sda-2 and 10

Options
bikerboy
bikerboy Posts: 1,207
edited January 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Hi,
I am new to this forum, but am interested in buying a pair of sda-2 or a pair of monitor 10 from someone in oregon. The sda-2 have only one tweeter? I thought all sdas had dual tweeters. And the 10s have peerless tweeter and paper cones(no shiny coating) Are these earlier models and will the sda-2 offer the imaging that a dual tweeter model can present? Thanks for the input. :confused:
Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
Post edited by bikerboy on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Not all SDA's have dual tweeters. You have to get specific in this category. The SDA 2 had two(2) SL2000's, but not the later models. There is no need for an SDA tweeter, as was determined in later study and models.

The VERY early Monitor 10's have the Peerless type tweeter and non-coated woofers....you have to get specific here as well, as the Mon10 was a pretty transitional speaker in format.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Doro's right

my SDA-2B has only one tweeter, and sounds fantastic. if your gonna pick em up, make sure they have the interconnect cable. if not, its grounds for a serious price reduction. keep in mind some on this sight know how to make a cable and would probably be happy to show you in a pinch.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Welcome, bb...

What doro stopped short of telling you is that the 2nd tweeter in the first SDA's actually creates some surreal imaging (he claims to have seen God during one listening session). The single tweeter 2's are more accurate.

If the lack of a SDA interconnect can give you a bargaining chip or two, sobeit, but making one is no big deal...
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24748

As for the 10's... grab 'em. The original Monitors with the Peerless tweeter are the ones to own....
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Welcome Bikerboy,

finally someone from this part of the country. ha ha ha!

Spokane here.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dorokusai
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Welcome, bb...

What doro stopped short of telling you is that the 2nd tweeter in the first SDA's actually creates some surreal imaging (he claims to have seen God during one listening session). The single tweeter 2's are more accurate.

If the lack of a SDA interconnect can give you a bargaining chip or two, sobeit, but making one is no big deal...
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24748

As for the 10's... grab 'em. The original Monitors with the Peerless tweeter are the ones to own....

I just didn't feel like saying the same ole crap again, beings this was covered in another thread. Thanks for crawling out of the woodwork tho'.....silly Texan.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2005
    Options
    LOL... I figured as much... Sometimes ya just gotta take a break....
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • german
    german Posts: 22
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Hallo,
    I`m just trying to buy a polk audio system.Its named ST-2.It looks like a SDA-2.But I could nowhere find any Model named ST-2. Does anyone know that model,or knows ,what was its price,or how much it is worth now. A lot of questions thanks for help.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited January 2005
    Options
    There isn't a Polk speaker model ST-2.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• german
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Yes it must have been a reading fault--will be the sda-2--
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Someones working the late shift in Germany... Guten Nacht...

There are 3 different generations of the SDA 2 (plus the SRS 2). Value varies with the model, and I'd think you pay a premium in Europe for them (then again, the Euro is strong right now).

Assuming you are looking at the model 2A's, which seem to be the most common of the 2's on the market, somewhere in the range of US $200 to $300 is fair depending upon condition, availability of the SDA interconnect, and any extras such as original boxes and manual.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Tour2ma
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Here's a pic of the 2A.......

If the one you are looking at look different, let us know...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• german
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Hallo,
    The dealer,where I saw that Polk Audio wants $400,- for the pair. Tomorrow I`ll buy that nice Pair and can tell more about its type. It seems to be identic with that pair in the moment at ebay:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71571&item=5744475686&rd=1
    called SDA-2-B. I would have sweared that the one I`ll buy tomorrow was called ST-2.We`ll see.
    When was the SDA-2-B produced,and how much did it cost?
    Thanks for replies.
    Grüße aus Deutschland und einen schönen Tag.
    Greatings from Germany

PS. Polk audio normally isn`t available in Germany.Only the new car speakers of Polk. The pair ,I found, is a remain of a member of the Air Force.
  • F1nut
    edited January 2005
    Options
    The 2B was made from 1987 to 1990, the original cost was $1300.00 a pair. They sell here in the $300.00 to $350.00 range, so $400.00 in your country wouldn't be a bad deal in my opinion. Make sure they have the interconnect cable that runs between the speakers.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Agree, Jesse, $400 is not bad at all for 2B's, if they are in very good condition. Far more attractive then the 2A's, IMO. I have only seen two pair on ebay, one went for $300, the other for $380.

german,
    Good luck... Please post results, and pictures, if you land them.

