Scary virus outbreak in China

Comments

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,893
    Doomsday scenarios, or panic, are not helpful. Complacency is probably not a great idea either. The number of cases in Italy has exploded far beyond what is happening in France, Germany, Spain or the U.K.

Covid-19 Evacuees Allowed To Leave Travis AFB

Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Actually, Tom, that’s not exactly correct. That does not include the cases repatriated from the cruise ship in Japan. There are currently 60 known cases in the U.S.A., but 6 of those have already recovered. No deaths so far.

John Hopkins CSSE Reporting
    Alea jacta est!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    A month in Chicago, No panic,.....just sayin
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Kex
    Considering how many flights happen in the U.S. every day, and how many people share public places like restaurants, stores, schools etc. every day, the impact does seem very modest so far, but the CDC has warned that it will probably get worse.

Only time will tell how much worse.
    Alea jacta est!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230

Kex wrote: »
    Actually, Tom, that’s not exactly correct. That does not include the cases repatriated from the cruise ship in Japan. There are currently 60 known cases in the U.S.A., but 6 of those have already recovered. No deaths so far.
    treitz3 wrote: »
    The fact is, around 50-70 or so people in America have supposedly contracted the virus. We probably have an estimated 350 million people (legally and illegally) residing in the US.

Need to work on the reading comprehension. This is what I said. The 14 is from the article YOU posted.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Kex
    No need to get upset, dude, with the bold type. We are just having a discussion here. It’s not a war.
    Alea jacta est!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    edited February 2020
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Personally I would have preferred a bit more honesty. For example, saying that while the current outbreak in the US is minor at some point it will get much worse. The point is to be prepared. For example, I have about three weeks of food and beer, and tomorrow I will get another two weeks. The problem I have is my freezer is almost full.

Dang Bud your Paranoia knows no boundaries, I'm not sure what has happened since your retirement but it's apparent there is something there my friend. At your age you should be more afraid of the flu it has a better/higher probability of taking you out.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    7pxd4qnccstt.jpg

I was one-half block from ^^ UNMC this afternoon. I'm tired and I just sneezed onto my computer monitor while being logged in to this forum. Everyone better check their temps and get your affairs in order tomorrow. :)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Personally I would have preferred a bit more honesty. For example, saying that while the current outbreak in the US is minor at some point it will get much worse. The point is to be prepared. For example, I have about three weeks of food and beer, and tomorrow I will get another two weeks. The problem I have is my freezer is almost full.

Dang Bud your Paranoia knows no boundaries, I'm not sure what has happened since your retirement but it's apparent there is something there my friend. At your age you should be more afraid of the flu it has a better/higher probability of taking you out.

Maybe we need to send Bud some tinfoil...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Kex
    He’d be happier if we sent him a second freezer, more beer and more groceries! 😉
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    This Report is also interesting.

If you watch the included video, the measures being taken to clean a railway station in South Korea are quite extraordinary. It’s hard to imagine anything like that happening in the U.S.A.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Dang Bud your Paranoia knows no boundaries...
    Bud was very seriously ill recently, IIRC. Maybe that has warranted some additional concerns in his case.
    Alea jacta est!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    WARNING!!!! WARNING!!! WARNING!!!

This is an important public service announcement!

It has been discovered that CoViD 19 is now being spread through currency. I have devised a comprehensive test. Send me your paper currency (coins are not carriers of this virus, unless they predate 1910 and are in mint condition) and I will personally test them all for free. I will immediately burn the exposed samples and return the clean ones. No charge.

Will offer a 10% discount on return shipping for friends and family of the Polk Community. Spread the word...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Bud was very seriously ill recently, IIRC. Maybe that has warranted some additional concerns in his case.

