Scary virus outbreak in China

Comments

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited February 2020
    Link works, you need all of it including (20)30251-8/fulltext
    I read it, gleaned a little I could understand. Thanks Mark.

Probably not ready for this!
    f6aa0mt7yffu.jpg
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Tin foil hat on but is it possible that the Chinese did this on purpose to curb the Hong Kong protesting?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    edited February 2020
    😳 Are you Russian, perchance?

Coronavirus: Russian media hint at US conspiracy
    Post edited by Kex on
    Alea jacta est!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Tin foil hat on but is it possible that the Chinese did this on purpose to curb the Hong Kong protesting?

That’s just stupid. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if it is man made, and accidentally got loose. But it could be perfectly natural. The problem is the world is over populated, and diseases that should be inconsequential turn into a nightmare.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    The big one is coming. That's just nature doing what it does best.
    The last one was the Spanish flu. It killed 10% of the population.
    Given how mobile we are, a new variety could be much worse.
    Or something we haven't seen yet. We have too many people crowded together.
    In animal populations this happens a lot. Disease pops up and wipes a bunch out.
    Modern medical methods have stopped a lot of nasties, but sooner or later
    Nature is going to create a tough one. Man doesn't need to make one.
    There's plenty of them incubating out there. Like this one, it just needs to jump
    species.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »

That’s just stupid. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if it is man made, and accidentally got loose. But it could be perfectly natural. The problem is the world is over populated, and diseases that should be inconsequential turn into a nightmare.

I don't think the world is overpopulated, just certain areas are. China obviously, major cities, but would you say Africa is overpopulated? South America ? How about Canada.....Russia ? China does what China wants, damn the consequences.

Anytime you have a big amount of people in a small space, crammed together almost like farm animals, diseases are bound to happen and spread quickly. Throw in a communist regime that has no problem killing people to advance their agendas and modern air travel, you have a recipe for disaster that one day we won't be able to combat so quickly.

Not so far fetched. Plus there are just way too many people in positions of power that think the planet needs to shed a few billion people.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    Stay on topic Tony. Leave your politics out.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox wrote: »

So you don't believe that this viral outbreak may have a political aspect to it ?
    Hmmm.

Reread Tony's posts

BTW :
    I wouldn’t be surprised if it is man made, and accidentally got loose. But it could be perfectly natural.[/quo

Wouldnt be surprised it was manmade ? I'd be flabergasted to learn tht it wasnt.
    Sal Palooza
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30251-8/fulltext

EDIT: Fixed (I hope) the link. Actual, academic stuff (already...or finally, depending upon one's perspective)

That review now holds the world record for fastest published scientific paper.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • tonyb
    Hasn't every Zombie movie started out this way ? Just sayin'....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    What I can't find is what age are the dead? Mostly old? or mix of everything?
  • tonyb
    Willow wrote: »

It appears they vary some. I believe the nut here is that most have already had a compromised immune system.....so I read anyway. True or not, who knows.

Makes ya wonder about getting on a cruise ship, or airplane, bastions of global germs. Plus the sanitation process for those 2 things isn't exactly first rate.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    So the majority of healthy folks should be just fine. Albeit it won't be a great ride if one should catch the virus but the majority will make out with no issues.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    edited February 2020

So you don't believe that this viral outbreak may have a political aspect to it ?
    Hmmm.

Reread Tony's posts

BTW :
    I wouldn’t be surprised if it is man made, and accidentally got loose. But it could be perfectly natural.[/quo

Wouldnt be surprised it was manmade ? I'd be flabergasted to learn tht it wasnt.

I think he was referring to the last sentence.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    just saw on tv tonight that there have been 14,000 deaths this season in the U.S. from the flu with a lot of kids dying yet where is the press on this?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • BlueFox
    This thread is about a new, unknown disease. Feel free to start a flu thread. Also, this season’s flu is bad, but so far the death total is 2,900 deaths.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/477142-the-us-is-on-track-to-have-one-of-the-worst-flu

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    tonyb wrote: »

It appears they vary some. I believe the nut here is that most have already had a compromised immune system.....so I read anyway. True or not, who knows.

