SDA OEM tweeters.

Options
I know I'm in the minority here, but I love the SL 2000 tweeters. I really think it's all about how you pair them. I'm running an NAD 375bee amp. Fed by a Rega p6 with an Exact 2 and the Rega fono preamp. My SDAs have been totally recapped, rebuilt. I still prefer the sound of the original SL2000 tweeters. I have a set of the Polk upgrade tweeters, but they're in the cabinet. They soud dull with this setup. It's a different story if I'm using my CD Player, but I very rarely do, and then I just cut the treble a little. The Vinyl sounds so much more life like, from the mids to the top with the SL2000, there really is no comparison in my opinion. I'm just wondering if anyone else hears the things I do. Maybe it's the new caps, perhaps it's my 53 year old ears. Giggles. But it sounds amazing to me, and that's all that matters.

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    Your name isn't Ron, is it? LOL

Seriously, when you bought the upgraded tweeters, did you give them time to break in? They may have also sounded dull compared to what you're used to. I have the RD0198s in my SDAs, and they sound anything but dull.

@la2vegas is spot on, all that matters is how they sound to you.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I'd say your cart and/or your phono stage are what is dull needing the 5dB spike of the SL2000 to help the sound.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vintagenut
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I left them in for probably 50 hours or so. Do you all think that's enough? I've considered that It may be something else in my setup, but that wouldn't account for the "life" the old tweeters seem to bring back. Basically everything that isn't bass sounds better to me. Far more detail, More shimmer in the cymbals, more texture in the horns, and a deeper,wider sound stage. The synergy they have with the SL2000s often leave me shaking my head in awe. I've been wanting to buy a good set of headphones to see what it sounds like without the speakers. In the meanwhile I just keep reminding myself that Mathew Polk must have liked them too. LOL
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Get you a set of silver coated OCC copper speaker cables and the SL2000 spike will give you a migraine
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    I'm 62+ and also like the SL2000s' sound but...

The RD-0194's do sound better after they are used for 40+ hours.

But I did listen to the old SL's for years but they weren't as harsh sounding as others I've heard here.

But with my old ears, I still Love the newer tweeters over the old fish eyes. Let the newer ones play for a while longer, please. :p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • vintagenut
    Options
    Does anyone here think maybe it's the sonicap capacitors used in the rebuild? They're supposed to be warmer sounding. Either way I can listen for hours without any ear fatigue whatsoever, and It sounds like a live performance. Thanks everyone.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    No, it's your cart/phono stage.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Could be as simple as your own personal hearing.
    I have seen others like the SL200O also.
    The SL200O tends to not age well also.

As mentioned, may also be your cart and phono section, as you say with CD it is not as good.
    Far more likely that CD is closer to neutral sounding than some cart/phono set ups.
    Carts can vary a good bit based on loading and simply their built in response.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    No experience with the Rega Fono, but I had the Exact 2 originally on the RP6 (Jolida JD9 phono pre) and thought it to be pleasantly musical but a bit soft in HF energy.

I say enjoy the combo that pleases you - that's what it's all about. But, if you do look to improve, I'd switch to the RDO tweeter and upgrade the cartridge and maybe the phono pre as F1 suggests. One phono pre that I think is a great value is the $300 Lounge LCR (link below).

https://loungeaudio.com/lcr-mr-iii
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • vintagenut
    Options
    Thanks for all the response folks. I put the upgrade tweeters back into my SDAs, changed out the cartridge to an Ortofon 540 MKII and the pre-amp stage to a Schiit mani, and everything is right with the world again. The 540 cured my issues with the new tweeters, the Mani just happened to be a new addition that i'm very impressed with. But I am looking to upgrade the preamp further. Any suggestions?