What to do with my 1984 Monitor 7B

Options
lmacmil
lmacmil Posts: 119
Pretty sure I bought my Monitor 7Bs in 1984 (could have been '82, hard to remember that far back.) I've never done anything to them nor have they ever been abused. As far as my 71 year old ears can tell, they still sound fine. The music I play is about 40% each rock and classical and 20% jazz. I'm just wondering what may have deteriorated over the last 36 years besides my hearing! Probably been 5-10 years since I last pulled the grills off and I didn't see anything amiss then. Is there anything I can or should do to "refresh" them? Or should I just leave well enough alone since I can't hear any obvious audible deterioration?

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    The caps in the crossover and (given their approximate build date) tweeter are the 2 main items holding them back at this point. The caps have long since past their prime, and there are better tweeter options now.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,184
    Options
    Check to make sure the magnets haven't shifted on the midbass drivers. Another thing that can happen is that the spiders can crack and it's hard to see the crack but will show up as a distortion, especially with difficult bass materials.

You want to manually exercise the cones by pushing gently on the dust caps, in the center, and at all 4 quadrants, and carefully see if you can detect any sort of scraping sounds of the voice coil against the pole piece.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options

You want to manually exercise the cones by pushing gently on the dust caps, in the center

place you fingers around the dustcap approx north, south, east and west. Not directly in the middle of the dust cap.

Sorry George I knew what you meant but we cannot expect others to NOT take it literately :#;)

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,184
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Yeah my bad. I didn't mean *in the center* because it is very fragile there, I meant to say with your fingers exerting even pressure around the edges of the dustcap. Thanks!
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform