Krell getting affordable.

gwh
gwh Posts: 1,451
Yeah I know it's a jillion years old forget about bells and whistles how do these old units compare sound wise to something modern?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/442578623086289/
HT:
Martin Logan Motion 40
Martin Logan Motion 50XT
Emotiva Airmotiv E2
SVS SB16 Ultra
Def Tech Reference Sub
Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.

Comments

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    That is the problem with AV receivers. They keep changing the way to hook it up to video. When that happens it is obsolete. This girl doesn't even have HDMI hookups (and the ones that still do will soon be obsolete too).

Never heard one but I think sound wise a Krell should sound better than anything new for $450.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Run away fast... I would not spent the money on it as they are no longer supported by Krell, or so I've been told.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    I dont disagree regarding a/v processors. But their older amps are sweet. Been listening to my kav250a (not their best for sure) but I haven't had my ears on anything better (to my ears) for less than 2x their going price. In the 1000. To 1500 price range i just cant think of any 2 ch I'd rather have.i accept it may be just my preference but I have listened to many amps in the 2k+ market (vintage) that just won't surpass it imho.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • crashb4
    crashb4 Posts: 222
    +1 for the KAV-250a. Just got mine. Wow - just Wow.
    Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    I've got one and really like it. It uses separate DACs for stereo and 5.1 and is pretty versatile. I mainly just listen to 2ch music and use a tube buffer between it and my amp.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • crashb4
    crashb4 Posts: 222
    How do you like the buffer? I’m thinking of going that rout or a full blown tube preamp. Lots of $
    Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    Like most things in my system, it's a compromise, but for around $100 it works for me. It adds a little organics to the midrange on some of the more sterile sounding CDs and can just turned off to bypass it.
    Make it Funky! :)