RTi A9 Speaker Binding Post Division

Options
Hello,

On the RTi A9s...
1) There are two sets of binding post on the back of the speakers.
I assume, the upper set goes to the Mids and Tweeter, and, the Lower set goes to the 3
Woofers..
Is this correct?

2) If I "Hooked up" the lower set (That I assume that is going to the woofers) will that "Hurt" the amplifier, because nothing is "Taking the higher frequencies"? I know this sounds silly, but, I had to ask... o:)

I am going to try "bi amping" the RTi A9s.
I wanted to find out "where I am at" , using what I got first...
I will be buying another Amplifier soon for Bi Amping.
Thanks for viewing...

Alton :)

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    Are you using a receiver to power them?
  • Alton T
    Alton T Posts: 73
    Options
    Hello pitdogg2.
    Nice to meet you..
    I am running this:

Desk Top Computer (YOU TUBE for music) USB > SCHIIT MODI MULTIBIT > NOBSOUND TUBE PREAMP > McIntosh MC7100 AMP > RTi A9s..

No "Receiver"..
    McIntosh MC7100 is a 100 w/ch . amp

Sorry for my "Ignorance"..
    :) One of my Famous sayings:

"Ignorance is not a bad word, but, it does cause a lot of Problems"

- Alton Takata 2020
  • 62caddy
    62caddy Posts: 137
    Options
    Have to say I'm unconvinced of the virtues of biamping after trying it myself several times with Polk A9, A7 and other speaker manufacturer.

Adding, say, another MC7100 will not provide an additional 100 watts of effective power either - would need a 200 wpc amplifier (or two 200 watt mono amplifiers) using single wiring method to obtain +3dB headroom above what your single MC7100 will provide.

Unless the PG lamps are regularly flickering during typical listening sessions, the need for for extra power is questionable. Test report below claims MC7100 capable of 200 wpc into 4 ohm for short term peaks.

http://www.hifi-review.com/153462-mcintosh-mc7100.html

Main:
    McIntosh: MC 2155, MC 2125(x2), MR 80, C 32, MQ 101; Snell J7; Polk: RTiA7, RTiA9;
    Pioneer PL-518; A/T 440 MLa; Yamaha CD
    Vintage:
    McIntosh: MX110Z, MC 2505, MC 240, Thorens TD 145; Shure V15III; Altec 14, Boston T1000; Yamaha CDX 393 CD; Yamaha Cass
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2020
    Options
    If you want to "Bi-wire" that is one thing or make better jumpers instead of the brass straps. I do not see any benefit to Bi-amping since you are still going to use the internal crossover.

Your source of you-tube for music is not doing you any favors either.
  • Alton T
    Options
    Hello guys..
    Hi 62caddy,
    I was going to "Bi Amp" for another reason (s)...
    1) I want to know what the A9's are, and, what they can do/be capable of.
    a) One aspect was the crossovers.
    I was going to test ( by hook up ) if the top mid and tweeter act like one set of speakers, with the top set binding post.
    and, the lower mid range and woofers a second set with the lower binding Post set.

When I listen to YOU TUBE video Music... some recordings have "weak" or soft Bass, or, too much Bass.
    I wanted to "see" what the A9s "do", when having separate "Systems".
    If it is possible to adjust the volumes between the "Upper" and "Lower" sounds from the A9s.
    I going try do the test hook ups and find out now. Thanks guys..
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    The A9's thrive on high current I'm not sure if that mac is up to the task.
    Maybe try a real source like CD, vinyl or something other than that bad audio on you tube.
  • Alton T
    Options
    Hello Guys...
    Thank You all for posting/viewing.. :)
    First, may I say, everyone has different experiences that brings them to their conclusions. Good to know what people have to share.Thank you for that..
    2nd, I am not here to prove anyone wrong.
    I ask because there might be something that I did not know and will damage $ Equipment.

I just did the trial run...
    The top Binding Post set is for the Two Mid ranges and the Tweeter.
    The woofers are not active..
    The lower Post set is for the Woofers...

Both above and below tweeter Mid ranges sound the same..

The Computer keyboard volume at max.. going to a NOBSOUND PREAMP to the McIntosh MC7100.....
    The Woofers , when playing alone (Lower Post signal only)..
    The Volume on the NOBSOUND is only at 1/2 and the walls are rattling.
    I can't go loude than that. And, the Neighbors..
    The Upper Post Only.. The Mid Range ad Tweeter is super loud at that 1/2 Volume level..
    I was using this Beegie Adair Tro Video to test with.
    The bass goes super deeeeeep...

Thank You for viewing..
    Alton :)

YOU TUBE Link used for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2q5G_HZyxQ&list=RDR2q5G_HZyxQ&start_radio=1