Unburied Advents

Options
I just unburied these Advents from my dad's stash.
jwrqiiqzjpfy.jpg
I'll definitely refoam the woofers...not really concerned about the mid dustcap press-in.

The grills/screens (as well as the wood caps) are immaculate.
em7lg1nex85s.jpg
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    edited February 2020
    Options
    There's a good thread on identifying Advents at AK.

Somewhat on topic -- I've had a couple of pairs of Legacy IIs (quite similar to those but sans MR) pass through here. These were Jensen era (maybe even Recoton era) Advents, with zero cachet, but, you know what? They're not bad at all. Not bad at all.

24766142461_ea6034c634_b.jpg109 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I just used cheap generic surrounds to refoam them.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    A while back, I also found some baby Advent II (from the same stash), refoamed them, and had favorable results :)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Yeah, the Baby Advent II ain't bad, neither. Very, very modest -- but not bad.
    I'm not helping much vis-a-vis the thread topic, though, am I? :/

24564116830_9f96de403f_b.jpg123 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Mark, I think these I have are the Advent Maestro. I look forward to getting new surrounds on them, and see what they can do.
  • codycatalist
    Options
    That dustcap push in shouldn't be a big deal to fix.

I have some 25th Anniversary NLA that I refoamed and cleaned up. Due to size constraints I have those working in place of the SDA 2Bs. Very easy to listen to and good tight bass.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    What's "NLA"? Trying to look up the model out of curiosity.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    New Large Advent.
    Which is what they were called by Kloss/Advent at the time.
    Us cool 21st Century guys call 'em NLA B)
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Thanks. That must be what is in all the audio shops when I bought my 7B's. I remember liking their sound at the time. It was a warm sound as I remember. Didn't seem as accurate as the Polks which I went with. This is them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGbknARs4ew

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Of-Original-Large-Advent-Speakers-With-Oiled-Walnut-Veneer-Cabinets/163999348258?hash=item262f1f7622:g:v5sAAOSwWkdd~iBL
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Thanks. That must be what is in all the audio shops when I bought my 7B's. I remember liking their sound at the time. It was a warm sound as I remember. Didn't seem as accurate as the Polks which I went with. This is them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGbknARs4ew

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Of-Original-Large-Advent-Speakers-With-Oiled-Walnut-Veneer-Cabinets/163999348258?hash=item262f1f7622:g:v5sAAOSwWkdd~iBL

Your description fits the Kloss/Advent sound as I remember it, too, in spades (as they say). I can also say (IMO/IME... and FWIW) that modernizing the (very simple) crossover with a decent film (e.g.) capacitor improves the 'transparency' of the OLA (Original Large Advent), at least, quite a bit.

46jlyedjjrec.png
    sbs2ybny6m06.png
    0bu2apkyjvfj.png

A three page ad for the New Advent! :p
    source: https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/70s/Audio-1977-06.pdf
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,701
    Options
    I was surprised to see the thin layer of expanded foam? on the baffle.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/speaker-project-gallery/1335205-advent-maestro-speaker-restoration
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    You can see a chunk came off the top-left in my pic. The other speaker is okay, but a slight separation from the baffle on the top. It crumbles very easily.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    You can see a chunk came off the top-left in my pic. The other speaker is okay, but a slight separation from the baffle on the top. It crumbles very easily.

That stuff doesn't age well. Back in the day that was how they treated for reflections from the front baffle.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    jdjohn wrote: »

That stuff doesn't age well. Back in the day that was how they treated for reflections from the front baffle.

Turns to dust and/or goop*.
    sometimes goopy dust.