SDA2s for sale locally. $400, worth it at that price?

Options
In my area is a pair of SDA2s for sale. My only foray into polk speakers has been my monitor 10s. Are these a good buy at this price? Will post photos of the listing to see condition. Also sorry if this is the wrong place to post. l9lx34q1keyf.jpg
ob666xla72br.jpg
k2etzmwnsa4n.jpg
qp3zklk1dx87.jpg
2ch setup: Polk monitor 10s peerless tweeters, RTA 11T, Technics SA-828, Technics SL-1800MKll

Comments

• krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    Options
    Not the most coveted SDAs and overpriced.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Priced too high. Also, earlier version of SDA tech that gets a bit phasey with the second tweeter. I had 2 tweeter CRS's and disconnected one of them. Ultimately, the CRS's became a donor pair for a later 4.1tl build.

I purchased 1C's, about 8 years ago, for $430 and, recently, a pair of 3.1tl's for $450. Both, much better! Haven't compared the M10's but believe patience for a better deal will pay off if you want SDA's.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • bullet150
    bullet150 Posts: 39
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Thanks @krazypolk @JayCee for the responses, I know nothing about SDAs. Not really in the market for some more speakers till I can get rid of a few extra pairs I have. Just happened to see them and didn't know if I should jump on them or not. Gonna wait then. Just didn't want to miss out on a good pair of polks like I had almost done with my m10s which I'm glad I ended up getting.
    2ch setup: Polk monitor 10s peerless tweeters, RTA 11T, Technics SA-828, Technics SL-1800MKll
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    Options
    Where are you local to @bullet150 ?
  • bullet150
    Options
    Iowa city iowa area, the guy is selling them in vinton. There is also a guy in my area selling model 10s with stands as well. I think the 10s are model 2s
  • bullet150
    Options
    kjshboveo6m3.jpg
    plilcu94531x.jpg
    mepqd7fcjwhx.jpg
    715arkap5dvm.jpg
    jfgg06jczw0y.jpg
    ok70yetusyog.jpg
    @krazypolk I attached the photos of the monitor 10s that are near my area. This is the 2nd pair of 10s I've seen listed in my area in the last 3-6 months. I think the other pair I saw sold.
  • ambiophonics
    Options
    I've seen a lot of gear posted in Vinton, generally priced on the higher end of the scale. I'm also in the IC area and owned an identical pair about 7 years ago before I found some SDA-2BTLs. Maybe those are my old pair!

2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • bullet150
    Options
    @ambiophonics I've noticed that same trend, alot of the vintage gear I see from there is the same seller. That would be kinda cool if it was your old pair. Usually most of the vintage gear I see is in either vinton or cedar rapids. My 1 owner technics sl1800mk2 came from cedar Rapids but my sa 828 came from a guy in des Moines who had a group of friends who traded and sold vintage gear to each other and on the marketplace and craigslist. I usually dont see too much pop up in the iowa city coralville north liberty area. Think the last thing I saw that was anything decent was a guy in north liberty had a pioneer silverface rack system from mid-late 70s or very early 80s that had a tuner, amp, equalizer,cassette deck, turntable and reel to reel but that was 3-4 years ago now. Remember he was asking $2,000 as he was the original owner and it had all been recently serviced.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    Monitor 10b I believe those are. The SDA 2 are WAY too high. Max I would pay is 100.00 only if i couldn't find any other pair. If I had to buy a pair that old I'd look for SDA 1a and disconnect the dimensional tweeter. They SDA1a do respond to new caps very well I've done it.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,096
    Options
    Those are 10B's, not Series 2. Series 2 10's have the SL-2500 tweeter. The one shown has a SL-2000 tweeter. The others are correct, the early SDA 1&2's with two tweeters do not compare favorably with the later SDA generations. They can be modified by upgrading crossover's, disconnecting the dimensional tweeter... but it is costly and would not be recovered at their asking price. You'd be much better off waiting for newer iterations if set on SDA's. You're in a college town and between Des Moines and the Quad Cities. A fair amount of vintage Polks do show up in our area. I'm in Omaha.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Agreed with the rest. These SDA 2's are not worth pocket lint and the gum off my shoe IMHO. These are way overpriced.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • bullet150
    Options
    Thanks @pitdogg2 @aprazer402 @nooshinjohn for the reply. Learning alot about vintage polks from everyone. Advice is much appreciated.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    Start checking the Quad city area Craig's list I've found 2Bs, several pairs of CRS+s, 2.3's and recently there was a pair of 3.1s check at least once a weekive seen quite a few SDA's for sale on craigslist and Facebook for sales the past couple of years.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Options
    FYI It would be a bit of a drive, but here might be fully modded SDA 2BTL's for $400. https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/ele/d/faribault-polk-audio-sda-2btl/7065495777.html no affiliation. It would be best to find out what exactly all the upgrades are. Hopefully there are pictures. If it was only the tweeters, $400 is steep. If it was a full crossover rebuild, the price is fair to great depending on the components.