Hit in the parking lot

So my truck was hit by someone in a parking lot who did not bother to leave a note. $1100 worth of damage. I do not want to file a claim because I'll end up paying half that anyway in the deductible plus my rates will go up. People like this really suck.

Comments

• msgmsg Posts: 5,554
    I don't think your rates go up on comprehensive claims, only on liability ones where you're at fault. Prob depends on the insurance company, though.
    But yeah, people suck.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 9,023
    Can you get a video from ANY place around where this happened?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 1,459
    People suck.
    Too much stuff to keep track of.

Currently enjoying: Legacy Focus 20/20, McCormack DNA 225, Bill D C1, Oppo 105
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 9,028
    My passenger mirror is busted because of one of these people in a parking lot. I haven't replaced it because I don't really use that mirror much anyway, I look over my shoulder.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • aiconnaiconn Registered User Posts: 260
    It may not cost you that much. A lot of policies have different deductibles for no/under insured claims. Mine is $200 while my standard liability/collision is $500.
    PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Preamp
    Denon DVD 2910
    Quad 12L Active Monitors
    Marin Logan Dynamo 700W
  • WillowWillow Posts: 10,071
    I think it falls under hit and run which you would possibly pay the deductible and rates do not go up.
    2Ch- B&W 703, SVS PB10 NSD, Marantz NR1607, Parasound 1500a, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Yellow) with Acrylic platter, Pro-Ject phono pre, MIT AVT 2 speaker cables, MIT AVT 1 and AVT 2 ICs, XLO Jumpers, Signal Dig Coax, Signal Cable Magic Power Cables x3, Samsung 55JS7000, Harmony 1100, Sony BDP-S6200, Marantz DV-4200 (as Transport), Cambridge Audio DAC Magic100, Monster 3600MKII, Android Mi Box3 and Apple TV. - Pool /Gazebo Yamaha RX-A1010, Polk Patio 25x4, Rotel RDV 1045 (as CDP) MIT AVT3 ICs - Work - Spotify Premium or Neutron App to my FiiO Kunlun into my Grado SR125e

• tonybtonyb Posts: 32,433
    Might be considered vandalism, which then it won't go against your record and deductibles may not apply.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 16,327
    edited February 21
    Happened to a friend of mine, he went to management and asked to see the video of that day and time he was rewarded with make and model as well as a license plate number. He took it to the police who arrested the person for hit and run among other things. Your insurance company would love to have that to go after them with.
    It's worth a try you're not on a fishing trip if you ask for a specific time and area of the lot to look at.
  • KennethSwaugerKennethSwauger Moderator Posts: 7,004
    I remember when I lived in Silver Spring, MD. I was parked in a 7-11 lot one morning and a lady came up to me at the coffee prep counter and told me she accidentally backed into my tan colored Subaru hatchback. Sure enough there was a round dent from her rear mounted spare tire holder (I think she was driving some kind of Jeep) on my rear hatch. We exchanged information and she couldn't have been nicer, sort of restored my faith in humanity. Maybe it was because she was a Jeep owner?
    "They thought we were too loud, but shoot, I had four army blankets folded over my amp, and the volume level was on 2. I'm used to playin' on 10!" S.R.V.
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 8,792
    Its still a claim. With all attendant consequences of a claim. You may no longer be accident-free for one thing and insurance companies don't care if your claim is $1,100 or $10,000 its still a claim. Some companies are willing to drop you after two claims. Happened to a co-worker, although a homeowner policy his kid damaged his vinyl siding with a baseball, they made a claim for a thousand bucks. Next claim he was dropped, they said two claims doesn't matter how big. Personally, I wouldn't report an $1,100 claim. I'd check into if any video from the parking lot or buildings around and see if they have any security camera footage that would show a license plate as suggested above. There are cameras everywhere now.
  • msgmsg Posts: 5,554
    I remember when I lived in Silver Spring, MD. I was parked in a 7-11 lot one morning and a lady came up to me at the coffee prep counter and told me she accidentally backed into my tan colored Subaru hatchback. Sure enough there was a round dent from her rear mounted spare tire holder (I think she was driving some kind of Jeep) on my rear hatch. We exchanged information and she couldn't have been nicer, sort of restored my faith in humanity. Maybe it was because she was a Jeep owner?
    Jeep and Subaru cultures, man B)

I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 6,432
    dromunds wrote: »
    Its still a claim. With all attendant consequences of a claim. You may no longer be accident-free for one thing and insurance companies don't care if your claim is $1,100 or $10,000 its still a claim. Some companies are willing to drop you after two claims. Happened to a co-worker, although a homeowner policy his kid damaged his vinyl siding with a baseball, they made a claim for a thousand bucks. Next claim he was dropped, they said two claims doesn't matter how big. Personally, I wouldn't report an $1,100 claim. I'd check into if any video from the parking lot or buildings around and see if they have any security camera footage that would show a license plate as suggested above. There are cameras everywhere now.

