Universal disc player comparsion

Options
geppy1
geppy1 Posts: 3,071
edited February 2020 in 2 Channel Audio
This is from a post I put on another thread that I thought I would share here. I could write a ton of reviews of gear I have compared head to head and go into a ton of detail but being legally blind and trying to bang stuff out on a computer is not fun. Here is the short version on universals compared.

I agree I have a 105D here and spent weeks comparing universal players as well as a Sony SCD CA 333 E5 5 disc unit even Stereophile liked. I also had a Rega Saturn and SA 8005 and another Denon BDP 2012ci here I tried different cables different speakers to the point of getting sick of it . My wife also helped in tests She thought she was done when I left the audio bizz NOPE, worse then ever. I think the Sony was best for CD (big surprise as it is a dedicated CD SACD player ) but my top universal pick comes close My effort was trying to end up with a universal. This was also all verified through headphone, different speakers and ICs. YOUR MILEAGE AND TASTES MAY VARY

I wanted the Oppo 105D to be it because it does everything even though I do not know how to use most of the streaming stuff It is slightly lean, the bass strong but not tight. It is slightly to the warm side and spacious Warm and lean I do not like. It is information driven but not harsh or clinical. One guy who did a comparison said it was slightly grey That makes sense to me I do see why folks like it .

The 7007 was noticeably more rich . Everything had more body to it and sounded more real with sharper outlines. Came from a blacker background Bolder images. Like someone focused a lens Just more musical and dimensional. A slightly smaller stage HOWEVER lacked vertical openness and extension which limits the live feel. Just closed in on top Like the PM 15S2 I had a few years ago. Always felt like I was looking at the floor when I closed my eyes.

The Denon (which was player of the year in 2012) is the same as a Marantz UD 7006 with each division doing their own audio tweaks. The reviewers were right this player has great sound for CDs. It is rich full and clear and whether a DVD or CD going from the 7007 to the 2012 ones head immediately lifted as more vertical extension and openness . It is just slightly less beefy then the 7007 but seems better balanced.

I also had a Sony BDP5000 here for 2 weeks until it died so I cannot be sure. Very natural sound but slightly washed out. Better then the Oppo and less body then the Marantz and Denon . Big sound. Wish I had tested it more Some say it has the same DACS and audio board as the 5400 SACD player

Then this weekend I picked up a Primare I30 integrated HOLY CRAP Now I may have to start all over.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    Very nice Keith !! Bout time you filtered some info from all that flipping man :D:D:D

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    If you want to sell that 105D, let me know;-)
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Primare I30 Has gotten lots of good accolades from basically everywhere in the audio community. Your gonna have to fill us in with more details as you warm up your ears to it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable