Monitor Audio

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,031
Hey guys,
Out of curiosity what do you guys think of the Monitor Audio line? We carry them and I think they are fantastic. They are very similar to B&W's in the sense that they have a killer mid range, beautiful top end with crystal clear highs and a tight clean pure bottom end that doesn't seem to ever bloat or boom.
I think the Silver line is beautiful affordable and a gem. The cabinets are also extremely well built for the money. I think they are one of those speaker lines out there that excel at price to performance ratio.

We have a few pairs on our showroom floor and I keep wanting to grab a pair bring them home and do a weekend in home demo and VS with my forever owned Mythos ST's.

Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Nice speakers.
    The silver 500 in white is on my list for my new basement room.
    I spent about 2 hours with them when I was in SoCal last month. I almost took them home. The room is about 18 months out so why not keep looking at the options.

Take a pair home and give us an update.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited August 2018
    Wasn't impressed by their Bronze 2 bookshelf speakers, despite all the reviews online where people love them.

Maybe their Silver line is where things start getting good.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited August 2018
    Funny I was just looking at a pair of Monitor Audio Studio Compact Monitors in the AA catalog. And then looked at the Silver Series 50's too,

I would like to hear them and some comparables. I also hear good things about the SVS Prime Bookies.

Also interested in the KEF LS 50's.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Montoya
    Montoya Posts: 506
    I sell them in my store they are great speakers not too fussy about setup.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited August 2018
    If you can get in home demo, why they heck not try them. Thats part of the fun! The few monitor audio speakers i heard. I did like.

Mikey, if your going to try the ls50, check the wireless version out. I preferred the ls50w over the regular ls50
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mantis
    I'm absolutely re visiting this idea. Since my ST's broke I've been eager to figure out what the next chapter in my audio life is going to be.
    Dan
  • I've had a pair of Silver RS8 towers in my main system since about 2011 that I bought new. They aren't going anywhere. I haven't heard any of the newer models though.
    Main System:
    Proton AA-1150 ~ Yamaha C-4 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Sennheiser HD600 ~ Monitor Audio Silver RS8 & FB210 ~ Martin Logan Dynamo ~ Teac R-919X ~ Marantz CD5003 ~ Squeezebox Classic ~ Music Hall dac25.2 ~ Dual 1229/Acutex M312 III STR ~ Music Hall mmf-5.1/Goldring 1012GX ~ Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0

Home Theater:
    Vizio V585-H11 ~ Yamaha RX-V800 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Marantz DV6001 ~ EPI M90 ~ Polk Audio RT35i ~ CS400i ~ (2) Polk Audio PSW450

• mantis
    I'm way into the Silver Line they impress me each and every time I listen.
    Dan
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I've had a pair of Silver RS8 towers in my main system since about 2011 that I bought new. They aren't going anywhere. I haven't heard any of the newer models though.

Do you find the tweeter on the silver line a touch hot ? Some RS6's by me for 5 bones, I may have to check out.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    tonyb wrote: »
    I've had a pair of Silver RS8 towers in my main system since about 2011 that I bought new. They aren't going anywhere. I haven't heard any of the newer models though.

Do you find the tweeter on the silver line a touch hot ? Some RS6's by me for 5 bones, I may have to check out.

From another forum.
    Next, I like the slight warm / dark signature of the Harman that tames the slight brightness of my speakers (Monitor Audio RX6).
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Thanks Jess, ears I trust keep telling me they can be a tad bright.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mantis
    I do not, I find them to be warm inviting and very natural sounding.
    Dan
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I had Radius 90s, I think? Nice little speakers for the money and size. I have yet to own another Monitor Audio speakers, but those little bookies left a good impression.

Dan, have you thought about Martin Logan/Magnepan electrostats? I've never heard Magnepans, but even in Best Buy the MLs completely floored me. They're the reason I have LX16s today. :)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Most maggies need a lot of room to breathe, I've heard the bigger models and they need to be way out away from boundaries. But they do sound pretty darned good.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I never fell in love with the Monitor Audio lines until I spent some time with some Platinums. That ribbon tweeter fixes a lot of what I feel is lacking in the lower lines.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mantis
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I had Radius 90s, I think? Nice little speakers for the money and size. I have yet to own another Monitor Audio speakers, but those little bookies left a good impression.

Dan, have you thought about Martin Logan/Magnepan electrostats? I've never heard Magnepans, but even in Best Buy the MLs completely floored me. They're the reason I have LX16s today. :)
    Nah not my style. I like them don't get me wrong but they are not the kind of sound I can listen to for long periods of time.

