Sda-1c interconnect cable concern

So I scored a mint set of these fantastic arrays. Me and my better half could not be happier with the sound. The shop I bought them from supplied me with an after market interconnect cable. It is seriously heavy duty I believe it's made of coax with pin connectors that fit like a glove. My concern is the blade post is left open. Is this going to cause long term issues? I don't want to hurt these amazing speakers or my shiny new amp for that matter. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    If i recall the pin is the only one with the signal. Others may chime in. Welcome to Polk
    Randy/Maine
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    With the standard SDA cable only the pin carries the signal, the blade is for support. When using the AI-1 the pin and blade carry a signal. That said, since you have nothing filling the slot were the blade should go, you should check on the back side of the binding post plate to make sure back end of the blade socket is sealed otherwise it will leak air.
    It is seriously heavy duty I believe it's made of coax with pin connectors that fit like a glove.

Coax is an extremely poor choice for this application. High quality speaker cable should be used.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• chadgio
    chadgio Posts: 7
    edited February 2016

Just out of curiosity why is coax so bad? It's a well shielded high power capable cable.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Not sure which tweeters you have (SL2000 im thinking) but if you ever decide to upgrade. Best upgrade for the $ you can do to 1c's. Polk has RD0-194's that sound alot better. Easy drop in replacement 20 min job. 'Call' Polk & tell them your a forum member & get a discountcnc4fswbpde9.jpeg
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450 wrote: »
    Not sure which tweeters you have (SL2000 im thinking) but if you ever decide to upgrade. Best upgrade for the $ you can do to 1c's. Polk has RD0-194's that sound alot better. Easy drop in replacement 20 min job. 'Call' Polk & tell them your a forum member & get a discount

Thanks I'll look into those!

nbrowser wrote: »
    chadgio wrote: »

Just out of curiosity why is coax so bad? It's a well shielded high power capable cable.

Higher impedance than a nice lower impedance speaker cable. Not good for actual sound transmission as it "impedes" the signal flow.

Do you think this could cause damage to the speakers or just provide a less than ideal signal?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    do not think it could cause damage but you for sure could have a better cable as that is an important part of the speakers. Ideally it should be the same cable as you use going to your speakers from your amp or receiver.
  • Do you all have any suggestions on the best reasonably priced cable values? I'm using 100% copper 16ga right now. But it's Best Buy stuff and I'm sure I could be doing much better
  • jimmylee123
    jimmylee123 Posts: 105
    Hey man, here is what I did for my cable, cost less than 40 bucks and works like a charm. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S12NN10 x1 and https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SpeakOnM x2 Hit me up if you need any instructions, as some very minor assembly, modification is required.
  • jimmylee123
    jimmylee123 Posts: 105
    Didn't realize how late I was on this :)
  • bikerd
    bikerd Posts: 3
    f6dtvpodr2l0.jpg
    awrjeykijyn3.jpg

Here is a picture of the back of the speaker and interconnect plate on my Polk sda 1c speaker.
    NOTE: 2 WIRES on the interconnect plug.
    I read lots confusion on how many wires are actually connected so i had to open mine up. I personally will be using both wires for my new interconnect. I will Probably just add another pair of 5 way binding post to make it easier to use any speaker cables i chose between the two any time i want.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited January 2020
    STOP!

The blade connection is only used with the AI-1/Dreadnought. If you use both wires for your new SDA cable very bad things will happen.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited January 2020
    Do not use binding post the speakon neutrik connection is much better. Using 2 binding post for that, if someone inadvertently hooks them up as speaker cable inputs ... I do not want to see the aftermath.

Stop re-evaluate