BACCH 3D Sound

Nightfall
Nightfall Posts: 10,042
edited April 2015 in 2 Channel Audio
So I'm guessing this is similar to SDA but in a passive box that you can add to any stereo. Does anyone know anything about this? Will this be a real product that we can buy sometime in the future?

http://www.princeton.edu/3D3A/PureStereo/Pure_Stereo.html
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    They indicate the speakers should ideally be 50 cm or 20 inches apart. Hmmm.....
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    So I'm guessing this is similar to SDA but in a passive box

They talk about a computer and filters, so it would be an active system. SDA is passive.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I've been following this for a while as it's pretty interesting. They released a product a while ago, but it seems a bit out of reach financially.

http://www.theoretica.us/

They used to have some demo tracks formatted for mac computers (for their speaker spacing) and something for a portable speaker also. I'll stick with ambiophonics and Polk SDA for now until some of this tech becomes more accessible.
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Eliminates cross talk and has room correction. Awesome system supposedly. Otherworldly price... $54k.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Otherworldly price... $54k.
    Eliminates cross talk and at that price, eliminates it from my possession.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    ^^^

Bwahahahha....
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Bump... >:)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Wow, five years...
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    We've got five years, stuck on my eyes
    Five years, what a surprise
    We've got five years, my brain hurts a lot
    Five years, that's all we've got
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Club Polk: always ahead of the curve.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Damn, I wish I posted in that thread back in 2015. I would be an internet legend when this technology catches on. :'(
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Interesting technology. Here's a Stereophile article on it.
    https://www.stereophile.com/content/bacch-sp-3d-sound-experience#rVEpvY7vjwqkFCHa.97
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2020
    2015... now it's... umm...what year?
    (I know, I did that arithmetic already tonight)

With this context (thanks for bumping this old thread!), this story is starting to remind me of a high-tech company I once worked for -- we used to say (cynically, of course) that the company's motto was:
    Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow

:#

Now, implementation of this technology with a pair of, say L-200s, might be interesting. Not at $54k, though ;)

My guess is that eventually the VCs funding this will sell it out to someone who'll put it in smartphones, and it'll be a soundbar style 'spatial enhancement'.

• mhardy6647
    Thread back from the dead! :#

Remember BACCH?
    There's a field report of sorts @ AA. Since it references some old-school analog faves (Sonic Holography and... umm... SD... SD... SD-something, eh?) ;) I thought it might be of interest to those who don't amble past AA much any more. B)

https://www.audioasylum.com/audio/general/messages/77/772581.html