Compatibility of Sub to system...advise please!!

Hello
I am looking at a Polk PSW10 sub for my small room , music only no video requirement...I have a pair of Fluance bookshelf speakers (SX6W High Definition Two-way) powered by an Onkyo TX-8020, Room is irregular but appeox., 26x21 feet. May I have some input and advise if Receiver is adequate for the Sub?
Thanks in advance.
L

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Your reciever has a sub pre-out. Any powered sub will work, as the subs amp would provide power for the sub. No additional stran on the reciever.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    The sub is powered, so the receiver really has very little to do with it. I see that particular receiver has a RCA pre-out for the subwoofer. You could connect it via the RCA out or the speaker level outs. Either would be fine.

That said, in a space that large, I think you'll find the PSW10 lacking. It really doesn't dig that low & is pretty under powered given the volume you would be asking it to fill. What's your budget?
  • LaBow
    LaBow Posts: 4
    Thanks for the input. As my existing stereo system is not high end I was hoping to keep it under $200 CDN ...i also didnt want to get a Sub that out-did (if that is a term) the Fluance Book-shelf speakers! I am not a big base guy ...Jazz/Classical primarily Thanks again...
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    You can always adjust the volume on a powered sub to your liking. Problem with lower end subs is the sound quality.

Your speakers lower limit is 60 Hz, and the PSW 10 is 40 Hz. Although the sub will help a little on the low end, a lot of info will still be missing. Maybe a little outside your price range, but I would look at the Bic f-12.

Think you can find them around $200. A little more expensive, would be Polk PSW 505. Both of these subs are much better than the PSW 10.

A powered sub will work with any reciever, AVR, or preamp with a sub output. So spending a few extra dollars now may be an upgrade you can avoid later.
  • LaBow
    rpf65
    Many thanks for your suggestions and input. Just looked up BIC and it looks very nice price is over $300 Cdn. The Polk 505 appears to be difficult to find on-line at any of the usual outlets. These are great ideas and your point is well taken on the sound quality while I am no audiophile, I need to spend wisely. Thanks again!!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I would highly recommend looking for a used mirage or energy sub if your up north (both Canadian brands). For instance, the energy s10.3 or mirage lf-150 are both solid subs that dig into the upper 20s he. If you can find a mirage BPS-150, BPS-150i, or Omni-200, those subs are VERY good for music.

Don’t worry about the sub over performing the speakers. Find the best sub you can for the money.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • LaBow
    rooftop59
    Many thanks for the advise I will look into it.
    L