Dan
  • mantis
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I never fell in love with the Monitor Audio lines until I spent some time with some Platinums. That ribbon tweeter fixes a lot of what I feel is lacking in the lower lines.

They start with a ribbon the gold line
    Dan
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    mantis wrote: »

I realize this but the gold line is still meh, IMHO.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited February 2020
    Paging through the latest Audio Advisor, The Monitor Audio Silver 500 with the new C-CAM tweeter looks interesting. Priced at $ 1375.00 ea I wouldn't mind hearing a pair the price is very reasonable I've read good things about them.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • tonyb wrote: »

Not at all. I can listen to them all day long.
    Main System:
    Proton AA-1150 ~ Yamaha C-4 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Sennheiser HD600 ~ Monitor Audio Silver RS8 & FB210 ~ Martin Logan Dynamo ~ Teac R-919X ~ Marantz CD5003 ~ Squeezebox Classic ~ Music Hall dac25.2 ~ Dual 1229/Acutex M312 III STR ~ Music Hall mmf-5.1/Goldring 1012GX ~ Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0

Home Theater:
    Vizio V585-H11 ~ Yamaha RX-V800 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Marantz DV6001 ~ EPI M90 ~ Polk Audio RT35i ~ CS400i ~ (2) Polk Audio PSW450

• mantis
    mantis wrote: »

I realize this but the gold line is still meh, IMHO.
    Interesting I have found the Silver and up to be fantastic. I have really little to no experience with the Bronze line as we haven't sold any for me to check out.
    For the money I'm finding the Monitor line to be a fantastic line and I'm gonna start bringing home model to demo.

Dan
  • mantis
    tonyb wrote: »

Not at all. I can listen to them all day long.

That's kinda how I feel when I sit down and listen to them. The Silver line is really nice well balanced and for the money amazing. The Gold line is something I have to dig into more and figure out that tweeter.
    Dan
  • Montoya
    Montoya Posts: 506
    The new Gold line is way better than the previous gen. We are still a dealer and the speaker lineup is fantastic.
  • mantis
    The Gold's Tweeter is interesting.
    Dan
  • mantis
    dqtsyikgp77p.jpeg
    pkgnqql9izp8.jpeg
    s83gl5xb4a1l.jpeg
    I plan on spending some time at home with both of these. Floor standing or Bookshelf moving forward. My heart tells me to stay with floor standing speakers but there is something magical about a killer pair of bookshelf speakers.
    Dan
  • mantis
    5uhi6vdd35dj.jpeg
    In the Shop we have been putting some hours on these Silver 300's. They now have over 6 days of continuous playback with a Bluesound amp and 24/196 content.

So Friday I decided to measure the distance between the speakers and set a chair in the optimal position to evaluate them. I level the speakers from side to side and them gave them a nice tilt back to fire the Tweeters slightly upwards to give them a spacious response in room. The Positioning of the speakers are more for show then perfect stereo playback but with some tweaks and proper seating position you can create a very inviting presentation.

The Silver 300's are a remarkable speaker. The fit and finish is second to none at this price point. The Cabinets are solid tight and flawless. The Leveling feet are excellent and you can tweak to your hearts desired.

These speakers breath air into the room. They have an ability to play music that you would want a full bottle of wine next to you so you don't have to get up to refill your glass. The Sound is un cluttered and detailed. The bass extension is warm inviting and level. Never bloating or booming. Now granted I port plugged both ports on the back to tighten them up to the max. If I decide that the Silver 300's are for me I will run them always with a sub in small crossed over somewhere between 40-80hz.

Monitor Audio for me never dissapoints me. I always walk away pleased. I think I gotta get the Silver 500's and a few Gold's to make a decision but if I stopped here I think I could be happy for a very long time.o2xjr1n63axd.jpeg

Dan
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    They are sexy as hell. Love the outriggers. Would like to hear a pair someday.
  • mantis
    I powered them with a Blue Sound Digital amp Streaming Tital.
    https://www.bluesound.com/products/powernode/
    Speaker wire I'm using Audioquest Rocket 88's. I gotta tell you Blue Sound products are very impressive. I have Sonos right now for the whole house, I tried out HEOS which was very nice but there is something about these Blue Sound products that might get me away from Sonos and upgrade the entire house. Like all other streaming products except Sonos, they are limited in the streaming services they can use. But sound quality built quality is top notch.
    Dan
  • deronb1
    Im loving my node 2. Thinking about a powernode to pair with the Infinity Overture 1s. Would be a killer mini system.
  • deronb1
    Either the Powernode or the Yamaha WXA-50