Music Fidelity M6si or Parasound HINT6

rburgess714
rburgess714 Posts: 616
edited January 2020 in Electronics
Considering removing the Parasound P5/A23 stack from my ht/2-channel system and replacing with a gutsy integrated. What are your thoughts between the Parasound HINT6 or Music Fidelity M6si? Both have all the inputs I need including ht bypass. The Music Fidelity is 220 wpc and the Parasound is 160 wpc both are ample in that area. This would be somewhat of an end game move for me.
Living Room
Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Musical Fidelity all day, every day and 12 times on Sunday.

That isn't to say the Parasound is bad...the Musical Fidelity is that much better.

If you want endgame, go with the M6Si,
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    ^ Agreed ^
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ^ Agreed ^

You'll say "Why did it take me so long to do this"
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Yes to the Musical Fidelity integrated. End game integrated for sure.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    I would agree on the MF suggestions, however....the newer versions have a different flavor than the older ones made in the UK. Matter of preferences is all.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Appreciate the responses. I need to go listen to one or both to compare. I wonder about the synergy between my Cambridge 851N streamer and Music Fidelity?
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office

• tonyb wrote: »
    I would agree on the MF suggestions, however....the newer versions have a different flavor than the older ones made in the UK. Matter of preferences is all.

I’m guessing the MF sound signature would be neutral to slightly warm, less analytical than Parasound?
    Living Room

Office

• Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 862
    Musical Fidelity’s house sound is... well... very musical ;)
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,306
    Agreed. If it wasn't? It would not be in my system.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,424
    I used to use a Parasound P5, and tried it with both the A23 and HCA-3500 amplifiers. I couldn't quite find a point of satisfaction with those combinations, preferring the "hybrid" of B&K front ends on those amps for 2ch. I mention B&K only because it's characterized as warmer and more laid back, and so it seemed to provide a nice balance with the Parasound amps. I do seem to prefer the earlier HCA series amps over the newer ones.

I thought the A23 with the P5 sounded a bit thin lower down, or at least more accentuated up top with LSiM703s. Other than that, I'd have a hard time describing the combo in meaningful terms. It was in my earlier days, and has been a very long time since I've used the P5, and I should give it a current listen for a true comparison, so take this with a grain.

I do like Parasound stuff, and still use a Halo C2 and HCA-2205 for a combo system. It's very pleasing for music in 2.1.

For strictly 2ch though, I like the Musical Fidelity best.

The Musical Fidelity stuff to me sounded fuller and more authoritative straight away. When I was looking for a MF piece, the description characteristic that stuck out to me was that earlier models were described as "weighty" with newer models more refined. I have not heard the M6si, though I think @WagnerRC could weigh in here. He is also a Musical Fidelity fan.

My experience has been with the A5 and A308. I think overall, I prefer the A5. They both perform nicely with the LSiM series speakers. The A5 does really well with 705s in the proper room. Very, very pleasing combination. Nicely balanced, full sounding, and smooth. Great detail without being edgy, and well controlled at volume. I find 705s to struggle in larger spaces, and sound thin, though, so if you're still considering them, make sure the space is right. For that particular experience, for reference, that room is 12 x 13 with a door, iirc. The 705s do very well in there, with rich, full bass on the A5.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,424
    edited January 2020
    Duh, should state the obvious here - I, personally, have not heard the new Parasound integrated. I wonder whether you might find anyone who can compare it to the P5? And what was the other integrated they had? Was that just a P5 and A23 in the same chassis?

Maybe Drew can relate the two, having reviewed the HINT 6.
    I disabled signatures.
  • I’m guessing the the HINT6 would sound a lot like what I have just with a little more power and better DAC which I don’t need. I don’t dislike my Parasound gear at all just thinking I want something different and perhaps more grunt.
    Living Room

Office

• msg wrote: »
    I used to use a Parasound P5, and tried it with both the A23 and HCA-3500 amplifiers. I couldn't quite find a point of satisfaction with those combinations, preferring the "hybrid" of B&K front ends on those amps for 2ch. I mention B&K only because it's characterized as warmer and more laid back, and so it seemed to provide a nice balance with the Parasound amps. I do seem to prefer the earlier HCA series amps over the newer ones.

