Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Seems like a logical choice....
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    Mark (BassPig) actually has his own stand alone commercial generator to power his rig. Completely off the grid.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    edited December 2019
    Options
    A stand alone genset would bring...

- Vastly less stable voltage power.

- Loading will very the engine speed effecting dynamically the cycles per second speed from 60hz.

- Normally a very dirty power feed versus what you get from the power company.

- Realibility problems if you don't stay right on top of your regular maintenance. A lot of expense involved.

One of the stupidest ideas ever.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,549
    edited December 2019
    Options
    @CoolJazz I was thinking the same thing. I used to work for ListenUp in Colorado and we installed a HT in the basement of this guys guest house. This place was dead in the middle of the mountains with no utilities. He used wind, solar and a generator for power. He kept blowing Runco projector bulbs. We replaced 2 or 3 under warranty then Runco said no more. They blamed his power systems with spikes and dips for the burn outs.
    Post edited by CH46E on
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    CoolJazz wrote: »
    A stand alone genset would bring...

- Vastly less stable voltage power.

- Loading will very the engine speed effecting dynamically the cycles per second speed from 60hz.

- Normally a very dirty power feed versus what you get from the power company.

- Realibility problems if you don't stay right on top of your regular maintenance. A lot of expense involved.

One of the stupidest ideas ever.

CJ

It wouldn't be his first.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    I measured my inverter-generator's output with my alpha meter a while back and it's very dirty. In excess of 2000 while my household line at it's worst is 800.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    It's safe to say he probably doesn't have any women in his life.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    That 2nd guy in the video lives in a box to have more money to buy audio gear, had worn the same clothes for 15 years, and his audio is more important than his girlfriend. This man is my idol.
  • CH46E
    Options
    All that money on equipment and has a acoustically horrible room.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    All that money on equipment and has a acoustically horrible room.
    I thought a refrigerator and stove on your 2nd reflection points would be ideal....😂
  • CH46E
    Options
    I guess if you open the fridge all the way it might act as a diffuser??? 😁
  • CH46E
    Options
    Instead of a new utility pole could he not just go with a large isolation transformer? Or does that not 100% isolate your power supplies from the grid?
  • CH46E
    Options
    https://www.newark.com/triad-magnetics/md-2000-u/transformer-isolation-120v-2kva/dp/72Y5054

Can anyone tell me if this would work? Its 120 vac and can handle 16.66 amps. I was thinking I could plug my Belkin PF60 power center into it to run the HTR and all the sources. Then run my TFM45 amp direct to the other outlet on the transformer. I dont ever recall seeing my system pull more than 12 amps. And even then I had the subwoofer amp hooked to the power center. Now the TV and sub amp are on the rest of the house ac line, so I dont have to calculate thier all draw.

This transformer would be plugged into my dedicated 10 awg line with it's own circuit breaker.

My goal is a lower noise floor. I hate that little hiss in the speakers.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    That little hiss is quite normal and is related to your amplifier not the incoming electrical.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Lower noise floor get rid of the TFM45. My hot rodded TFM45 makes my noise harvester's blink so fast the 3 of them just put out solid bright blue light. My Adcom 5802 and Aragon 4004mkii do not make them blink at all.
  • CH46E
    Options
    Anyone want to trade for a TFM45????😁