SDA SRS 2 speakers - no sound

LT1
LT1 Posts: 1
edited March 2020 in Vintage Speakers
Hello,

I am to the Polk Audio forum, helping a 13 yr nephew in West Des Moines get his first audio system started. He recently acquired a pair of 1986 SRS-2 speakers, that appear to be in excellent condition!

On a limited budget, he has them hooked up to a Yamaha Receiver, 100 Watts / 8 Ohms or 165 at 4 Ohms (Dynamic mode).

He is getting no sound. Speaker wires were spliced, so they have been replaced. Has no interconnect cable.

Will be working on a more worthy power source once we get him over this first hurdle of silence.

Looking for a little help to get these firing.

Thanks,

Uncle Fred

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Does he know for a fact that the receiver works? What is he using for a source? Has he selected the proper input?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• windstriker
    windstriker Posts: 136
    Do u have another receiver/amp to test with the speakers? Or maybe another pair of speakers to hook up to the receiver?

Not having the interconnected is not a problem as far as getting sound from them, but getting a new cable is highly recommended.

He didn't accidently touch the neg and pos together right while the receiver was on? O and sorry to ask this but it's the classic question. Is the receiver plugged in?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited March 2020
    On most blade/blade series of SDA, without the interconnect some of the speakers do not work. The dimensional driver side will not be active.
    We do have several members in the area who could help out. Maybe they will see this and offer to take a look.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    On most blade/blade series of SDA, without the interconnect some of the speakers do not work. The dimensional driver side will not be active.
    This is NOT TRUE of any Gen 3 or newer SDAs, including the entire SDA-SRS family.

On Gen 3 and newer, the SDA inductor provides "Stereo" bass signal to the "SDA" drivers, they produce bass even when the SDA interconnect is removed.

As I recall, what you're saying is true only for the SDA-1, 1 Signature, 1A, SDA 2, (but not 2A), and--maybe--the first of the SDA-CRS.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited March 2020
    Good to know as I was thinking the first gen of the SRS 2 might be the same. My SDA2a had very little sound coming from dimensional side without the IC connected. To my ears it was almost sympathetic sound/movement from the active stereo driver.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    The SDA drivers will produce sounds below 150Hz with the SDA cable disconnected.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk