Rotel RB-1590 or Parasound A21+?

BjornB17
BjornB17 Posts: 752
edited December 2019 in 2 Channel Audio
I have the opportunity to acquire either of these two amps to power a pair of RTiA9's (also supported by pair of Rythmik F18's). From what I can tell, both of these amps are smooth, sweet, and slightly warm of neutral which should go well with the A9's. Is either of them a clear choice over the other? Functionally the Rotel works a little better since the shape fits better into my furniture but can make the Parasound work as well. I'm thinking either will be almost equally good but I'm still stuck between the two. This will be in a fairly big room (26'x18'x11'), mostly home theater but a bit of music and general media streaming as well.
KEF Q150 | Rythmik F12 | Yamaha Aventage RX-A780

Comments

• I had A21 that drove RTiA9s and I enjoyed it. Even better if you can get something that delivers even higher watts. Clarity/details goes up with more juice...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited December 2019
    Parasound will have better woofer control. It is a better amp IMO
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    I find the Rotel amp to be warmer and more musical.

Great control of the soundstage and plenty of woofer control. I just find the A series parasound amps to be a bit sterile.

The RB 1582 MKII has been handling my Venere S speakers wonderfully. The 1590 I heard was fantastic.

I was contemplating buying one myself, but they announced the Michi line. Now I’m dying to get my ears on those amps!
  • BjornB17
    haha, great feedback - sounds like people are split on which is better. The warm+musical combo sounds good to me. I would likely be wanting the black version of either.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    I find my A31 Halo a perfect match powering my A9s and CSI A6, however that Rotel is probably very capable also. Let us know what you end up getting.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    I vote for Parasound ....

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I vote for the Rotel
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    If the opportunity is local, maybe you could audition both, and then decide.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    I have the Rotel RB-1590 and recently put it back into service repurposed as amps for the front left/right in my HT. I don't have experience with Parasound and can't compare but I can say the Rotel is a very nice capable piece.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The A21+ will be more refined and smooth sounding, the 1590 more powerful but also grainier. I would pick the A21+ for two channel but the 1590 for home theater, or the smaller 1582 may be a better choice. The RTi speakers are not tough loads to drive.

If using an entry level AV preamp to run into the amp the choice of amp is not all that important really. But either amp can be around for a long time as the rest of the system grows around it.
  • BjornB17
    Since the A21+ is a little too long, what about getting a pair of A23+ and running them each in bridge monoblock mode? 500 wpc when bridged!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    BjornB17 wrote: »
    Since the A21+ is a little too long, what about getting a pair of A23+ and running them each in bridge monoblock mode? 500 wpc when bridged!

Bridged amps have a higher noise floor.

I agree with Emlyn that the Rotel amps are grainy.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BjornB17
    F1nut wrote: »

Bridged amps have a higher noise floor.

I just heard back from Parasound and they confirmed the higher noise floor and that THD doubles when bridging.

Maybe I should just roll with the A21+, it is a little long but I can work with it. Also costs a little less than the Rotel.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    If you are buying new, Audio Advisor has the A21+ on sale now.

If you are looking to primarily do home theater with an amp, the A31 in its "legacy" finish is a great deal while they last...I just got one myself. Gives all three front speakers the same amplification.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAHA31
  • I vote A21+ :)
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited December 2019
    While I have only had a Parasound HCA750A and a Parasound 2250 v2 (Never a Halo)and have only worked at a place that sold Rotel, I think I'd go for the Rotel. But that might just be because I have owned Parasound and not Rotel. I always really liked what the Rotels sounded like in the showroom.

No matter what way you go, I think you will enjoy.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited December 2019
    haha, great feedback - sounds like people are split on which is better. The warm+musical combo sounds good to me. I would likely be wanting the black version of either.

There isn't much out there that is Sexier than a Black Halo piece of gear.

5t1x8mg2ox8d.png

• Upstatemax
    F1nut wrote: »

Are you basing this opinion on the RB 1590 and RB 1582 MKII specifically?

Because my own hands on experience with them has shown the exact opposite.

With the Rotel amps in, soundstage was wider, better midrange clarity and warmer.

With the A21 we noticed the midrange shrink and push back, soundstage shrink and a top end glare.

I don’t think a single person in that room would have called the Rotel amps grainy.

I bring this up because I know Rotel amps in the past suffered from what you’re describing, but I feel that the current crop are a whole different animal.
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    I've had both Rotel (RB990BX) and Parasound (A21) for 2-channel. Liked them both. Like the Halo better. But, it IS a beast.
  • audioluvr
    Now that we've totally confused the OP. Do you have a quarter? Flip it. Heads for Parasound, tails for Rotel. Problem solved. :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • CH46E
    I could see the Class D Rotels being considered grainy by some. But that 1590 is a Class AB amp and should be superb.
  • BjornB17
    Well now I am thoroughly confused :D
  • Upstatemax
    Your best bet is to try and get your ears on both and figure out what amp works better for you.
  • CH46E
    My next amp purchase will likely be a Rotel. It's just what's next in my line.
  • audioluvr
    I'll throw this in the mix of confusion:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649576017-bampk-sonata-pro-10-preamplifier-and-m-200-200wpc-monoblock-amplifiers/

These rarely come up for sale. I'm having my restored to the tune of over $1,000. Wouldn't cough up this kind of money unless I liked them. The Pro 10 is extremely rare. One of the best solid state pre amps made and mate perfectly with the amps.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC