What model are these in wall speakers?

bskupaka
bskupaka Posts: 2
edited December 2019 in Vintage Speakers
Bought a new house and previous owner painted over the grills. I am looking to replace the grills only if I can figure out the model. Trim dimensions are roughly 16.5 x 7. House was built in 1993 if that helps, no idea the age of the speakers

grcp3biyjjdk.jpg

Comments

• CNWDI
    CNWDI Posts: 91
    Just based on the fact that those have an actual discrete tweeter assembly, I'm pretty confident saying they're 1990s to *maybe* early 2000s. Looks likely to be 6.5" midrange/woofers along with the tweeter.

The fact that it's a "silver dome" tweeter, and the fact that it's visually older than the TC265i that was discontinued ~2011 (from my notes trying to buy another pair around then) tend to confirm that to me.

I wasn't looking at in-wall speakers in the right timeframe to match this one, so I don't have specifics...but unless a wizard jumps in my guess is that finding replacement screens will be...difficult.
    Current polk speakers:
    Family room 5.1: TC265i R/L, VM10 Center, RC65i surrounds (couldn't match the TCs)
    Basement non-dedicated 7.1 HT: SDA-CRS+ R/L, 255c-LS Center, LSiFX surrounds, RC80i in-ceiling rear surround, plus Wharfedale 12" sub (some day I'll get around to building 15" F-20 sub).
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    My guess is they are AB800's based on this recent thread. https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/188866/polk-audio-ab800-in-wall-restoration.

I doubt replacement grills will be available. Your will likely need to paint over them in a new color, or strip them and repaint them. If they were originally powder coated with a gloss or semi gloss and the cover paint is latex, you may be able use latex paint remover to get back to the original finish. As mentioned, @nooshinjohn may be able to better answer the question.
  • pkquat wrote: »
    My guess is they are AB800's based on this recent thread. https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/188866/polk-audio-ab800-in-wall-restoration.

I doubt replacement grills will be available. Your will likely need to paint over them in a new color, or strip them and repaint them. If they were originally powder coated with a gloss or semi gloss and the cover paint is latex, you may be able use latex paint remover to get back to the original finish. As mentioned, @nooshinjohn may be able to better answer the question.

Stripping the old paint and repainting was my best option I assumed. Only concern is the fabric backing in the screens may get damaged. Thanks for the help

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    I was not aware they had a fabric backing. If you give it some time others may have some additional ideas. We do have some very creative and crafty people who post here. I am guessing it is slower lately due to the holidays.

Welcome to the forum as well. :)