Easy solution here. This is why most of us still have human beings as insurance agents and not computers. Call the dude and ask. Then you can decide if it’s worth it.

And yes, I agree this stinks. But, you never know the other person’s situation, may be someone with no insurance barely surviving and this little accident could put them and their kids on the street. On the other hand it could be a rich d-bag who doesn’t wanna deal with it...doesn’t excuse the behavior either way but it might put it in perspective...sorry this happened to you!
    Living Room 2.1: Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkii; Martin Logan Grotto sub; Cambridge Azur 851A; Cambridge Azur 851D; Bryston BPD-1
    Game Room HT: Denon AVR-X4200w; Definitive Technology SM350; Definitive Technology LCR2000; Definitive Technology Procinema 800; Mirage Nanasats; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45; ACI Titan Subwoofer; Squeezebox Touch
  • sucks2bemesucks2beme Posts: 5,060
    This is always a hassle. Had my 1st accident in 20+ years.
    Got rear ended. The Mustang was totaled. Bought another car.
    Still waiting on Allstate. They are my insurance, as well as the other party's.
    It's been a month, and nobody can tell me the state of my claim.
    Good luck with this. My guess is they drive you crazy before paying out any $
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 8,792
    If you don't have insurance you shouldn't be driving. Period. There's no "perspective" in turning a blind eye to a hit-and-run because somebody may be "barely surviving with no insurance." What if they hit a pedestrian, same perspective?
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 11,226
    You have to be careful about reporting

I renewed my premium one year and they raised my rates. I asked why and she said we note an accident. I didn’t have any accidents or tickets.

What had happened was I went to their (progressive) to get an estimate claim. I had been driving behind a Lowe’s delivery truck and a couple batches of shingles had slid off the truck and scratched up the hood and windshield of my truck. Lowe’s is self insured, they were very courteous and paid very promptly.... but my insurance company dinged me anyway for writing the estimate

....well guess what, I’m no longer using Progressive. I had spoken to supervisors etc to no avail or reasoning to disregard the so called accident

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3treitz3 Posts: 14,499
    Good grief. I have State Farm and I got a ticket for running a red light. First and only moving violation ticket in 25 or so years. This was about 6 or 7 years ago. They never raised our rates and I knew they would. I just knew it....but they didn't.

Hail damage claim 5 years ago. Never raised our rates.

Wife damaged her vehicle when.....well, I won't get into that. It was embarrassing for her. 5K worth of damage, never raised our rates.

Had 2 claims when some crazy lady ran me off the road, I slid sideways into a sign damaging the drivers side door. Then chased the b***h down and confronted her at a light where she could not get away from me. B***h proceeded to try to pin me between my truck and her car when I was asking for her insurance information. Hit my truck and the vehicle in front of her when she out of nowhere hit the gas as hard as she could. Plenty of witnesses, including 2 when she ran me off the road (they eventually caught up)

Never raised our rates. In fact, got a refund of most of the deductible for the double claim, since it wasn't my fault. Paid for by her insurance company.

They have replaced 4 windshields between the wife's vehicle and my truck. Never raised my rates or charged us for the windshields.

In fact, our rates have gone DOWN since we first joined State Farm, even though I just bought her a Tahoe last year. We are on our second agent (first one retired). Now, that may be because we have our homeowner's insurance wrapped up with the vehicles but to raise the rates over something like this (and what happened to Ron)?

Yeah, I'd be looking for another company.

Always, always, always keep in constant communication with your agent. He/she (if they are legit) will always offer the best route to go....and if you ever have any question whatsoever? Call and ask. When they know you, they tend to fight for you. When you are just a number they get a cut of money from each month? Eh, not so much. FWIW

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

~ The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction ~

~ Not all things that can be measured can be heard and not all things heard can be measured ~

~ When the law ends, tyranny begins ~
    edited February 21
    My agent asked me once why I didn't go with (insert internet Ins. Co. here) I looked him square in the eyes and said

" Because when and if I have a claim or problem I want to be able to drive to his/her place of business and look him/her square in the eyes when I smack the snot out of them"

We've been great friends for 25 yrs.

I had MFA shield of shelter Ins. when I first needed insurance. One claim and I knew right then and there I needed new insurance with a local agent that was more than just a seller of insurance. I found out then that my "replacement insurance" meant they would replace it with what they wanted. My Yamaha AX 900 intergrated amp was going to be replaced with a JVC receiver, my Sony ES CD player with a maggot box CD player... I was done they deprecated my 2yr old gear so much it was ridiculous.

I dropped them faster than a hot potato.
  • anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 2,636
    I'm with Allstate. I've heard of this as well where merely asking if the claim will count against you requires the agent to report it to the company and they may use that in underwriting decisions.

The thing it was parked in a covered lot of 5 days at the airport. That's a long period to be looking through camera footage even if it exists. I know that lot has cameras on the ground floor but I do not think they do on upper floors where I was.

