F/X Wireless Surround question

pearsall001
pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
edited February 2011 in Speakers
I just received my demo from Polk & although the hook up seems pretty straight forward, I do have a question. The manual is laid out well but doesn't touch on one aspect that relates to my system. I have a Rotel RMB-1095 (5) channel amp that handles my mains, center & surrounds. My NAD T765 AVR is a 7 channel & the manual says to hook up the F/X transmitter to it for the Surround backs. Now can I also run speaker wires from the Rotel to the transmitter also for my surrounds (which are LSiFX). I'm thinking that this would be double dipping on the info being sent to the LSiFX & in essence I'd be running two separate surrounds. I'm thinking that I can only use the F/X to run as my surround back unless I take the LSiFX out & use the F/X for both surrounds & surround backs which it is set up for. Any thoughts? Thanks!
"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
Post edited by pearsall001 on

Comments

• Topper
    Topper Posts: 403
    edited January 2011
    since your demoing the wireless surround, might as well disconnect you current surrounds and let the f/x wireless handle everything (both the surrounds and the back surrounds) so you can see what its really capable of.
  • pearsall001
    edited January 2011
    Up & running. This thing is incredible! Flawless signal transmission from 16' away from transmitter. I'm still playing with different scenerios but for now I'm absolutely impressed. More to follow.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Huck344
    Huck344 Posts: 453
    edited January 2011
    Pearsall -

I'm doing the F/X wireless demo as well. Are you having any connectivity issues? I can't seem to keep the receiver connected to the transmitter. It keeps loosing sync. I even moved it from my living room set up to the bedroom to see if the pronto remote in the living room was affecting the transmitter. Let me know if you have had any issues or if it is just me.
  • pearsall001
    edited January 2011
    Huck344 wrote: »
    Pearsall -

I'm doing the F/X wireless demo as well. Are you having any connectivity issues? I can't seem to keep the receiver connected to the transmitter. It keeps loosing sync. I even moved it from my living room set up to the bedroom to see if the pronto remote in the living room was affecting the transmitter. Let me know if you have had any issues or if it is just me.

No issues here...strong signal from the moment I hooked it up. It sounds awesome!
  • Huck344
    edited January 2011
    No issues here...strong signal from the moment I hooked it up. It sounds awesome!

Thanks. Not sure what the issue is with my speaker.
  • Topper
    Topper Posts: 403
    edited January 2011
    HUCK - it can't keep a connection for the entire length of a movie? Could your wifi router be causing interference? or look into your microwave as well
  • Huck344
    edited January 2011
    Thanks Topper. That was the reason I moved it to the bedroom set up. There is no wifi or any other signals that could possibly cause interference in there. It's very strange. When I first started up, it synced up like magic. After about 20 minutes, I start hearing some phaser type of noise coming from the F/X and then it eventually shuts down. Getting it to reconnect is a pain. I have to shut both the transmitter and the speaker off. Turn off the AV receiver and then start everything back up. Even at that, it's about a 20% success rate on getting it to re-pair.
  • Despotsocal
    Despotsocal Posts: 6
    edited February 2011
    Any change with your wireless?
  • If this is still relevant, I had the same issue with my F/X Wireless Surround until I changed the connection method.

Method 1: RCA pre-out jacks from my receiver connected to the transmitter.

Method 2: Speaker wire outputs connected to the speaker level inputs on the transmitter.

After changing to the speaker wire method - using speaker wires connected from the Surround Left, Surround Right, Rear Left, and Rear Right speaker outputs to the transmitter speaker wire spring terminals, there was really good signal strength between the transmitter and the wireless speaker. I did have to turn down the surrounds and rears in my receiver settings because they played louder with this connection method. I had to turn them all the way down to -12dB.

Currently, my transmitter is not working. I have contacted Polk Audio for repair and they will not repair the transmitter. In early 2018 I was quoted $35 for a new transmitter. I called back about six months later and they said it was discontinued. I tried again in January 2020 and they said they could sell me one for $180!!! I complained and said I was quoted $35 and they emailed me a price of $90. That’s still too much. I’m trying to repair it myself. If I don’t succeed, I will contact a repair shop - I know of one in the Kansas City area.

I love the speaker and love the idea of this design. I believe it is still a relevant product and I would recommend it highly if you can find one and I would connect it via the speaker level method.