Yes, I have been hospitalized twice since November, however that has no relation to my current stocking of food. If it turns out the virus is a false alarm then great. That means instead of going to the grocery store every week I can skip it for 4-5 weeks. Then again if the virus hits big time I can have some food when supplies are disrupted.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Something that definitely caught my attention and jived with my own thinking from:

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/trump-hold-news-conference-6pmet-dispel-medias-fake-news-panicking-over-virus-outbreak?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+zerohedge/feed+(zero+hedge+-+on+a+long+enough+timeline,+the+survival+rate+for+everyone+drops+to+zero)

One thing does make our eyebrows raise a little is the CDC official that raised what is somewhat unprecedented alerts yesterday has an interesting family linkage.

Dr. Nancy Messonnier, the CDC Director of the Center for the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, warned ominously that:

"As more and more countries experience community spread, successful containment at our borders becomes harder and harder. It’s not a question of if this will happen but when this will happen and how many people in this country will have severe illnesses.

...Disruption to everyday life might be severe...

...We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad."

In addition, Messonnier warned that it may soon become necessary for schools and businesses to greatly restrict person to person contact...

The CDC outlined what schools and businesses will likely need to do if the COVID-19 virus becomes an epidemic outbreak in the U.S. Schools should consider dividing students into smaller groups or close and use “internet-based tele-schooling,” Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters on a conference call.

“For adults, businesses can replace in-person meetings with video or telephone conferences and increase teleworking options,” Messonnier said.

Can you ever recall a top CDC official ever making statements this ominous?

Well, it turns out Dr. Nancy Messonnier is the sister of the former Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein who appointed Special Counsel Robert Mueller.

Could she be part of the resistance?

Remember, it was reported that CDC employees cried when Trump was elected.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • https://www.zerohedge.com/political/trump-hold-news-conference-6pmet-dispel-medias-fake-news-panicking-over-virus-outbreak?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+zerohedge/feed+(zero+hedge+-+on+a+long+enough+timeline,+the+survival+rate+for+everyone+drops+to+zero)

One thing does make our eyebrows raise a little is the CDC official that raised what is somewhat unprecedented alerts yesterday has an interesting family linkage.

Dr. Nancy Messonnier, the CDC Director of the Center for the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, warned ominously that:

"As more and more countries experience community spread, successful containment at our borders becomes harder and harder. It’s not a question of if this will happen but when this will happen and how many people in this country will have severe illnesses.

...We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad."

In addition, Messonnier warned that it may soon become necessary for schools and businesses to greatly restrict person to person contact...

The CDC outlined what schools and businesses will likely need to do if the COVID-19 virus becomes an epidemic outbreak in the U.S. Schools should consider dividing students into smaller groups or close and use “internet-based tele-schooling,” Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters on a conference call.

“For adults, businesses can replace in-person meetings with video or telephone conferences and increase teleworking options,” Messonnier said.

Can you ever recall a top CDC official ever making statements this ominous?

Well, it turns out Dr. Nancy Messonnier is the sister of the former Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein who appointed Special Counsel Robert Mueller.

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Google up "pandemic bonds", never knew such a thing existed.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    If I am flying next week, should I coat my eyes with anti bacterial/viral sanitation every few minutes while spraying Lysol around me and down my throat in the airplane cabin as well?
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited February 2020

Quote Gardenstater

^^^ Thinking ahead, but certainly hoping this resolves prior to any hysteria. I don't relish the idea of going into several homes each week at that point. Maybe lenders will opt for exterior appraisals if conditions worsen. I certainly don't want to show up at someone's door in a bio-hazard suit. I'm scary enough.

• Kex
    ...Can you ever recall a top CDC official ever making statements this ominous?

Talk about a conspiracy theory, dude. That is the epitome of fake news.
    Alea jacta est!
  • It's just an opinion. How can that be fake? Anyway, I agree TOTALLY that a statement like that is not in keeping with the normally conservative statements made by the CDC, and this is an election year, with an incumbent president that prides himself and has used as a badge of performance, the gains made by the stock market. Look what is happening to said stock market..........
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Kex
    This is an absolute gift to any investor.