Where in Germany are you?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• german
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.I think there are only 10 hours left to live without these nice speakers.When I heard the sound of these speakers at Saturday ,I knew that the time of my Technics SB-5000 speakers would be over.Surely I`ll post a photo and the exact type. --I live near Trier,close to the Luxemburg and French boarder. ---These will be my second speakers of US production.In my car I use a 500Watt Marathon speaker with a pioneer 4channel class A Amp. The Marathon was the first to survive the heavy attacks of that Amp.
    Viele Grüße
    German
  • german
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Hallo
    went this morning to the shop to buy these sda2 .I could reduce the price to $ 350,-. My first look was to the label. Indeed its SDA2,
    Serialnumber R SDA2 19397
    L SDA2 20311.
    And with the special connecting cable.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Those look MINT. NICE snag man, reviews are a must!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • german
    edited January 2005
    Options
    And here my second try to upload a goodlooking picture
  • german
    edited January 2005
    Options

Here the serialplate----but how does one know,that it is a SDA2 B?
    2.jpg 63.6K
  • dorokusai
    edited January 2005
    Options
    It's an SDA 2B.

The cabinet design is what gives it away as a "B" version.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2005
    Options
    350 US or 350 euro??

350 US with cable is a pretty good deal.

What base is the Air Force guy stationed at??

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Yup... oak end caps... pretty...

Wunderbar, german...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• german
    edited January 2005
    Options
    @troyd
    That guy was from Spangdahlem Airbase (near former Bitburg Airbase) I paid Euros,but an Euro is quite the same as a dollar.14 month s ago I got 1,2 Euros for a Dollar,now you get 1.3 Dollars for an Euro,but when I go shopping,prices remained equal(only US-cars and other US goods became cheaper.
  • F1nut
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Congrats! Feed them lots of high current power and you're in for a treat.

President of Club Polk

• german
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Does anybody have a manual of the SDA 2-B.I would be glad if someone could send me a copy of the specifications.Also I would like to know,where I can get the sda -Compendium.
    Another Question: how are the sidewalls with the cloth fitted to the body.I ask because one is at the rear a little bit loose.Not much.-
    Today my SDAs got new shoes (spikes) the old ones were broken or lost.Only one of these brown hardplastic spikes was left,and the nails of the others.
    Meanwhile after many hours of listening to these SDAs,I can only say : fantastic,that sound,incredible good.
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Hi All,
    Thanks for all the info on the speaks. I bought the pair of sda-2a? from the person in oregon for $225/pr. I had to brave a nasty ice storm to get them. They look like the pic of the pair that Tour2ma posted. They had a diy interconnect and I connected it large spade to large spade because when I tried the other way the amp shut down. I have been listening all morning and they are the best speaker I will every afford due to WAAF= wife approves all finances. They can handle all kinds of music without any stress. The Denon avr-1082 may not be enough power but the speakers may be part of a two channel downstairs someday. I have a Voice of Music int tube amp that may be with the sdas later to check out the "tube" sound. That way I will have an all analog system downstair, HT upstairs. Someday. I have listened to Annie Lennox-Bare, Maktub-Subtle Ways, Crystal Method-Legion of Boom, and Public Enemy-Apocalypse 91 and all I can do is smile. Congats German for your find. I know you will be smiling also. They even sound great when I am in the next room. It seems these speaks have no fuses on the outside. Are there fuses inside? Thanks all and :) listening, Jeff
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Congrats, bb... the "SDA smile" is a common reaction. Warning... it can become permanent... :D

If they look like the pic, they be 2A's... In place of fuses, they have polyswitches in the cross-over to protect the tweeter.

And yes, large spade to large is the way to go. Internal wiring of one speaker is the opposite of the other. Going large to small sets up a dead short for your amp.... but then you've already experienced that... luckily with no permanent damage. Tag the spades to avoid repeats.

german,
    Glad you are enjoying your 2's as well...

PM the Club member DarqueKnight for info on the compendium. He is the author/ publisher.

For the Manual, contact Ken Swauger of Polk Customer Service. He will send you a reproduction.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli