Suggestions for a SMALL receiver or amp

Options
In my office, I have a small Sharp receiver (actually from a mini stereo system rated at 20 watts per channel) playing a pair of TSi300 (about to be swapped for a pair of TSi400). I would like a bit more power but the size is important. The receiver currently sits in a shelf that is 16" wide and 14" deep. It is used 90% of the time playing streamed music from an amazon echo at a very moderate volume. I would like to add a bit more power but need the size (and budget) to remain small. I have searched but not found a good option. Suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    PSAudio Sprout?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    edited December 2019
    Options
    The key is are you willing to buy used and what is the budget???

The marantz slimline AVRs would work but of course be overkill. However you can get an older on on eBay for less that $200 and they sound very nice.

This would sound MUCH better than the sharp especially with the built in DAC: https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/products/nad-electronics-d-3020-v2-hybird-digital-amplifier-factory-refurbished?variant=19686773981238&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiA3OzvBRBXEiwALNKDP_gvWKcGvQ2BOng_e-ZhXO93B0FUHLf7NAgjxxEJOPTNLnCJ1gaJxBoCp00QAvD_BwE

I also second the sprout as a good new option...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,032
    edited December 2019
    Options
    The OP should IMO definitely & seriously consider "Class D" amplifiers as a :D class (several having been mentioned already). Even the cheap ones sound pretty good (surprisingly good), IME, and there are decent ones that are small and even fairly inexpensive.

I am in no position to recommend any specific brands or models -- but there are myriad choices at prices far below the MSRP of the Sprout (original or the current Sprout 2) This being said, I don't know what the prices are like on used Sprouts (or the NAD)... I am guessing (but it's just a guess) that they don't hold their value terribly well.

EDIT: Here's a not-entirely-random :p example (for example):

https://www.parts-express.com/smsl-sa-98e-tda7498e--stereo-amplifier-2-x-160w--230-214

Take the power ratings with a big ol' grain of salt, but something like this will probably do a good job with most bookshelf or desktop speakers, at least nearfield -- and might be kind of surprising with real speakers in an actual listening space ;)

9s56c5px9alo.png

(note my liberal use of the subjunctive mood and of weasel-words like probably above! :) )
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,001
    Options
    Class-T amps should also be considered...especially if the budget is limited. Topping class-T amps are plentiful and reasonable. Their model numbers all start with 'TP', and then you can choose how much power, and how many inputs, you want/need.

I suppose the OP is using the 3.5mm analog line-out on their Echo, with RCA plugs on the amp end of the cable. Bluetooth is an option as well with the Echo, and some of the options mentioned above have that capability. I have a Sprout in utility use and like it a lot, but the phono input (on the NAD as well) may be overkill for the OP's purposes.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,032
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Class-T amps should also be considered...especially if the budget is limited. Topping class-T amps are plentiful and reasonable. Their model numbers all start with 'TP', and then you can choose how much power, and how many inputs, you want/need.

I suppose the OP is using the 3.5mm analog line-out on their Echo, with RCA plugs on the amp end of the cable. Bluetooth is an option as well with the Echo, and some of the options mentioned above have that capability. I have a Sprout in utility use and like it a lot, but the phono input (on the NAD as well) may be overkill for the OP's purposes.

Totally concur -- I mentioned 'Class D' generically... but I really meant any and all nonlinear (PWM and whatever other switch-mode) amplifier modules/chips. They've become big business -- indeed, probably the future of hifi due to their energy efficiency (and whether I/"we" like it or not).

At any rate, lots of decent sounding, small, and even downright cheap options out there. Expensive ones, too (not all of which, of course, are physically small).

• onlye
    onlye Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions.