R10 vs T15

Options
Hello,

I own an old pair of R10 for stereo listening and I am in love with the "clean" sound quality it provides. However, one of the speakers died and now I am thinking between fixing it, buying a second handed pair, or replacing both with a new pair of T15 (all will cost around the same amount of money).

MY GOAL IS TO ACHIEVE AT LEAST THE EXACT SAME CLEAN & ALIVE SOUND, IF NOT BETTER...

This led me to explore a bit of the history of Polk's speakers. From what I concluded,
R1 (1990s) -> R10 (2000s) -> R15 (mid 2000s) -> T15 (2010s)
Are all considered to be the same model successors over the years. All have the same size, same weight, same drivers sizes, and same design overall (with minor cosmetic changes).

This led me to wonder what do I miss in here. I don't see the logic of making a new model which is exactly the same as the older one but with only minor cosmetic changes each time.

Now, although the drivers are the same size, they are marked different. So if they are the same, why would the mark change at all?

All of this makes me suspect that there has to be a difference in the sound quality they produce. Combine this with a rumor I have heard that "older speakers are generally better, and specifically better for 2 channel audio - as for nowadays, manufacturers tend to focus their lower end models for HT purposes, which require less precised sound producing as for music listening".

This assumption is pushing me away from buying the newest model T15 (which is the option that I would definitely prefer as I know that I get a brand new speakers with no unknown history nor a fixed-not-guaranteed speaker instead).

So what are my questions at all?

1. My biggest wish is to find here someone who have tried both and can input on my assumptions.
2. I would like you to share any knowledge about these models and the difference between them (for example, T15 is advertised for HT purposes - do you know what was the case back then with the R10?).
3. I would like to understand whether there are changes in the drivers themselves during the years, as they are marked differently. And if there are - what are the changes in terms of differences in sound.
4. I would like to have a discussion about the bold rumor I have stated.
5. I would like to ask you what were you doing if you were in my situation, according to your experience.

Feel free to join the fun ;)
Thanks!

Comments

• RonTG
    RonTG Posts: 7
    Options
    I would like to add that I found out that the drivers are indeed different by terms of total frequency range, while the T15 has an advantage of the R10. But I don't know what else has changed in terms of music hearing vs HT.
    Also, I would like to emphasize that the rumor of "old is better" is the one actually preventing me from upgrading. What do you think about that?
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    I just bought a pair of T15's & a T30 center for a gaming set-up. So naturally the first thing I did was listen to music through the T15's. I can wholeheartedly say they are terrible for music. With them positioned properly at ear level there is a huge mid-range dip which makes music sound very hollow. If I stand up they sound much better.

Fortunately, my teenage son is the end user. He wouldn't know good sound if it slapped him in the head. As long as the gunfire & explosions sound good he's happy.

I will say the T30 sounds pretty decent for what it is.
  • RonTG
    RonTG Posts: 7
    edited January 2020
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I just bought a pair of T15's & a T30 center for a gaming set-up. So naturally the first thing I did was listen to music through the T15's. I can wholeheartedly say they are terrible for music. With them positioned properly at ear level there is a huge mid-range dip which makes music sound very hollow. If I stand up they sound much better.

Fortunately, my teenage son is the end user. He wouldn't know good sound if it slapped him in the head. As long as the gunfire & explosions sound good he's happy.

I will say the T30 sounds pretty decent for what it is.

Thank you for sharing.

I cannot understand how a successor of the same model with an improved frequency range can sound worst than the origin.

Maybe in order to enlarge frequency range you have to trade off sound quality when using the same woofer size. I have no knowledge about sound designing so it is just an assumption. I mean, the rest of the woofer's specs are identical.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,473
    Options
    Have you looked into Polk Monitor 30 or 40's by chance. When they came out I bought some just to try. For what they cost they seemed to sound good with a decent subwoofer. Keep in mind these are not top of the line speakers & can be had new for cheap $$$
    Randy/Maine