I hear people are hoarding because of Corona

Has anyone seen this in your area?

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Yes there is no hand soap, toliet paper, paper towels, hand sanitizer and many many cleaners are in very short supply.
    Frickin ridiculous 😡

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited March 2020
    I happened to be in the drug store picking up an Rx on Friday -- while waiting in line (not a long line), I was standing next to the aisle where rubbing alcohol and other such products are stocked. The shelves were empty of everything except witch hazel. I don't know how RNA viruses feel about witch hazel.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Just left a Target store here, and it looked like they got looted on a Black Friday sale. Store-able foods and dry goods, diapers, TP, paper towels, anything and everything that is labeled antibacterial is GONE!

I hated the news media anyway, but now I despise them, and those that are feeding them the bs they are running with. That is all I can say here about that without getting a ban.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Sad, fools, idiots, etc...
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    This is why I love being normally stocked up. The wife and I have not been shopping except for perishables (Milk, bread, eggs) since this Corona thing first started 3 weeks ago. I still have at least a 2 month supply of food, toilet paper. Lysol, cleaners paper towels, alcohol, well water and and at least a half year's worth of supplies for making home made breads. It would suck not having butter, fresh milk or eggs after a while though.

The only thing that would bite and hard is if the electricity goes off because of staffing issues at the power plants. There goes all the meats and other freezables/refrigerated goods. But, there is a good source of wildlife for fresh meat. One of my neighbors even has 3 dogs. Maybe I can get one of those bat's from the nest, cook it with the dog, create another virus and get back at China.

Yeah, I love it when a plan comes together!

Just joking. No, I have not been shopping since this all started other than to buy a new suit. I hear about and have read about hoarding and I just have to laugh. I am used to stupidity in the South though.

Case in point. A 1" snowstorm is forecast. City shuts down and for a week prior to the massive 1" storm hitting? No milk, bread, eggs, snow shovels or beer.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • afterburnt
    I got six months of caned goods at all times, as if I could live off that junk for a month, I would kill myself.
  • afterburnt
    edited March 2020
    I got twenty-six years of snacky cakes though.
    Post edited by afterburnt on
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I got twenty six years of ammo though.

Oh yeah, I got twenty-six years of Cheesy Poofs.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I've got some moon pies from 1968 , you know....just in case stuff gets real.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Happens down here in Texas every time the news reports the possibility of snow/ice. And they do this about a week in advance. Most of the time it never happens. Even if we have a snow/ice storm it will be 70 in the next few days.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    I have started making my own hand sanitizer and toilet paper as a backup measure. If anyone needs some....drop me a PM.

OK....maybe not🙂
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    hoarded but only for a month supply
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    edited March 2020
    I bought some Lysol "Linen scented" and tested it on the bathroom fixtures and it still reeks 8 hours later.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Stocking up on Corona, due to its price dip locally.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Why toilet paper? Just use the sink as a bidet. Problem solved! Wash rinse repeat
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Remind me to never visit your house.....ewww
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    edited March 2020
    We have a whole backyard of leaves, so we are good.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited March 2020
    I was thinking that there's likely to be a big resurgence of interest in bidets after all this kerfuffle blows over...

kevhed72 wrote: »
    We have a whole backyard of leaves, so we are good.
    It's too bad there's no Sears catalog any more, isn't it? :#

Oh -- and PS -- no poison ivy back there, I hope! :*

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Newspapers anyone?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Tony M wrote: »
    Newspapers anyone?

like land lines almost extinct.. We are lucky around here if they have 4 pages
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited March 2020
    Yeah this is getting real weird and out of hand.

East Chula Vista Costco is out of TP, paper towels, rice, beans and some others. Gee they had lots of spam. 2 cases of water per member. Two pallets of Soft Soap were just sitting there untouched.

Was at Walmart RedBox, people leaving with carts full of TP and water. WTF, so I walked around people hording up on canned goods TP and paper towels, almost got to see a chick fight over some noodles.

My daughter went to the exchange on base, gee full shelves. Lowe's right when I walked in had pallets of TP, paper towels and water. Office depot had TP, paper towels and lots of hand sanitizer

Me, living in SoCal I always keep a stock of food and 4 cases of water, we can go a month on canned goods, freezer and baking.

People need to think, the tap water is not going to be shut off. If it is then all that TP is useless. The electric will be on, stores will be open and stocked

We have done one panic thing. We got a couple hundred in $20 bills and put it in the safe. If we get sick or just stuck in the house for two weeks we can pay someone to get us what we need. At least tip the pizza person. Once this blows over we can put it back in the bank.. Costco will just laugh if someone try's to return a truck load of TP or what ever else was over purchased.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Got enough baby wipes to last multiple outbreaks.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited March 2020
    The Mrs, whom I love dearly, watches too much of the Main Stream Media, as she's starting to focus on stocking up on supplies. I teased her about the Zombie Apocalypse, then I got the look. :smile: And we drove to the next store, looking for toilet paper! :smile:

We already doubled out grocery budget this week, but I'm going with it! :wink:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    There wasn't a shortage of anything in our local walmart yesterday that I noticed except for shoppers. Maybe it was the day of the month but to me it was noticeably less busy.
  • Willow
    I think it's time to stock up on audio gear, speakers, cables and lps.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    It's weird, by me all shelves are fully stocked, a few towns over and it looks like Armageddon is about to happen.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    tonyb wrote: »
    It's weird, by me all shelves are fully stocked, a few towns over and it looks like Armageddon is about to happen.

It's the same here. The only thing we noticed and it's only because my daughter bought herself a new bag/purse, she wanted a little bottle of purell, but so far every store we have been to is sold out. Those little ones you can clip on the zipper type.