Options
2»

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    Options
    slow_polk7 wrote: »
    @drumminman

That sounds logical enough, but one need only consider the case of a through-hole component on a PCB to realize that the solder is indeed responsible for current flow.

In that application, yes.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    Options
    I was astounded to learn (not that many years ago) that wire wrap is (as folks would put it today) the best practice for many connections. Apparently wire wrap done properly is gas-tight and mechanically extremely robust.

https://www.jameco.com/Jameco/workshop/TechTip/wirewrap.html
    https://hackaday.com/2018/05/04/ask-hackaday-whatever-happened-to-wire-wrapping/

Like many really timeless electronics innovations, it was (apparently) developed by the "telephone company" way back when.
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    Options
    Umm...no. I used wire-wrap (back in the day) for proto-typing, but I wouldn't want all the parasitic capacitance (and even inductance) that comes along with it...especially in high-frequency or ruggedized environments.
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • Kryten
    Kryten Posts: 79
    Options
    I also remember wire wrapping....Gawd we're getting oldER :# (wait, we are experienced, seasoned)
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,338
    Options
    Then you would use a tool similar to the one below. I purchased one because my Pioneer pl-570 turntable used the wrap method (but soldered also because the pins were round) on power connections for the timing motor that I replaced.

qutt60jaz9kk.png

I still have one of those.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    Not really- the wire should go through the hole and be flat against the trace so the solder flows over top and holds it in place.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • slow_polk7
    slow_polk7 Posts: 33
    edited March 2020
    Options
    drumminman

I (dangerously) assume you are attempting to rebut my statement a ways back in this post.
    drumminman wrote: »
    Not really- the wire should go through the hole and be flat against the trace so the solder flows over top and holds it in place.

IF that were true, you should be happy to eschew solder completely and, using an appropriately high-temp epoxy, simply glue your lead to the pad. In this way, you could completely eliminate the possibility of ever overheating a component, or of lifting a pad.

I'm being facetious, of course, to make a point.
    In your explanation, solder is the equivalent of a piece of scotch tape, holding the lead against the pad. In a proper solder joint, the solder surrounds the lead, allows it to make electrical contact with the entirety of the pad (not just the tiny area the lead is resting on) and even travels a way up the lead towards the body of the component.

Even more troublesome is the fact that to do what you're suggesting one would need to bend each component lead, so that after it passes through the hole, it makes a nearly right-angle bend such that it can lay on the pad and be soldered over.