All things being equal (nothing is ever certain), the market will bounce back before long. This is the only way to buy stocks that reported excellent earnings just weeks ago at a bargain price. Anyone who doesn’t know how to take advantage of that is an amateur with little understanding of how the market works, and should probably just stick to mutual funds, or not invest at all.

Currently, there is no reason whatsoever to think that the market will not look good long before the election. Currently. The outlook could change, but tariffs have been hanging over the market for a far longer period than COVID-19.
    Alea jacta est!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471

Yea I'm well aware.
  • halen wrote: »
    If I am flying next week, should I coat my eyes with anti bacterial/viral sanitation every few minutes while spraying Lysol around me and down my throat in the airplane cabin as well?

Yes but I'd use colloidal silver drops for the eyes and nasal spray and gargle with H2O2 as well. Why not be careful?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    edited February 2020
    This is an absolute gift to any investor.

All things being equal (nothing is ever certain), the market will bounce back before long. This is the only way to buy stocks that reported excellent earnings just weeks ago at a bargain price. Anyone who doesn’t know how to take advantage of that is an amateur with little understanding of how the market works, and should probably just stick to mutual funds, or not invest at all.

Currently, there is no reason whatsoever to think that the market will not look good long before the election. Currently. The outlook could change, but tariffs have been hanging over the market for a far longer period than COVID-19.

Bear in mind that consumer facing companies have not incorporated the corona virus impact into their forward guidance and if the dire warnings of Dr. Messonnier come to pass at all (or if the market just fears it will), there will be lots of guidance warnings and reductions to come from these companies and analyst downgrades. Who knows at this point how bad it can get or how long it will last?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    I've already been asked about setting up 211 call center services to allow
    working from employees homes.
    A lot of government entities are looking at this long term.
    As far as I can figure, best to treat this as a hard case of the flu.
    A really nasty strain ripped through the city a couple of months ago.
    This may be worse, but i'm pretty sure it's NOT like the Spanish flu.
    It's not going to kill 10%. It will however suck big time.
    It's not going end the world. It will provide the press and the internet with lots of cheap amusement. Welcome to 2020.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited February 2020
    After seeing the Eagles in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago, I decided to reread an article written by Doug Monroe in February 2016 that appeared in several Atlanta publications. The article describes his battle with a superbug. It mentioned the illness of Glenn Frey, and I had an "aha" moment when I read it the first time regarding that we have some control of our illnesses.

When Glenn Frey died, most all of the media said it was because of “complications” of rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis and pneumonia. Glenn Frey was in the NYC hospital to have surgery because of ulcerative colitis. He never had the surgery because the pneumonia could not be stopped. The article says when you read an obituary that says someone died from “complications” from pneumonia, cancer or some other condition, it generally means they died from sepsis.

Sepsis strikes 1.5 million Americans each year, killing 258,000 — more than breast cancer, prostate cancer and AIDS combined. Sepsis is the No. 1 reason patients are readmitted to hospitals. So far, Congress hasn’t allocated any funds to fight it.

Reading this article was my first introduction to to the "why" of probiotics, especially one which is a yeast-based probiotic, Florastor. Many other probiotics are bacteria-based and their effectiveness can be diminished by antibiotics.

A week or two later, I saw Florastor mentioned again in the office of an gastroenterologist prior to a colonoscopy of a friend. I purchased Florastor and starting taking it the next day.

Bud, I think you may feel better re the corona virus if you read this article, especially since you have been hospitalized recently.

Fixing to Die
    http://specials.myajc.com/fixing-to-die/
    Battle with deadly superbug upends writer’s life.
    He’s one of the lucky ones.

Post edited by BlueBirdMusic on
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Coronavirus infects woman in Japan for the second time, a first in the country.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-infects-woman-in-japan-for-the-second-time-a-first-in-the-country
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
This discussion has been closed.