Monitor 6 Series 2 -- manual, set up ?

Options
=JeffH
=JeffH Posts: 3
edited December 2008 in Vintage Speakers
Hi,

I just picked up a used set of Monitor 6 Series 2 -- two satellite speakers & passive subwoofer.

Anybody have a diagram and/or the manual for these, or can describe correctly how to wire them up? The Polk site doesn't have the manual online.

thanks,

=JeffH
Post edited by =JeffH on

Comments

• =JeffH
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Ok, I called customer support and these are so old (1981-1985) that they no longer have any material available for them. The way they are hooked up in my case, with satellite speakers having only a single pair of binding posts, is to "T" the subwoofer off of the lines going to the sat speakers, either at the sats or at the amp. Or, if the amp has an otherwise unused pair of speaker outputs, e.g. "speaker set B", use that to power the sub (and run the amp with both speaker sets A and B turned on simultaneously, all the time).

=JeffH
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I've never heard of Monitor 6's... could you post some pics? Sounds like early home theater, perhaps. I wonder if they originally had an amp combined with them that had the powered sub output?
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • =JeffH
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Ok, so I hooked these up at my son's house last night and they sound pretty good. We wired it up using the "speaker A" receiver output to the satellites, and the "speaker B" receiver output to the sub, and just run the amp with speakers A & B turned on all the time.

The hi-pass and low-pass filters in the satellites and sub, respectfully, work quite well -- we tested them by simply turning off either the sats or the sub individually and listening to them. It appeared that neither one was attempting to needlessly reproduce freqs they weren't capable of.

These units are apparently at least 25 yrs old and my son was asking me if they are brand new -- the owner took very good care of them (apparently a non-smoker household), and the foam surrounds in the sats are pristine.

My only concern is that the sub cabinet doesn't have any obvious way to open it that I could easily see, so it might be a bit challenging to re-foam the woofers within, but for now we apparently don't need to be concerned.

thanks,

=JeffH
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Do you need to replace the surround on the woofer?
  • Jonesy
    Jonesy Posts: 189
    edited October 2008
    Options
    These were my first set of Polks (94 or 95 I think). I bought them with a center and surrounds for a prologic setup. I still have the sub/sats. I believe I have the manual. If you are interested you can PM your email and I'll scan a copy for you.

They do a pretty good job. I actually put the sub back into service a couple years ago when I hooked up a pair of aperion 422's in the bedroom.
  • justpolkin
    justpolkin Posts: 1
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I have what your looking for. I keept all the info when I bought mine years ago. Do you still need the info?
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,028
    Options
    Justpolkin: I'll take a copy of it, if you *still* have it. Thank you in advance.
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    Options
    CGTIII wrote: »
    Justpolkin: I'll take a copy of it, if you *still* have it. Thank you in advance.

From 8 years ago and he hasn't been back since? Good luck with that...
  • rcfields
    rcfields Posts: 2
    Options
    I still have my 6's and I bought them in '90-91. Still working flawlessly, and will play as loud as I want. Great for my mains in my surround system.
  • pavlograd
    pavlograd Posts: 25
    Options
    I have a set of these I've had since mid 80's. Yes, you can wire the satelites to Speaker system A, and the sub to Speaker system B, and play both together, or.... if you wire then all to the same set of posts, you will then be halving the impedance. I believe they are 8 impedance so if you connected the sub's 2 sets of inputs to the same 2 posts as the satelites, then you would be going against a 4 ohm resistance. Should be ok, but your amp will have to work harder.
  • pavlograd
    pavlograd Posts: 25
    Options
    Oh, there is a way to get inside the sub box. It is pretty obvious, so I don't know why so many ask. There are 12 screws that you remove from the 'back' where the terminals are. Then, that 'back' will slide out with both woofers mounted to another board which is attached to that back board.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,500
    Options
    Since the satellite speakers have a high pass filter built in and the woofer has a low pass filter when the speakers are connected in parallel the total impedance remains unchanged. The satellite's impedance doesn't interact with the woofer's.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,338
    edited January 31
    Options
    y9jiqgo530y7.jpg
    I remember the Monitor 6 at Stansbury in Dundalk in the early 90's. This pic is surprisingly all I have in my collection.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601