Forgot how good my 7Bs sound!

I haven't done any "serious" listening in quite a while. Usually music is in the background while I'm reading. I am planning to rebuild the crossovers in my 7Bs which I bought new in the early 80s (the crossover date code is Sept 1982). Today I put on a Carmen highlights CD with Grace Bumbry as Carmen. I moved a chair so I would be in the sweet spot. My system is modest, a 1990s-vintage Yamaha 45 watt receiver and a Sony CD player also from the 1990s. I don't claim to be an audiophile and my 71 year old ears aren't what they used to be but damn this sounded good! I'm still planning to rebuild the crossovers. I'm not expecting a dramatic improvement but at least it will get them back to their original specs.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    Those ol' Polks always liked Yamaha ee-lectronics, and vice versa.
    IMO, of course.
  • My Son and I rebuilt the crossovers in his 84 7Bs the SQ was immediate and impactful. For not a lot of coin imho.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• lmacmil
    lmacmil Posts: 119
    I plan to do one and compare old vs new before I do the second one.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    lmacmil wrote: »

Don't bother.....waste of time. Upgrades done with quality components are a dramatic improvement.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited February 2020
    F1nut wrote: »

Don't bother.....waste of time. Upgrades done with quality components are a dramatic improvement.

Maybe, but it's more fun that way and you really get that A/B comparison. Makes you feel better when you have that side by side comp and you absolutely hear the difference your time and money makes.
  • lmacmil
    lmacmil Posts: 119

I would submit that any audio comparison that is not blind or double-blind is subject to confirmation bias. If you expect an improvement, you will hear one. The entire high-end "audiophile" business model is based on this fact.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711

I would submit that any audio comparison that is not blind or double-blind is subject to confirmation bias. If you expect an improvement, you will hear one. The entire high-end "audiophile" business model is based on this fact.

That dog don't hunt.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    That dog don't hunt.

Agreed. I've spent money on upgrades expecting improvements and found both no improvement and disappointing results. What sounds best to you may not be ideal to someone else.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus