Back in Stock - Mo-Fi - 2LP Set 45RPM - Love Over Gold - Dire Straits

Options
https://www.mofi.com/product-p/mfsl2-469.htm

Just got an email that they are back in stock. This is just a PSA for those who are interested. Great album!

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    Options
    I have the SACD - a must have, IMHO.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,311
    Options
    I ordered mine. Just wanted to make folks aware before it's gone again. To me, itt's worth it for the one song alone, 14 plus minutes of "Telegraph Road". I have many, mant renditions of this even live but this has got to be my favorite of them all.

Mark knows how to pick the respective instrumental players as well as the recording techniques. Combined, it makes for one hell of a playback....and we all know his musical talent is top notch.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Tom, what is your current vinyl setup...if you don't mind me asking :)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    Get the S/T and BIA 45's too.....great sound!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    The BIA 45 steals the show! love this Vinyl!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • treitz3
    Options
    Jody, you had to ask about my weakest part of the rig, didn't you? This part of the rig is very humble at the moment.

Music Hall MMF-5 w/ Goldring 1012Gx cart, Joe's "The Clamp", isolation footing, the 25th Anniversary Edition Nitty Gritty DS Record Cleaning Machine in Jatoba finish and optional smoked acrylic cover. The "Shark" steam cleaner for additional cleaning effectiveness and superior LP playback performance. Jolida JD9 MarkII tubed phono pre w/ Tung Sol Gold-Pin 12AX7 Tubes, Analysis Plus Power Oval 10 PC and Transparent Reference IC's to Pre -

It may not be that good but it sure does sound nice! This is the one area I need to really start working on, admitted. I keep blowin' my money on the music though...which ain't necessarily a bad thing, I guess...

Tom
  • daddyjt
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I ordered mine. Just wanted to make folks aware before it's gone again. To me, itt's worth it for the one song alone, 14 plus minutes of "Telegraph Road". I have many, mant renditions of this even live but this has got to be my favorite of them all.

Mark knows how to pick the respective instrumental players as well as the recording techniques. Combined, it makes for one hell of a playback....and we all know his musical talent is top notch.

Tom

Private Investigations is worth the price of admission for me... The detail and sense of space in this track are what reference material is all about.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    So I just played my copy of this, an original Warner Bros 23728-1. It is great music, but not close to being a reference disc. Sounds like I need to step up to the plate. Looking for confirmation regarding the quality of the original.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    Bump. Need to get above the fray.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    So I just played my copy of this, an original Warner Bros 23728-1. It is great music, but not close to being a reference disc. Sounds like I need to step up to the plate. Looking for confirmation regarding the quality of the original.

I can't imagine it sounds better than the MoFi 45, which is incredible.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,971
    Options
    Bump
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • treitz3
    Options
    Just came in.....If only I had a rig to play it on LOL.

Maxward, I don't believe I have that pressing so I can't offer you any feedback. The only copy I currently have other than the LP I just got is a redbook CD (Which sounds great BTW). The stereo room is in disarray and the rig is torn down at the moment but I'll follow up once the rig is back up and running and the area in front of the LP's is cleared and I can check to see if I have that album.

I kind of have multiple projects going on in that room at once.

Tom

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    I ordered a copy the other day after seeing this post. Got it sitting on my desk now. Hope to see how it sounds tonight.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • tratliff
    Options
    I couldn't resist after seeing Lover Over Gold. I just order the Brother in Arms and the first album. Not like I need another BIA but I'm a Mofi addict.

I really wish Mofi would do On Every Street.

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • tratliff
    edited January 2020
    Options
    The Love Over Gold is a respectable production by mobile fidelity. Dynamics are great. Only issues I found was the levels between track to track but that is quickly cured with the volume. Great purchase. Grab one if you you like Dire Straits.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Just for S&Giggles, I went ahead and ordered the SHM- SACD version as well as the Mo-Fi SACD too.

4y9ss505wq4o.png

7r4foe5n4xw1.png

It will be interesting who wins the shootout for best recording/mastering.

Tom
  • daddyjt
    Options
    Just for S&Giggles, I went ahead and ordered the SHM- SACD version as well as the Mo-Fi SACD too.

4y9ss505wq4o.png

7r4foe5n4xw1.png

Tom

I look forward to your thoughts...

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• tratliff
    Options

Tom

Tom, I will be very interested in what you find. Both are very respectable.

I spent some good time with the Mofi vinyl over the weekend. It is great but like I said before the levels have a bit of change from track to track. Nothing to worry about as it sounds great.

I received this one today. My ex-dealer should take note, many want to sell to me.

6fx9iotznge4.jpg

• treitz3
    Options
    Oooo, what album is that one? Have not seen that before! Me want!!!!

Tom
  • tratliff
    Options

Tom

Its one of the reissues. Its Dire Straits first album.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Thanks, I will order it today!

Well, I did get in the SHM-SACD today and sat down to listen to it in its entirety. Forgive the random thoughts, I just jotted down some while listening. First off, I played it louder than the redbook version. Not for any other reason but that it allowed me too with no overponderance of any frequencies or annoying reverb, cymbal crashes, etc.

This is the first time I got goosebumps using the temporary Cary pre and i actually had whole body goosebumps twice while listening. That was a surprise to me and a testament to the recording/mastering itself because the Cary is nowhere near where the Dodd was at. After listening, I can't freakin' wait to get that Canary back in play!

The piano was more prominent, defined and natural sounding and it was flying all over the place. It was more enveloping and spacious with a completely different perceived depth field with many instruments and well, with Mark too. The guitar in song 2 was outF'nstanding. It was like I was listening to "Friday Night in San Fransisco" but with Mark playing. On that same song, I heard an echo while Mark was talking. I had never noticed this before and I've heard this song probably a thousand times on many a system. Not once have I ever heard that before.

The instruments went WELL beyond the placement of the speakers. I would estimate that they went about 8 feet to the outside of each speaker.

One thing I didn't like. Well, two things. Mark's voice was a little farther back on some areas of the recording (first two tracks) than I would prefer and the first 3 tracks had a noticeably higher noise floor/recording hiss. The last two songs did not have any of this though. They just went from black to music.

On one of the songs (sorry, I forgot to write down which one) at about 5 minutes or so into it, there is a heavy passage that has a hard cymbal crash. The redbook was somewhat annoying, this recording was not and the cymbal crash sounded like it was crashing in my actual room, not from a recording being broadcast through a set of speakers.

I have fallen in LOVE with Industrial Disease with this remastering. Once again, it was outF'nstanding! Man, there were sounds just coming from everywhere with many new sounds that I had not heard or noticed before.

There was a noticeable difference in volume between the tracks but I never adjusted the volume to compensate. I just listened. The lower spectrum of frequencies were much more precise, authoritative but refined. In other words, more punch and definition but with less "boom", if you will. I would say that this is definitely an attribute of the recording and not a deficiency.

Once I got to "Love Over Gold", the recording hiss and noise floor essentially disappeared and it sounded like Mark was in the room, performing before me. It was almost like an entirely different presentation of the song itself. Liked it so much, hit "repeat" when the song was over and listened to it twice in a row, so I could soak in all of the new sounds and instruments that I hadn't really noticed before. It was so much more natural, musical and "live" sounding. The xylophone was much more pronounced and a wonderful addition when on the redbook, it isn't so pronounced and with this recording/remastering, you could point a laser to each individual note as it was being played on the sound stage. Every single one of them. Pinpoint imaging.

As for the last song, well....it isn't exactly my favorite and usually, I get up out of the sweet spot at that point and just listen as I am tinkering or looking for the next album to put in the rig. Well, I stayed seated for this one this time. While it still isn't my favorite or anywhere close, I was surprised after about 5 or so minutes into the song. I have not had one ounce of "adult drinks" today and the sound started "warping" in a way to where I actually felt drunk, or on drugs, or something to that effect. I may have noticed that before but it was a rather cool effect to experience. It did this off and on until the end of the song.

