Unexpected success !

Polkaguy58
Polkaguy58 Posts: 352
edited December 2019 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
As anyone that has read any of my posts might have gathered by now........I'm a full fledged tweaker.
Two months ago I retired from guitar repair and being a man without a car in the dead of winter, I don't go out much, so it was time to start tweaking !
I spent the whole summer picking up any cheap speakers at tag sales that I could fit on my motorcycle and had plenty of fodder to work with.
I started this project out with a pair of what must have been rear speakers for an 80's Zenith stereo system.
They're made from a thick inert plastic and shaped like leaned over trapazoids, with a full range 4" speaker angled slightly upwards.
The drivers however were 16 Ohm, so I replaced them with a pair of heavy magnet Minimus 7 woofers, that I doped with the thinnest SuperGlue that I had.
On top of these cabinets, I screwed on a couple of Cambridge Audio mini computer speaker enclosures (think Bose cubes) in a mirror image offset placement.
They have rubber washers that allow them to swivel.
I then gutted them and installed two polycarbonate 1" tweeters from a pair of Yamaha speakers that were given to me yesterday.
I also pilfered the two way crossovers from the Yamaha's, because they crossed at 5000Hz (12db), which is about what I guessed that my doped drivers were capable of covering.
The cabinets were stuffed with old fashioned fiberglass.
The first time I fired these babies up with some Steely Dan, I was flabbergasted !
They sounded better than my KEF Q10's !
After pointing the lower cases toward me and swivelling the tweeters slightly off axis outwardly...........it got even better.
By the time I matched the sub with them, I was in heaven !
All for the cost of 1 dollar. (what I paid for the Cambridge mini boxes)

asojpkehnmuy.jpg
x274cqx0o41x.jpg

Comments

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Well done! You had a lot of fun and achieved great results!

Not much more you can ask for.

Cheers. :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• I agree. I like hearing stories about minimal spending for good sound rather than large spending for great sound.

Im a bit of a tinkerer myself but I just don't have the room or time to build a set of Frankenstein speakers. Wish I did.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I agree. I like hearing stories about minimal spending for good sound rather than large spending for great sound.

Im a bit of a tinkerer myself but I just don't have the room or time to build a set of Frankenstein speakers. Wish I did.

Careful what you wish for... I seem to recall having an address that can get stuff passed along to you...

:*
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited December 2019
    Looks like fun....!

You may want to read Dennis's Measurements and "Review" of the minimus 7, may give some insight into your project. (since you used that woofer)
    http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=minimus.html