I thought the A23 with the P5 sounded a bit thin lower down, or at least more accentuated up top with LSiM703s. Other than that, I'd have a hard time describing the combo in meaningful terms. It was in my earlier days, and has been a very long time since I've used the P5, and I should give it a current listen for a true comparison, so take this with a grain.

I do like Parasound stuff, and still use a Halo C2 and HCA-2205 for a combo system. It's very pleasing for music in 2.1.

For strictly 2ch though, I like the Musical Fidelity best.

The Musical Fidelity stuff to me sounded fuller and more authoritative straight away. When I was looking for a MF piece, the description characteristic that stuck out to me was that earlier models were described as "weighty" with newer models more refined. I have not heard the M6si, though I think @WagnerRC could weigh in here. He is also a Musical Fidelity fan.

My experience has been with the A5 and A308. I think overall, I prefer the A5. They both perform nicely with the LSiM series speakers. The A5 does really well with 705s in the proper room. Very, very pleasing combination. Nicely balanced, full sounding, and smooth. Great detail without being edgy, and well controlled at volume. I find 705s to struggle in larger spaces, and sound thin, though, so if you're still considering them, make sure the space is right. For that particular experience, for reference, that room is 12 x 13 with a door, iirc. The 705s do very well in there, with rich, full bass on the A5.

My room is pretty big 17x13 that opens up to the dining room and kitchen on the right and a slider on the left that’s often open. So it takes a bit power to fill the area. The 707s could work. I am more focused on a new integrated at this time. I would love to find a nice used MF I think it would have the grunt I am looking for but open for suggestions.
    Living Room

Office

• Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 862
    Look for an A5, A308, or if budget allows a Tri-vista integrated...just my opinion
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited January 2020
    @rburgess714, or anyone else who is interested, here is Drew's review of the HINT6:

https://theaudiobeatnik.com/parasound-halo-hint-6-integrated-amplifier-review/
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo wrote: »
    @rburgess714, or anyone else who is interested, here is Drew's review of the HINT6:

https://theaudiobeatnik.com/parasound-halo-hint-6-integrated-amplifier-review/

Thank you I have read that article several times. Drew does a great job.
    Living Room

Office

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited January 2020
    BTW, what is your budget?
    There is a nice KW550 on AGon...but not sure what you were looking to spend.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9j544-musical-fidelity-kw550-integrated-amplifier-tube

Disregard...just noticed it was pick up only.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • treitz3
    One thing I have come to learn about Musical Fidelity is that their wattage ratings mean jack. Hear me out.

I have had a PLETHORA of amplifiers come and go in my rig throughout the years. From around 35 watts to IIRC, up to 500 watts for the Tyler's. Here is a little background of why I am telling you this....

When I had two Anthem 1 tube amps in the rig bi-amped, I forget how many watts I had pumping through the Tyler's but it was pretty hefty with the both of them. Of course, they were naturally high current amps, being that they were tubed.

I ended up having some bias and tube issues with the both of them at one point and needed a "temporary amplifier" to get me by while they were being repaired. So I looked online and saw a Musical Fidelity A3cr. I figured that it would "tide me over". Well, it not only worked as a temporary amp, it has not left the rig ever since and completely put a stop to the whirlwind of amplifiers coming and going through the rig.

It isn't rated for balls to the wall watts/amps either. In fact, at 4 ohms it only produces 210 watts.....of incredible balls to the wall authoritative power along with it being the most linear amplifier I have heard to date (still). I would like to move up the line within the MF lineup and get the 750 but I could easily live with this amp for the rest of my life. I have nothing left wanting with it. It simply does a fantastic job with no overponderance, exaggeration or deficiency of any frequency whatsoever. It will literally punch you in the chest and go through your core with complete and absolute authority faster than you can snap your fingers.

So, with that said, keep this in mind when it comes to your decision. These are just my thoughts based solely on experience within my own rig. I have had amplifiers at double the wattage that can't hold a candle to the measly 210 max that the A3cr puts out. Whatever they do? They do it right. FWIW.

