LSi15 Woofer mod, if a DB840 is good, would an MM840 be better?

Options
2»

Comments

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,339
    Options
    I agree that I love the mids and uppers. The bass, even with the DB840 is tricky. These speaker are very placement dependent. The bass sounds much better if you can get them away from the back and side walls. With proper placement, they really do sound quit nice.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • mrhyde
    Options
    The placement of mine is not the best. I will have to try bringing them out from the walls some more and see if it helps.

Still yet, I'm curious what a lighter cone mid bass driver would sound like in these LSIs. I think of the older full range speakers with the larger paper coned woofers in them and how nice the mid bass always sounded. The LSI bass is just so non existent compared to other speakers. I'm thinking of the old JBLs, Cerwin Vegas, not necessarily HI Fi speakers. I haven't really heard a lot of speakers that would be considered great in the audiophile world. Even though the LSIs have that nice refined sound to them the lack of bass just makes them so unsatisfying to me. They seem to be great for jazz or classical but for just plain rocking out they really don't do it for me at all.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    skrol wrote: »
    I agree that I love the mids and uppers. The bass, even with the DB840 is tricky. These speaker are very placement dependent. The bass sounds much better if you can get them away from the back and side walls. With proper placement, they really do sound quit nice.

Yeah in the end, we tried EVERYTHING.

For what it is worth, The lsi15 is great from about 150 Hz and up, but the bass is its only weak point.
    With a sub, You can fix the weakish deep bass issue, but it takes either a DB840 Sub change OR a change in the "SUB" crossover to remove the too strong 100-150hz bump in the sound.

We finally chopped of the entire bottom of ours, fitted the crossover into a separate box, and used just the top section with the 2 small midwoofers and tweeter with a sub.

Essentially about the same as the Lsi9, but in a somewhat smaller box.

That worked great for a while, but finally just parted them out, as we had ANOTHER pair of Lsi15 and Lsi9 anyways....