Replacing Home Theater System--What First?

Options
Looking to upgrade my home theater system after at least a decade of the status quo. Here’s what I’m working with:

Sony STR DE945 receiver/amp
Polk Monitor 10B front speakers with stands
Polk CS-10 center speaker
Sony SA-W2500 subwoofer
No rear surround speakers (yet) because of challenging wiring problems.

The room is 14 ft. wide by 22 ft. long by 8 ft. but the seating area is about 8 feet from the TV screen.

I bought my Sony receiver off Craigslist 10 years ago and it’s plagued with intermittent problems—one front speaker channel will drop out. A “love tap” on the side of the cabinet will restore that channel. I’ve taken it apart twice so far and found cold solder joints that I’ve reflowed. This repair works for a couple of years and then it recurs. I think it’s time to move on...looking at Yamaha V685 or similar. I see the Yamaha V683 (last year’s model) is $270 less.

I love my Polk Monitor 10B speakers. I’m the original owner. They still sound great but they look rather dated and they’re so darn big. I’m thinking floor standing towers, but undecided on what to get. I’m kind of leaning toward Polk Signature S55’s but it’s just an idea. I would like the Polk S60’s but for budgetary reasons.

Polk CS-10 center speaker is fine, IMO.

The Sony 10” subwoofer is really there just to fill in some bass notes, mostly for movies, but it also does OK for music. My college-aged son thinks I should start replacing components by first getting a good subwoofer. A 12” (minimum) with at least 350 watts. He says that will make my system sound much better and give it a totally new dimension in sound. Good subwoofers are not inexpensive so I’ve been looking on Craigslist for a used SVS or a Hsu Research, but it’s been barren. Other suggestions on subwoofers are welcomed.

I’d like to keep the total budget to $1,500 or less. I figure I can start replacing components one at a time and see how it changes the sound dynamic.

If you were going to replace components, where would you start and why? Receiver? Front speakers? Subwoofer?

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I would start with the AVR, but that would use up your entire $1500 budget.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I would leave the Monitor 10s personally. Replace the AVR first for sure, it's barely alive as it is. Check out Accessories 4Less website for a Marantz or Yamaha Aventage.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Or a Denon AVR on A4L.