having a doctorate in clinical medicine, along with my wife who has a doctorate in clinical pharmacy, is that while there is a huge amount of hysteria about this virus, there is some bonafide threats of a potential pandemic of this magnitude.

The death rate is not the end all be all of markers for a pathogen’s severity. It is only one of many.
  • Joey_V
    edited March 2020
    Death rate is only 1 parameter measured.

But the way this virus hits you is vastly different than flu.

1. Primary lung, ground zero - in 3 phases.

First phase: Viral reproduction within the 2 classes of lungs cells. mostly killing mucous clearing ciliary ells and t hen flooding the airway with debris and fluids.

Next phase: immune system activates, but dysregulated, killing healthy lung tissue, now clogging up the airways with even more debris.

Third phase: lung damage builds, punched out lesions like a honeycomb occur likely secondary to your own immune system's hyperactive response. These will scar and cause lasting lung defects even if you survive.

2. GI tract - covid19 can enter the GI tract, causing GI sx and allow for fecal route spread.

3. Blood borne - invades the blood stream, causing cell lines to diminish. Look for decreased white count, decreased platelets. Causes a cytokine storm, a final bid for the body to send immune cells to fight off the ifnected tissue, killing the infected tissue.

Covid19 causes a hyperresponse from your body, instead of bringing a gun to a gun fight, the body brings it bazookas. Destroying the virus WHILE causing some significant healthy tissue destruction.

In addition to cytokine storm, the body has dimished o2 carrying capacity/pumping, thereby causing multiorgan failure.

You might not die, you might survive... but don't be surprised if you're not the same as you were before.
  • Kex
    John, you see everything through a political lens.

Some of us are viewing this simply for what it is: a very concerning epidemic for which there is no known cure today, and which may become a worldwide pandemic. It has the potential to cause severe turbulence for the economy and the markets, not to mention the potential to kill hundreds, or thousands of Americans.

There has been nothing even remotely like Covid-19 in terms of severity in recent memory.
    Alea jacta est!
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2020
    Kex wrote: »
    John, you see everything through a political lens.

Some of us are viewing this simply for what it is: a very concerning epidemic for which there is no known cure today, and which may become a worldwide pandemic. It has the potential to cause severe turbulence for the economy and the markets, not to mention the potential to kill hundreds, or thousands of Americans.

There has been nothing even remotely like Covid-19 in terms of severity in recent memory.

Damn the politics, I just want the media to tell the truth without pointing fingers and hyping this to the point that people are beating each other senseless over a box of Mac n Cheese and a roll of Charmin. This is the USA, not Cuba.

• Kex
    Death rate is only 1 parameter measured.

But the way this virus hits you is vastly different than flu.

[...]

You might not die, you might survive... but don't be surprised if you're not the same as you were before.
    Wow, @Joey_V... 😳

A very insightful description, making it seem rather challenging to hype that beyond what already sounds like a life changing diagnosis for some (hopefully not all, especially those under 60).
    Alea jacta est!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    It has the potential to cause severe turbulence for the economy and the markets, not to mention the potential to kill hundreds, or thousands of Americans.

Sad that money is always first and foremost in your comments, people second.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    F1nut wrote: »
    It's tragic that people have died with likely more to do from this virus. However, it's doing no one any good to freak out. People die everyday from such things as disease, age and accidents. This virus is just another unfortunate cause added to the list. Hopefully, at some point some very smart people will figure out how to combat it, but until then it's going to be part of what truly is the fragile life we all live.

Take life day by day because the bottom line is that's all any of us has.

Well said.

And thank you @Joey_V for providing all of that factual information.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
This discussion has been closed.