Tube disposal

Over the years I have purchased old console stereo's that have tube amps in them.

I planned on doing something with them someday but now realize I'm never going to mess with them.

How do you folks safely dispose of old tubes?
The recycle place I know accepts electronics but not to sure about dropping off tubes there.

FYI, it's just a place that has dumpsters, no staff to ask questions.

Suggestions???

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,527
    oldrocker wrote: »
    Over the years I have purchased old console stereo's that have tube amps in them.

I planned on doing something with them someday but now realize I'm never going to mess with them.

How do you folks safely dispose of old tubes?
    The recycle place I know accepts electronics but not to sure about dropping off tubes there.

FYI, it's just a place that has dumpsters, no staff to ask questions.

Suggestions???

Dave..... whatcha got?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,784
    Just throw them in your trash can.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Dan

Philco, Sylvania, GE, Tug Sol, RCA.

Looking thru old posts that show a pic of the label.

Probably all junk but you can have them if you want them.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,550
    could be some gems there Dave.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Verb’s tube checking service? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • oldrocker
    I can't copy the polk page showing the pic.

• oldrocker
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    could be some gems there Dave.

I doubt it.

2020 is the year to clear the storage room...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,550
    apply to the garbage can then.
  • verb
    oldrocker wrote: »
    I can't copy the polk page showing the pic.

How about a link to that page?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • oldrocker
    Estate sale page I re-opened.
  • verb
    Cool! Bunch of Loktal’s in there! I gotta check my Philco 41-290 when I get home! Always use spares! :smile:
  • verb
    edited January 2020
    I posted this in the original thread too Dave :smile:

So I would say the rectifier tube 5U4G is worth some coin. Some NOS tubes like Ken Rad's can get a hundie. 2nd on the list would be the 6V6GT (you have 2 of em). Just do a quick search to see what they get.

Unfortunately I can only use the 7B7 for my Philco, of which I already have 2 NOS spares!

If they test good, I would try to let someone else use em. Good luck! :smile:
  • EndersShadow
    edited January 2020
    @oldrocker

Dave.... If @verb doesn’t need some of them, I will take them.... if I can’t use em myself I’ve got a cool idea for them...

See below

dxzvkvxc75zq.jpeg

Also if your getting rid of any of the FURNITURE/consoles.... let me know lol....

Wasn’t sure if you are junking just the toobs or the whole project
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,307
    That IS a cool idea for an X-mas ornament. Never thought about that before but it is part of most of our lives.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • EndersShadow
    edited January 2020
    Thanks @treitz3 .... my wife got me 6 two years ago from a seller on Etsy......

We tried to buy more last year but he doesn’t sell them anymore.... I want to make some myself and perhaps shoot them to some folks around Christmas time :smile:
  • oldrocker
    @oldrocker

Dave.... If @verb doesn’t need some of them, I will take them.... if I can’t use em myself I’ve got a cool idea for them...

See below

dxzvkvxc75zq.jpeg

Also if your getting rid of any of the FURNITURE/consoles.... let me know lol....

Wasn’t sure if you are junking just the toobs or the whole project

Doesn't look like verb needs them.

I gutted the entire Philco 46-1213 of all components but tossed the cabinet.

If you want any of the electronics, you can have it.

Cool Christmas ornament idea..
  • verb
    Yep! Have at it Dan! Sounds like a cool project!
  • EndersShadow
    @oldrocker i will catch up with you later then. I will take whatever you’ve got :).....
  • oldrocker
    @oldrocker i will catch up with you later then. I will take whatever you’ve got :).....

Sounds good.

I'll box everything up.
    Some Saturday that works for you, I can drop it all off.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I throw mine in the ocean just to piss off the whales.803ukiwxb3mr.jpg