Get your ears on one if you can.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,313
    tonyb wrote: »

+1 on what Tony said.

The 308 & A3cr sound a bit different in my opinion vs the M6. The M6 is solid but, the others mention to me are more easy on the ears. I have not heard the Hint6 but have read some very good reviews on it. I do not think going to a Hint6 from your Parasound P5/A23 would be an upgrade. I feel it would just be a different toy and lateral.

When you say grunt, are you meaning volume, more bass? Define grunt.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Is there a big difference between the A3CR and A3.2CR ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    Dunno. You know the one I'm looking for... :)

Have not heard that one.

Tom
  • F1nut
    When I had two Anthem 1 tube amps in the rig bi-amped, I forget how many watts I had pumping through the Tyler's but it was pretty hefty with the both of them. Of course, they were naturally high current amps, being that they were tubed.

Tom, I've got to correct you here. Tubes are inherently high voltage, low current while SS are low voltage, high current.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    Oh, Chit! I guess I had that backwards. Thanks for clarifying. Apparently I have been wrong for quite some time. DOH!

Tom
  • rburgess714,
    Keep your eye on US Audio Mart. I have seen quite a few come and go on the site.

There are two integrated amps currently: A3.2 and A300. The A3.2 that is currently listed seems priced to sell. The A300 has "sale pending" but that designation has been on the title for a couple of weeks. Both should have questions asked about background.

Early last year I purchased an A3.2 and A5 from a seller in New York. I paid a couple hundred more for the A3.2 than the one referenced above. Also, the New York seller had an A5.5 listed a few weeks ago, but removed it just before going on vacation. He sold the A3.2 to me only because he had NIB A3.2 (old stock) that is his main amp now.

There is a very nice A300 integrated amp on Audiogon too.

Be aware that Musical Fidelity does not make a great remote. The volume up and down buttons seem to go first.

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • I appreciate the feedback and I am getting the sense I cannot go wrong with the MFs.

Not familiar with some of the models mentioned here but will do some research, whatever I chose needs to have HT bypass. I am not in a rush so I can search the used markets. I think the A5 would be a great find if I am patient.

I think one thing is clear is that there is no gain over my current rig by going to the Hint.

As far as Grunt, I meaning more volume not necessarily slamming bass.

Also a friend today told me about Kinki which looks interesting.
    Living Room

Office

• rburgess714,
    Keep your eye on US Audio Mart. I have seen quite a few come and go on the site.

There are two integrated amps currently: A3.2 and A300. The A3.2 that is currently listed seems priced to sell. The A300 has "sale pending" but that designation has been on the title for a couple of weeks. Both should have questions asked about background.

Early last year I purchased an A3.2 and A5 from a seller in New York. I paid a couple hundred more for the A3.2 than the one referenced above. Also, the New York seller had an A5.5 listed a few weeks ago, but removed it just before going on vacation. He sold the A3.2 to me only because he had NIB A3.2 (old stock) that is his main amp now.

There is a very nice A300 integrated amp on Audiogon too.

Be aware that Musical Fidelity does not make a great remote. The volume up and down buttons seem to go first.

Does aftermarket remotes work with Music Fidelity ?
    Living Room

Office

• F1nut
    Harmony remotes do.

President of Club Polk

• Good to know. Seems like a lot of options and thinking 2k could get me a lot of integrated on the used market makes me work if the M6si is worth another K. Also reading about the Kinki and seems like a reasonable option.
    Living Room

Office

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,313
    I do not feel you will get more volume out of a different amp.
    What kind of speakers do you have? I am on a cell looking so if its in a signature i cannot see it.

I am not trying to talk you out of anything but, i do not think you will gain more volume with a different amp.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade wrote: »
    I do not feel you will get more volume out of a different amp.
    What kind of speakers do you have? I am on a cell looking so if its in a signature i cannot see it.

I am not trying to talk you out of anything but, i do not think you will gain more volume with a different amp.

I have Signature 60s that are my primaries but also have some 703s I put in rotation as well.
    Living Room

Office