Sorry for the long winded post. These are my observations of this one though (SHM SACD). Looking forward to hearing what the Mo-Fi sounds like. I will not know until next week (I believe that it is scheduled to be delivered on Friday?) what that sounds like but I am definitely looking forward to it.

I sure do miss the good ol' goosebumps!

Tom

• daddyjt
    Options
    Great write-up, thanks for taking the time and being so thorough. It’s killing me knowing this is just sitting at home waiting for me after this job is over... one of the many things I am looking forward to with the return home:-)

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options

Tom

Best one, IMHO
  • treitz3
    Options

tratliff wrote: »
    Tom, I will be very interested in what you find. Both are very respectable.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you one this one. It just NOW came in. Anyhoo, I will try to listen to them both. You have my reviews on one of them but since then, as you may have read, the Canary has come in. I think it would be more fair to compare apples to apples when comparing both albums.

6fx9iotznge4.jpg

BTW, I ordered this and it came in a while back. Gotta love that guy. Yet another great album from him. I probably own more Mark Knopfler albums than any other artist out there. Thanks for posting the pic of this one, as I had not ran across it before. Much appreciated.

Tom

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Like I said before, the 1st Dire Straits album is my favorite. There’s also a couple other albums Mark’s done that are great but not that widely known. Check out The Notting Hillbillies. Mark’s first solo album Golden Heart is also great. Heck, everything he’s done is really good.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Yeah, that self-titled album (aka, Sultans of Swing) probably gets the most play at my house. But, I also really like side 2 of BIA.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • treitz3
    edited February 2020
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Like I said before, the 1st Dire Straits album is my favorite. There’s also a couple other albums Mark’s done that are great but not that widely known. Check out The Notting Hillbillies. Mark’s first solo album Golden Heart is also great. Heck, everything he’s done is really good.

Got it and got them. Along with some bootleg recordings from around the globe that are...shall I say "illegally recorded...One of my favorite performances was him in Bergen with the top performers in their respective fields. For a bootleg recording, it actually doesn't sound that bad. The performance? This is my favorite from him.

My favorite recording? Now that would be hard to choose. He has many extremely well recorded albums.

Tom
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Jody, you had to ask about my weakest part of the rig, didn't you? This part of the rig is very humble at the moment.

Music Hall MMF-5 w/ Goldring 1012Gx cart, Joe's "The Clamp", isolation footing, the 25th Anniversary Edition Nitty Gritty DS Record Cleaning Machine in Jatoba finish and optional smoked acrylic cover. The "Shark" steam cleaner for additional cleaning effectiveness and superior LP playback performance. Jolida JD9 MarkII tubed phono pre w/ Tung Sol Gold-Pin 12AX7 Tubes, Analysis Plus Power Oval 10 PC and Transparent Reference IC's to Pre -

It may not be that good but it sure does sound nice! This is the one area I need to really start working on, admitted. I keep blowin' my money on the music though...which ain't necessarily a bad thing, I guess...

Tom
    Hey Tom, I forgot to reply to this and thank you for sharing. No shame in that game, my friend! Sounds like a well put together system B)
  • tratliff
    Options
    l2nviga99tt2.jpeg

Tom. I haven’t seen any discussion of this one. Another piece of greatness.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Shoot, I have not heard that one either, IIRC. With that said, I ordered a remastered CD of it already. Thanks. (Can you tell I really dig Mark's talent's?) Interesting article about this below that touches on it.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/dire-straits-on-every-street/

I may have this on LP, as the album cover looks familiar but I have yet to organize my 900 or so LP's. That's something I really need to do and soon. That is just a daunting task....that's a crap ton of albums to alphabetize and organize from scratch. DOH!

Tom