So I guess I'll just eat it and consider it karma.
  • UpstatemaxUpstatemax Posts: 2,494
    If you’re going to pay out of pocket, get a few estimates and let them know this is NOT an insurance job.

I have a good relationship with my body shop and if I’m paying for something out of pocket it’s usually 40% less than an insurance quote.

Body shops know they have to “build up the claim” to make any money on insurance work.

And no, I don’t get in that many accidents...

I’ve just been going to the same shop for years with my cars. Pro tip, a bottle of whiskey or pack of good beer for them when you pick up your finished car leaves an impression. Small price to pay to make their day and insure they always take care of you when you need help.
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : XBOX One : Roku Ultra : Oppo UDP-203 : Pioneer Elite SC-87 : APC H15 : Focal 806V mains : Focal 806V Surrounds : SVS SB2000 : SVS SB12-NSD

2Ch:
    Sonus Faber Venere S : Rotel RB 1582 MKII : Oppo UDP-205 : Furman Elite 15 DM i : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with Acryl-It Platter :
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 7,322
    edited February 22
    Statefarm here, been satisfied.

Heard bad stories about Allstate and others similar.

My other friend says that Chubb might be the best but costlier. If you check Chubb reviews, they have been stellar.

I would keep quiet about it. It's not worth the hassle down the line. Save it for a catastrophic claim.

And yes, whoever said take a look to see if the guy is on video, do it. Some punks need to learn a lesson.
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Torus RM15 -> Emm Labs TSDx/Bluesound Node 2 -> Emm Labs DAC2x -> ??? -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature) -> new speakers + JL Audio F113v2 x2
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Oppo 105D -> Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> Focal Kanta 2

Main speakers system evolution over the years:
    Klipsch Promedia 4.1 -> Axiom M22ti -> Sonus Faber Concertino -> Sonus Faber Concerto -> Polk LSi7 -> Polk LSi9 -> Martin Logan Mosaic -> AV123 Onix Ref 1 -> Martin Logan Vantage -> AV123 Strata Mini -> Martin Logan Summit -> Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor -> BW 802D2 -> Sonus Faber Stradivari -> Rockport Avior -> BW 802D3 -> BW 800D3 -> ???

Old Gear:
    Speakers:
    BW PM1 (3.5/5), CM10s2 (3.75/5), BW800D3 (5/5), Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source:
    Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification:
    Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased) -> ARC 5se -> ???
    Amplification:
    HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer:
    Infinity Entra2 -> SVS 25-31PCi -> SVS 25-31PC+ -> Dual JL Audio F113v2
  • kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 4,124
    All insurance is pretty much the same....unless if you with someone like "The General". Otherwise... all marketing, gimmicks, and never ending commercials during sporting events on TV. Supposed competition with the insurance industry does nothing to reduce cost to the consumer.
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    All Supposed competition with the insurance industry does nothing to reduce cost to the consumer.

Agree.

• stevepstevep Posts: 126
    I feel for you. Somebody did this while I was having lunch and boogied without a trace.
    Thankfully the PDR guy was able to work the aluminum back into shape.

ylxecg3tgq9x.jpg
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,741
    From the posts I've seen of PFB, This would be a fun thread for him.

"so there was this semi doin' a hundred and ninety..." ;)

On a more serious note, unless it's raining I always park way out in parking lots to avoid this issue. Has worked so far. :)
    signature is in the spoiler window :)
    Not Tom or Trey or Jim just Micah
    Martin Logan LX16s, NAD 1155 preamp and 4155 tuner courtesy of DaddyJT, NAD C352 playing power amp, BJC Belden cables, Technics SL3200, Marantz CD6004 CD player and Audio Technica cartridge courtesy of Drew/Clipdat, Salamander Archetype rack
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 2,617
    mlistens03 wrote: »

On a more serious note, unless it's raining I always park way out in parking lots to avoid this issue. Has worked so far. :)

dzwhaqeyjyqs.jpg
    DaveHo wrote: »

dzwhaqeyjyqs.jpg

Looks like parking at lonestar. 🙂
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • stevepstevep Posts: 126

Sadly, I park as far away as I can but come back and find an empty lot except for the cars on either side of me that weren't there before....
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 44,506
    stevep wrote: »

Sadly, I park as far away as I can but come back and find an empty lot except for the cars on either side of me that weren't there before....

Amazing how that happens and it never fails.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

stevep wrote: »

And one car is parked so close to you, ya know they hit your car when they opened the door. Common decency is not so common anymore.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • sucks2bemesucks2beme Posts: 5,060
    Or you need to crawl over the center console from the passenger side.
    Welcome to downtown garage parking. I saw one where they parked
    so close they had to fold back the passenger mirror. WTF?
    I park almost to the top just barely under cover. The parking is angle in.
    I see a lot of people backing in to angle in parking??????
    When did everybody start backing in their SUV and f250 crew cab into parking?

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson