Monitor 70 opinions please

Hi,
I just registered and hope this is within the rules, and is in the right section.

My current dilemma is I have a love/hate relationship with my Monitor 70 towers. I’m currently powering them with a Yamaha A-S701 integrated amp.

I keep seeing posts that say that they need 200w x 2 to really “open up”. I’m just wondering if anyone can confirm this, because I’m not interested in getting a separate amp/pre/dac setup.

If that’s the case, then I’ll just look at some towers that are more adequately powered by my current amp.

Any and all suggestions welcome. My budget for new towers would be $700 or under preferably.

Happy to be a member here, and thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    It depends on what you feel you are not getting from the 70’s.

If you like your amp situation, spending money on a bigger amp won’t be worth the difference you’ll hear in the 70’s. I know...I’ve been there.

I would either look for a used pair of Polk LS90’s, or try to catch an Adorama sale one some LSiM 705’s.

Or (again based on your preferences) look into another brand with more efficient speakers.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Thanks! That’s exactly what I was looking for. I didn’t know if feeding them more power might bring out something that I wasn’t already getting. There’s nothing necessarily wrong with them. For me, they just seem midrange heavy, and I’ve come to prefer a brighter sound.

I came to this realization after swapping my older Rti4’s from the bedroom into my 2.1 living room setup.

I would prefer to stick with towers though, because I would need stands that weigh a ton to ensure my dogs don’t topple the speakers.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    A brighter sound....then the rtia series is more inline. Paradigm and Monitor audio speakers would also play more to your tastes.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • I’ve been eyeing the RtiA series, but I’m concerned that my amp won’t be adequate to get the most out of the RtiA5, which is the smallest tower in the series.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Brighter and more efficient? I've seen a lot of raves about the new Klipsch line.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • I’ve been researching those as well. The RP-5000f seem to match up to amp fairly well. I guess I’ll have to go to Best Buy and see if they have any available for listening.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I don't know how seriously I'd take away what you get out of listening at Best Buy but it wouldn't hurt to be able to see them in person.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Oh, for sure. I’m usually left totally underwhelmed with the knowledge of most retail staff when it comes to their own products.

I guess my biggest complaint with the M70’s is that the treble gets overwhelmed by the mid/bass. When listening to Godsmack for example, the cymbals just get lost (for me). I realize my tastes don’t seem to align with most on what’s considered “bright”.

I will also add that I am by no means an audiophile, but do appreciate very clean, powerful sound.
  • hochpt21
    I would try Klipsch, B&W or GoldenEar.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Thanks for the help and suggestions. I have scoured the web for a few certain pieces of info that I never could seem to quite find. This clears up my minute ocd details. Thanks again.
  • Any idea what a fair price for my M70’s would be? They’re only about a year old, and in great shape.

I’m not looking to squeeze a dime. I’d like to give someone a good deal, and move them out quickly. Win/Win
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    I enjoyed my monitor 70’s. I had four with a center for a 5.1 system. First speakers I ever bought new. I used a nice Marantz ave and they sounded great. They were my beginning of the Polk rabbit hole. I thought they were very efficient speakers. RTi or LSiM series are better but IMHO need a dedicated amp. Good luck. Monster LSiM 703 bookshelf speakers with stands and an amp is where I would go up from M70’s. Your pair of M70 should bring 200-300 used. They hold their value because of all the drivers included. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited February 2020
    Yeah I have to wonder if you are looking for a brighter sound - which usually means there is an SPL peak somewhere in the treble region - or simply a speaker with a better balanced sound overall and more extended treble with more air around the instruments, better detail, decay, etc. in the treble region. If that’s the case, I would definitely recommend the 703s if they go on sale again at the adorama prices. Their bass is impressive for size, and you can add a sub down the road if needed. Remember You will need really good stands, but you can still stay under your budget...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Both good points. Don’t get me wrong, I’m fully into the audio rabbit hole now because of the M70’s.

They were my first set of quality towers. The Yamaha integrated was also my first foray into a quality piece of equipment.

At first I loved them, then I started noticing that the mids were overwhelming some of my favorite aspects of the music. It took me awhile to stop appreciating the sheer volume they’re capable of, and start noticing things at lower volumes that I wasn’t getting.

The LSiM line is tempting for sure. I’m just trying my best not to do what I usually do and go fully overboard.

Then again, that’s the fun part about hobbies.

I sure do appreciate all the great responses and helpful advice. Sometimes forums can be a tad vicious when you’re the new guy.
  • hochpt21
    M70’s were my first real speaker as well. I still have them in the boys room, because I can’t let them go.

To be honest, I did get some M50’s for a short time which cleaned up a lot of what I think you are missing, but at this point for you I think it would make more sense to push forward and upgrade.

