Mazzy Star - Recommendations?

Options
https://youtu.be/ImKY6TZEyrI

So, I was watching a TV show earlier on today with the wife. I heard a sound bite that lasted about 2 seconds and I asked my wife if she knew who it was. To my surprise, she knew.

Turns out it was this lady. I like her voice and was instantaneously drawn to her over the course of the 2 seconds I heard her. So, I checked out her song on You Tube and it sounds like a crappy recording that was lost to the loudness wars.

Does anyone know her or happen to have any of her albums?

I'd like to buy some but don't want to waste my money on something that sounds like crap. What say you?

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,683
    Options
    Mazzy Star is a band that included Hope Sandoval on vocals and guitarist/co-founder Dave Roback, who died 2 days ago. (Thus, the sound bite.)

Their biggest hit was called "Fade Into You" from the album "So Tonight That I Might See". To me, it is one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs of the 90s. I have a redbook CD of that album, but it has been so long (25 years), I can't comment on sound quality.

I have seen this live version (below) a few times in the last couple of years. I like blondes, but I am sure I am not the only one thinking what I am thinking when I watch this clip. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FdP0eS47ts
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    I remember this song also getting some air play from the album "She Hangs Brightly".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzWYUomBpwg
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,172
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I have all 4 CD's from Mazzy Star. So many great songs...check out Into Dust (Original Gears Of War 3 soundtrack), Rhymes of an Hour, Look on Down from the Bridge, Hallal. In 2001 she went on to create a band called Hope Sandoval and The Warm Inventions. Check out the song Liquid Lady from the Until the Hunter album.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • michaeljhsda2
    edited February 2020
    Options
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    SDA 2B TL's
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,683
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I couldn't get that link to work, but here is "Into Dust".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiO_7LhPZFM
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,325
    Options
    michaeljhsda2, how would you describe the recording quality? Any album better than the others? It sounds like they mess around with phase but from what I have heard so far? The recordings don't sound too terribly good.

The one you posted at 9:37 and edited is the best sound I have heard from her yet. Just wondering if I need to reserve her to the shop rig or if the recordings are good enough to go on the main rig. (Think Adele and her loudness and compression issues).

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • michaeljhsda2
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Tom, I think the recordings are good, not sure if they have any remasters but I'm happy with the quality. They don't rock n' roll so their music is more geared to laid back, light night listening. I would definitely play it on the main rig. Maybe check out their songs through streaming to get a feel for their music before you commit to physical media.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    SDA 2B TL's
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,445
    Options
    Jebus Tom, is this how Russ came to coin the phrase, "SHUT UP TOM!"? B)

Maybe try streaming the albums, and then maybe hop on Discogs to read up on the different releases. In the comments section, people sometimes write about the quality of a particular relaese. I did just that for one particularly poorly pressed album from MZ. But I still listen to it instead of streaming it sometimes, though it's on my list to replace. Someday.
    I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Jebus Tom, is this how Russ came to coin the phrase, "SHUT UP TOM!"? B)
    Yes. Drives him nuckin' futz!

Here is why I am the way I am. Blew about 36 or so bucks (shipped) on the Grateful Dead's, "Mars Hotel" MFSL Ultradisc UHR SACD. Even got it in a low number (#206). Put it in and hit play....never made it to my seat. I kept fast forwarding to the next song because it sounded like I was brought back to sitting in a convertible Corvair back in the 70's listening to a crappy 8 track in the middle of a loud city.

That CD instantly got put up into the "investment" stash. I will not ever try to listen to it again. It just sounded bad. My first thought was, "Why bother"?

Don't get me wrong, some folks absolutely love it. They love the music and can see past the recording. On this one? I can't It simply sounds veiled, not well recorded at all and there was NO sense in putting this on an SACD IMO. It may bring some folks back to a memory or a special place in their mind but I was never a GD fan and there is zero sentimental value for the music to me at all. At all. So, I wasted my money.

I just so happen to dig the way she (Mazzy Star) seems to sing. It's odd and not normal with a great voice from what I have heard so far. I'd buy all 4 albums but will start asking for recommendations moving forward so I have music I can listen too instead of "investments". Heck, I'll probably die before I cash in on the investment anyways so in my mind, I just wasted my money.

Tom

• treitz3
    Options
    I would definitely play it on the main rig.
    The rig is currently under construction of sorts, so the network and LP part of the rig are down right now until I do some custom work on other aspects of the rig. I need to rely on others. With that said...

Which album would you play on the main rig or are you saying all of them? Any particular album you like music or performance wise better than others?

Tom

• michaeljhsda2
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    msg wrote: »
    sounded like I was brought back to sitting in a convertible Corvair back in the 70's listening to a crappy 8 track in the middle of a loud city.
    LOL, that's pretty bad.

I highly recommend listening to all 4 albums, beginning to end. There's very few songs I don't like, they're that good IMHO. Also check out her post Mazzy band Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions (3 albums). I have the Until the Hunter CD, their last album release. I need to check out the first 2 albums...
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    SDA 2B TL's
  • treitz3
    Options
    Will do. Thank you sir.

Tom
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    B) You're welcome.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    SDA 2B TL's