Usb audio newbie question

Options
Hi, I’m streaming Tidal hifi with my iPhone 6. Anyone know if I can use the camera connector kit for the iPhone, run a usb cable to an integrated amp with usb audio input, and stream to my 2 channel home system? Looking at Parasound halo integrated, the original not the new hint 6. Thank you!

Best Answers

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It depends on the device. On my Def Tech Incline powered monitors with DAC, I can do just what you are describing, but not every USB input will, and I am not sure what the differences are...

However, if you are spending that much on an integrated, why not purchase a streaming device? I use Logitech squeezebox touches for whole home audio, they are readily available for cheap, and they are great streamers that support Tidal. If you can find a chromecast audio those also work really well utilizing the mini optical out. Your iphone isn't the best sounding streamer, the SBT would be a significant step up, and of course there are a LOT of better options out there for a lot more money...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Don't know about the SBT but most streamers will output Tidal high res files via the Tidal app. Eliminating any cable degredation
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Answer ✓
    Options
    How is the SBT a better streamer than the iPhone? If I understand correctly, using the lightning port with a usb cable will bypass any processing by the phone and send an unprocessed digital signal out, allowing the DAC in the parasound to do the processing. Is there something else I’m missing on how all this works?

I don't know the technical reasons, but digital streamers (even using an external DAC) sound different. People don't spend $1000s on a dedicated streamer just for looks or convenience. Just like CD transports can sound different, so can streamers.

When I was generously karma'ed my Bryston BDP-1, I was using a computer running roon--set to take control of the PC's sound output--into the USB input of an Arcam rdac. When I plugged the Bryston my jaw hit the floor. How could it sound so much better? Noise is a big part - the background is MUCH blacker as you more up the chain. But the soundstage was bigger, there was more air around the instruments, everything was just startling different.

I suggest you do some research. And a SBT is a great place to start, because at this point their value holds pretty steady so if you decide its not any better you can just resell it...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer

Answers

• bemckinley1974
    Options
    How is the SBT a better streamer than the iPhone? If I understand correctly, using the lightning port with a usb cable will bypass any processing by the phone and send an unprocessed digital signal out, allowing the DAC in the parasound to do the processing. Is there something else I’m missing on how all this works?