I’ll say again the value of LS90’s if you can find any near you. Easy to drive, audiophile sound. Cheap on the used market.
  • hochpt21
    Or for sure the LSiM series if you can get them into your budget. You won’t look back.
  • I feel that y’all are pushing me further into the rabbit hole. Let the researching begin on the LSiM and LS90.

Rooftop59, I believe you nailed what I’m looking for is more balance. That’s where the M70’s seem to irritate me. For HT use they’re probably good with such a powerful midrange, but it seems to overwhelm the cymbals, etc in music.

My main focus is music. I have zero interest in having a 5.1 setup. I enjoy watching movies, but not enough to have speakers everywhere.
  • LloydBraun
    LloydBraun Posts: 36
    edited February 2020
    Does anyone have opinions on the Klipsch RP-280f’s that are currently on sale? They’d be pushing my budget, but usually they’d be out of my price range if they weren’t $200 off/ea.

The power handling and sensitivity seem to fit well with my A-S701. I am aware that Klipsch uses a different standard for sensitivity, but even if you subtract the 6db they still are efficient.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    You might look at a pair of Def Tech BP8b. Aluminum tweet and a presentation that is more forward for sure. Nice tone tho imo and works well for both HT and music.
  • I have the A-S501 and own the 703s and Signature 60s. Both pair well with the Yamaha.

The 60s have a bit more sparkle on the top end but aren’t bright but are detailed and dynamic with a very satisfying bottom end, very nice dual purpose 2-ch/movies. They are a little over your budget but at list but I have seen them on sale.

The 703s are very musical and just a fun speaker, still a clean top end and solid bass. In a smaller to medium size room I actually prefer them over 60s, note I do not use a sub. They can be found on sale for a song if you are patient but you will need stands.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • Thanks for the replies! So, I think I’ve finally decided to go with a 2.1 setup with bookshelf speakers. The LSiM sure do look awesome. Right now I’ll just make do with some Rti-A3’s that I have from an earlier “experiment”. Long story.

I really am fighting the urge to go whole hog crazy with separate amps, which seem to be required to get the full potential out of almost all towers.

As far as the M70’s, I’m going to sell them. I haven’t looked at the classified section of the forum yet.

Thanks again for all the helpful replies. I’ve looked at everyone’s recommendations.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    @LloydBraun Welcome to the forum. I'd echo @Dabutcher. I had my M70's amped with an Emotiva 200wpc amp. I wasn't that impressed until I had them driven with my Emotiva 300wpc amp when I went to sell them. I had taken my subs out for the demos, both movie clips and 2ch demos.

I have to say I was so impressed with the sound coming from the M70's I became hesitant to even sell them. They produced bass I never heard before and the 2ch presentation actually had me awe struck. After owning the M70'S for a couple of years, I'd never heard them perform like that. The buyer that listened noted my hesitation and bought them at full asking price. I had them priced to haggle some. The buyer was more than happy to take them off my hands.

I was driving my RTiA9's at the time with the big amp. The M70's were not too far behind in the 2ch department but couldn't touch my A9's in the bass!!

Best O luck to you.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Argh. Maybe I’ll search around and try to find a used amp.

Y’all are doing a great job of encouraging the little voice in my head that makes me spend money.
  • hochpt21
    All upgrades matter...however...

...speaker upgrades always trump amp upgrades.

Get the beat speaker you can and then fine tune from there.
  • Very true. To be honest I think one of my favorite parts of getting into this hobby is researching and designing “what if” setups in my head.
  • This is my fear. I’ve always loved audio. Had too many car audio setups to count growing up.

It wasn’t until I got the A-S701 and the M70’s that the addiction started. Hilariously, I thought that would be the end all solution.
  • Ok, so, I can’t leave anything alone for long. I was determined to try every possible option to make the M70’s sound better, because I seemed to be in the minority about not caring for them.

Now, some disclaimers.
    - I did not try to replace the factory brass jumpers with quality wire beforehand.
    - This whole time I’ve always used the bottom binding posts to connect my banana plugs.
    - I realize all the stigma associated with bi-wiring and the debate on the matter.

Now, saying all that, I started researching things further, and decided to replace the stock jumper plates, which are very thin and surprisingly very dainty compared to the factory jumpers on my Rti4’s.

Saying all that to say this, I just went ahead and bi-wired them to my A-S701, because I had the wire and connectors already.

To my surprise, it seems to have cleaned up the muddy midrange, and improved the cIarity in the mid to high range. I know, I know, placebo effect, yada yada yada. However, I have had these speakers for quite awhile and know dang well how they sound.

Anyways, sorry for the rambling, but I can honestly say, FOR ME, that the changes I made have provided a noticeable difference in the clarity of the upper register of these speakers.

Also, I noticed for the first time when listening at higher volumes that they were almost too bright for my tastes, which I have never thought about these before. Even with the treble maxed out on the amp.

So, thanks for reading my ramblings, and I now finally enjoy my M70’s.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    So you are not going to spend thousands and thousands of dollars?