Makes ya wonder about getting on a cruise ship, or airplane, bastions of global germs. Plus the sanitation process for those 2 things isn't exactly first rate.

Never been on a cruise and never will. Have flown once in the last 24 years.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I flew across country recently and it was like being in a museum for diseases. Everybody hacking and sneezing. Nobody covering their mouth. Of course, shortly upon return I got sick for about three days. That’s happened too many times over the years. I’m done flying in the winter if I can help it
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    This thread is about a new, unknown disease. Feel free to start a flu thread. Also, this season’s flu is bad, but so far the death total is 2,900 deaths.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/477142-the-us-is-on-track-to-have-one-of-the-worst-flu

CDC says 14000, and may go as high as 36k...
    https://abcnews.go.com/Health/1300-people-died-flu-year/story?id=67754182
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    Seems like every time a walk into a Walmart during the winter months, a get a cold within a day or 2. Anywhere you have mass amounts of people, germs are gonna spread. Grocery stores, movie theatres, concerts, restaurants, just to name a few.

No different than it was 50 years ago. We just keep creating more things to do us harm in labs, then mistakes happen. We don't do much about the growing homeless encampments, which we all know is top notch for sanitary conditions. We are traveling more, bringing exposure to new germs at a higher probability. Globalism has it's positives and negatives. In my view, we can expect more of these things down the road, not less. Would make sense to me anyway to try and keep your immune system in tip top working order.

These cruise ships stranded......would you book a cruise on those exact ships in the future ? Not me. How about the planes, we may never know the exact planes anyway but I wouldn't fly on one. As a company, what do you do with these ships/planes after this thing wears down ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox

CDC says 14000, and may go as high as 36k...
    https://abcnews.go.com/Health/1300-people-died-flu-year/story?id=67754182

Looking at that link, and reading all the data, it appears they are combining pneumonia and influenza (flu) deaths. The bigger number is from pneumonia and the smaller number is from the flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyarchives2019-2020/data/NCHSData06.csv

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    Be nice if they broke it down into age groups also.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862

Not trying to start a thread about the flu, just making a comment.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Willow
    tonyb wrote: »
    Seems like every time a walk into a Walmart during the winter months, a get a cold within a day or 2. Anywhere you have mass amounts of people, germs are gonna spread. Grocery stores, movie theatres, concerts, restaurants, just to name a few.

No different than it was 50 years ago. We just keep creating more things to do us harm in labs, then mistakes happen. We don't do much about the growing homeless encampments, which we all know is top notch for sanitary conditions. We are traveling more, bringing exposure to new germs at a higher probability. Globalism has it's positives and negatives. In my view, we can expect more of these things down the road, not less. Would make sense to me anyway to try and keep your immune system in tip top working order.

These cruise ships stranded......would you book a cruise on those exact ships in the future ? Not me. How about the planes, we may never know the exact planes anyway but I wouldn't fly on one. As a company, what do you do with these ships/planes after this thing wears down ?

Doesn't it take 5-7 days for the virus to take hold of your body? 2-3 days after going somewhere is not long enough.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I'm a firm believer in building up your immune system by licking hard surfaces in public places. Let the bacteria and viruses battle it out for superiority. The best way for your body to build up super antibodies is having it look like a medieval Catholic vs Protestant battle field on the inside! Works for me anyways...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Willow
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I'm a firm believer in building up your immune system by licking hard surfaces in public places..

Wait, isn't that what George Michael got arrested for.....
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,923
    I'm a firm believer in building up your immune system by licking hard surfaces in public places..

I believe you're thinking of Paul "PeeWee Herman" Reubens.

:#
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

I believe you're thinking of Paul "PeeWee Herman" Reubens.

Pee Wee got busted for playing his own flute in public.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,923
    I was just joshin'... pullin' your... umm... legs, you know?
This discussion has been closed.