What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Nice job! Were these dramatic improvements over the stock tonearm and RCA wiring?
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited February 2020
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nice job! Were these dramatic improvements over the stock tonearm and RCA wiring?

Thanks.

Well, that's going to be part 2 of this endeavor. Once finished I leveled the table and went for a test run. I immediately heard a lot of distortion and shut it down. I double-checked the stylus and found that my DL301 Mk2 had the tip torn off.

3yxhyfktqjep.jpg

Wasn't like this when I played it last. Cover was down, tonearm locked, but many months of foot traffic from kids so there's no way for me to say who may have done it. Mine know not to use it, but with all the friends that have been inside, anything is possible.

I know for a fact it has sat for about 8 months, unused, and when I pulled the headshell to work on it, it was placed in a secure location. My guess it was tried to have been played and the stylus landed on the timing blocks on the platter...but who knows....cannot accuse anyone.

Now I'm looking for an upgrade, been eyeballing the Audio Technica AT33SA or another Denon...the AT is pricey.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Oh that's super frustrating! I'm sorry about the damaged stylus.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    😢 been there. So feel your pain. Haven’t listened to an LP since ‘96 for the same reason
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited February 2020

gmcman wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »

Thanks.

Well, that's going to be part 2 of this endeavor. Once finished I leveled the table and went for a test run. I immediately heard a lot of distortion and shut it down. I double-checked the stylus and found that my DL301 Mk2 had the tip torn off.

3yxhyfktqjep.jpg

Wasn't like this when I played it last. Cover was down, tonearm locked, but many months of foot traffic from kids so there's no way for me to say who may have done it. Mine know not to use it, but with all the friends that have been inside, anything is possible.

I know for a fact it has sat for about 8 months, unused, and when I pulled the headshell to work on it, it was placed in a secure location. My guess it was tried to have been played and the stylus landed on the timing blocks on the platter...but who knows....cannot accuse anyone.

Now I'm looking for an upgrade, been eyeballing the Audio Technica AT33SA or another Denon...the AT is pricey.

I remounted my Denon DL-103R yesterday. A great sounding cartridge for the price IMHO.

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-DL-103R-Moving-Coil-Cartridge/dp/B000OC1QTS#customerReviews
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    OldmanSRS wrote: »
    Mike, I did build another one before this one to use with the original VTF-3 for a pair of them in the basement garage/shop where I do the work. The problem is, Parts Express sold out of the HSU amps and speaker. They were a factory buyout, limited quantity sale.

sbuwyajc75d4.jpg
    m9p7wpciwgxo.jpg
    mtyos445wm18.jpg
    0updhnrxsz63.jpg
    qqcrh3897k6f.jpg
    5r3jrcfxtjb0.jpg
    d7tminz8s69m.jpg
    ktzomh0ral4r.jpg
    foizfqa1x8sj.jpg
    7wy3jylpuzyn.jpg
    lff3gpv3n6ex.jpg

Dang dude, you got some mad skills going on in that shop. Wish you were my neighbor bro. :) Looks awesome.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Building the cat proof SDA SRS exoskeleton enclosure covers inspired me to build a new subwoofer. I used the HSU Research VTF-3 250W plate amp and their 12" driver purchased from Parts Express and cloned the cabinet out of the same materials and to the same quality and dimensions as the original VTF-3 that I own. I maintained the Polk SRS styling queues in the home made "Polk Sub". It sounds EXACTLY like the VTF-3. Sorry, I don't now why the pics don't post in the order I loaded them.

w3lspk9bjp6q.jpg
    33ao42dkpqp0.jpg
    9i6v8evqeiwk.jpg
    5vlf2au2dg62.jpg
    ubqrqnl08zmk.jpg
    7sbypoudf61r.jpg
    adxpwg6kaxhj.jpg
    yk5kelsvirhs.jpg
    e3xrokt83g0c.jpg
    s9e9fm4zj342.jpg
    6ph4gx2bomb6.jpg
    5bn6ybeax5vw.jpg
    duqt09qwdsep.jpg
    3wk1t8r1pk5a.jpg
    fovia4qrtcn8.jpg
    nf4xisstr5z9.jpg
    7ociaf56dlyu.jpg
    bpp7mrgo4qsu.jpg
    ic292demavgy.jpg
    pa67mtmni93h.jpg
    3l2qc52evkwc.jpg
    p68djzuy2swu.jpg
    q3x70rqz0eqm.jpg

That is outstanding work. Looks incredible.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    One of these days I need to clean my shop. Lol. You have a nice, neat shop. Nice work too.
  • gp4jesus
    Stunning craftsmanship😊
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Outstanding!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited February 2020
    tonyp063 wrote: »
    Never mind the subs, that Cobra intrigues me the most.

foizfqa1x8sj.jpg

Who cares about speakers when there’s a Cobra to drive! I want to know what’s parked against the wall in front of the boat.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Stunning craftsmanship😊

I hate talented people. I feel so inadequate :^ /
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • nooshinjohn
    So many witty and sarcastic replies to that comment, yet so little time.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616

I want to know what’s parked against the wall in front of the boat.

His signature has two cars listed, the '65 Cobra (which you can see) and a '72 Triumph TR-6 (might be what's in front of the boat against the wall?).
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    edited February 2020
    Yes, tell us about the Cobra. Is it original or a kit car and what kind of power?

Love the color combo BTW on the Cobra.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited February 2020
    maybe it is...

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Absolutely beautiful sub, @OldmanSRS ! Wow! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Milito wrote: »
    Yes, tell us about the Cobra. Is it original or a kit car and what kind of power?

His signature says: "'65 427 Shelby AC Cobra"
    Milito wrote: »
    Love the color combo BTW on the Cobra.

I agree! The Cobra has always been one of my favorite cars. It looks like it's eating the road >:)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Great build on the Cobra.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Both are wow vehicles.
    (didn't know wow was an adjective, did y'all?)
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I guess y'all don't have salt on the roads down in Tennessee? B)
  • This year only one time and the rain washed it off the next day. I don't drive them on salty roads, ever.
    '65 427 Shelby Cobra
    '72 Triumph TR-6
    '05 HSU VTF-3 Sub (Original OEM)
    '20 HSU VTF-3 Sub (three more, 100% cloned)
    '93 Carver TFM-35
    '88 Carver M-1.0t
    '88 Adcom GFT-555
    '88 Adcom GFP-555
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (upgraded/restored)
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (a second one upgraded/restored)
    '05 Onkyo DV-555 media
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix, internal surround amp bridged to drive only a center channel
    '91 Kenwood Basic M1D Amp
    '89 Pioneer Laser Disc media
    '89 Sony SuperBeta HiFi media
    One PGA2310 based custom built remote volume control
    Four Polk T-15's
    Two Polk TSi-200's
    Two Polk TSi-100's
    Two Polk CS-10's

• indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Love that TR6.
  • gp4jesus
    edited February 2020
    Some of you ask about the TR6: 1972, unrestored except for I did respray the hardtop and fixed a rip in the headliner. the soft top is original.

That's awesome.....thanks for sharing.
    IIRC 1972 was a good year, maybe the last decent year for TR6s. ’73 or ‘74 and up pollution controls, though easily removed, strangled all the Brit imports.
    Former MG Midget & Triumph GT6😊 owner.

• Same was true of the 1972 Datsun 240Z which was the last year that wasn't strangled by emission controls. I bought a 1973 that I basically had to convert to a 72 by changing the carburetors, not to mention headers and a 2-1/2" exhaust. I miss that car......
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform