Benchmark LA4 preamp and AHB2 power amplifier review

Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,557
edited February 2020 in Electronics
My review of the Benchmark LA4 line-level preamp and AHB2 power amp has been published: https://theaudiobeatnik.com/unrestricted-dynamics-reviewing-the-benchmark-la4-preamp-and-ahb2-power-amp/

To say I was thoroughly impressed by this pairing would be an understatement. The Benchmark gear gave me a unique aural experience that I hadn't yet experienced with any other equipment in my listening room. It was a tangible feeling of being emotionally connected to the music I was hearing.

It is a somewhat difficult sensation to describe in writing, but easily understood after listening. I haven't stopped thinking about this pre and amp since I had to ship it back to Benchmark last Monday!

Please enjoy the article, and I welcome any and all feedback.

cwwpdb40dwk0.jpg

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Nice work, Drew B) Definitely worth considering, although for my purposes, I think one of their DAC2/3 HGC models is probably where I would land for a preamp.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Nice review! I agree with your sentiments. I listened to their room at AXPONA in 2015 and found the sound really clean and musical. After the show, I read up on the amp and realized it could be an end game SS amp for some. Talk about getting out of the way of the signal and not altering things!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Clipdat
    WLDock wrote: »
    Talk about getting out of the way of the signal and not altering things!

This is the epitome of what these two pieces are all about. I hope that my article encourages more people to experience the sensation of listening to music through the LA4 and AHB2 combination, it is simply incredible.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    edited February 2020
    I’m intrigued by this amp .....
    My question is , is 100 watts enough power .....

Apparently from what I’ve read , which is quite a bit , it doesn’t really have ANY headroom at all ..... 100 watts is the MAX it’ll put out .....
    So , a typical 100 watt AB amp will output substantially more power for short term peaks and transients ....

Same with my PS Audio s300 .... class d - not much headroom .... 140 watts is all you get .....

I dunno ... is it really enough power ?
    I know , I know ...... most of the time you are only using a few watts steady state ....
    But those peaks can really use up some power ....

If only they made one 200 watts ......👍👍👍
    I know it can be bridged .... but now we’re talking $6k ...
    No such thing as too much power...
    Bk
    Post edited by gyosa on
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Once again Drew, I like your Style of Review. It's obvious that you are an Audiophile with a very good ear, but equally important, you put so much emphasis on the Music.

It seems the Benchmark Brand has earned its High Marks by being all about the Music as well. I can certainly see why your are drawn to their product line.

Thanks for another great review!
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I wanted to wait to add to the high praise, but agree completely that this (and every previous) review is concise and appealing. Thank You Drew and if I didn’t already have a great combo, would be very interested to try.
  • Clipdat
    gyosa wrote: »
    100 watts is the MAX it’ll put out .....

Here's some more information about it's power output capabilities from another review:

"The AHB2 is a 100 wpc stereo power amplifier, but boy is that ever deceiving. Benchmark says that the AHB2 can deliver up to 18A to each channel simultaneously. It will nearly double down its power to 190 wpc into 4 Ohms and 240 wpc into 3 Ohms with both channels driven simultaneously."

https://www.pooraudiophile.com/2015/07/benchmark-ahb2-power-amplifier-review-the-first-commercial-power-amp-with-thx-aaa-technology.html
  • Clipdat
    30 day no questions asked trial period when you order for Benchmarkmedia.com.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    No question it’s probably one of the best amps you can buy .....
    I’ve never read a review that sez otherwise .....

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Excellent review Drew! Sounds like the end is in sight for those who choose to accept it ;)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Awesome Review! Sounds like Benchmark literally is the "Benchmark"
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • lordcloud
    lordcloud Posts: 29
    I have a pair of AHB2'S, but not the LA4. I'm currently using a Tortuga preamp, which I love..... but it tends to have issues with the ldr modules.

I'm considering the LA4.
  • Clipdat
    If your goal is the ultimate in transparency and the LA4 meets your input/output requirements, I can't think of a better choice. The LA4 was literally made to drive the AHB2, it's a perfect combination.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2020
    You know threads like this light a fire inside me.
    Makes me want to go down that path and start digging in. I must resist.
    Awesome review. Thanks for posting. Beautiful looking gear, they have always made very nice stuff.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    edited April 2020
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Great review. If I wasn't amp flush I would sure give one of these a shot.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Nice! glad your happy again!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Not even crazy 'spensive.
  • lordcloud
    lordcloud Posts: 29
    I own a pair of the AHB2 monoblocks, and I love them. I'm currently using a passive Tortuga Audio preamp, but will be getting the LA4.
  • Clipdat
    Do it! The sooner the better, it's a fantastic preamp.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    So much clean power from such a small footprint...very appealing!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Clipdat
    It also produces little to no heat!
  • Clipdat
    edited October 2020
    I need this combo back in my life. :pensive:

Seriously missing it.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    You need the amp. Then again, you may need two.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Benchmark Media is a no non-sense professional grade equipment manufacturer. Every time I have tried something else, I have come right back to BM.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Clipdat
    SIHAB wrote: »
    You need the amp. Then again, you may need two.

Nope, just the one amp will do, but I really do need the LA4 preamp as well since I don't have any other preamp!
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    Does benchmark use the THX feed forward type of feedback in this amp, and if so what are the advantages of it?