SPAM

verb
verb Posts: 10,176
edited December 2019 in The Clubhouse
I like this kind of SPAM! :smile:

23yhihyxv2nl.png

Not this kind, noted below.

So I'm sure most of you noticed there has been a deluge of SPAM infiltrating this forum. I mostly ignore them, but they have been getting my curiosity up a bit when they bump old threads that I have never seen before. Very clever. And insidious.

Oh yeah, I refreshed myself on the Club Polk rules of engagement. Lots of good stuff in there!

ygs2dl62txlo.png
Did a quick check, and it looks like most of the SPAM posts are created by bots. New word for me, they are called SPAMbots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_spam

I understand they want to get you to click the link. Very dangerous. It can be just to get the traffic count increased to their website, to garner more revenue, or worse. A virus could be downloaded to your machine!

Just wanted to learn here and have us folks share. What is the best way to handle it?

What I know so far:
  • I've seen some of you flag them as spam. How exactly does one do that?
  • Ignore them.
  • Don't quote them. Then the SPAM will live forever, even if that account gets deleted.
Others here, have responded in a heavy handed or offensive, but funny, way. Got some good laughs recently. But, now I know that the machines most likely won't be offended or care.

Some spammers are real people, so for those of you out there, heed our disdain for you. You are not welcome!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Comments

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    edited December 2019
    verb wrote: »
    [*] I've seen some of you flag them as spam. How exactly does one do that?
    6b8mef65cz30.jpg

Only works if there is a moderator.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    The OP can be considered spam. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • verb
    LOL! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Hermitism wrote: »
    [*] I've seen some of you flag them as spam. How exactly does one do that?
    6b8mef65cz30.jpg

Only works if there is a moderator.

Thanks Hermit! Duh. :blush: It does appear however that we are getting some support. SPAM posts are starting to disappear! WooHoo! :smile:
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited December 2019
    I think that @CassidyStains is riding shotgun* on spammers now!
    Huzzah! :)

In seriousness, I've never stopped using the "report" flag for spam & spammers.

• verb
    Shout out to @CassidyStains ! Keep up the good work! And keeping us safe! :smile:
  • First time I have heard of @CassidyStains.

I noticed the "spam" that posted and brought back the "Hass Avocado recipe contest wife is a finalist" thread was replaced.

In case you missed it, the "spam" had some facts regarding avocados so I deemed it "Avocado - Spam".

I identified it with picture of an avocado and can of spam.

Now, the real "spam" has been replaced by a post by msg. Maybe msg deleted it.

Verb, most McDonald's in Hawaii serve Spam with rice for breakfast.
    https://youtu.be/G1wALJrHYDg

My girlfriend really detests Spam so I put a can in her "specialty foods" pantry cabinet which has a glass door. She spotted it when I was not there but I caught some grief later.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Hey all, yeah we're trying to be more vigilant of the forum. Just keep flagging the posts and I'll take care of them. Some of these bots have multiple accounts so I've been mass banning them as they come through.

Awesome 👍
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Hey all, yeah we're trying to be more vigilant of the forum. Just keep flagging the posts and I'll take care of them. Some of these bots have multiple accounts so I've been mass banning them as they come through.

That is what we want to hear!
    thank you
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Thank you. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    First time I have heard of @CassidyStains.

I noticed the "spam" that posted and brought back the "Hass Avocado recipe contest wife is a finalist" thread was replaced.

In case you missed it, the "spam" had some facts regarding avocados so I deemed it "Avocado - Spam".

I identified it with picture of an avocado and can of spam.

Now, the real "spam" has been replaced by a post by msg. Maybe msg deleted it.

Verb, most McDonald's in Hawaii serve Spam with rice for breakfast.
    https://youtu.be/G1wALJrHYDg

My girlfriend really detests Spam so I put a can in her "specialty foods" pantry cabinet which has a glass door. She spotted it when I was not there but I caught some grief later.

The Mrs (she is Vietnamese) makes a variant of the spam/rice/eggs dish, and it is delicious! :smile:
  • mhardy6647

Thank you and thank The Powers that Be for Polk for doing this/enabling this, respectively.
  • mhardy6647
    ON topic :) I have fond memories of eating Spam in my younger days, but even then I was struck by how salty it was (is). Also vaguely weirded out by that gelatinous goop that was always present in the can.

Speaking of which, opening the can was absolutely the best part of the Spam experience. :)

I will allow that pan frying it does take Spam to the next level (even though I am not exactly sure what I even mean by that :p ) but, I mean, if you want some transcendent preserved pork meat product when it comes to pan frying, you jes' go and get yourself a package of this stuff from our farmer-neighbors here in NH:

http://www.garfieldssmokehouse.com/smoked-bacon.html

2nwakfm5e3em.png

I am not kidding around, here... and this is not spam (nor Spam)... B)

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    SPAM gives PAM a brain SPASM.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I want to flag ^ this guy. Ugh
  • verb
    edited December 2019
    joecoulson wrote: »
    J/k Jim

I love Jimmy!

J/k :smile:
  • CassidyStains, it is good to know you have our backs.

Mark, the bacon looks great, and would like to try it.

I like country ham and bacon from Father's Country Hams in Bremen, Kentucky. There are some great pictures of all their products on the website:
    https://fatherscountryhams.com/

6eutj5dgcaie.png
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • verb
    Love it! From SPAM to bacon. Some of my favorite foods! :smile:
  • Viking64
    I would like to try some of this, but $54 + shipping is a little steep for 12 ounces. :o

pzyrul2kll1s.jpg
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited December 2019
    Verb, I like the Spam, rice and egg dishes too.

The spam dishes at McDonald's in Maui are tasty and not cheap.

Does the Mrs make Pho soup? That's another delicious concoction.

Harry / Marietta GA
  • verb

OMG she makes the best Pho! :smile: Among other authentic Vietnamese dishes!
  • Viking64
    My ex-wife makes the best foe. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited December 2019
    Jimmy Dean sausage is my breakfast meat of choice... some folks are very passionate about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pN5X5F2H1Y
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Viking64
    LANGUAGE!!!!!!!!!! :p
  • verb
    edited December 2019
    Banh Mi is a very popular Vietnamese sandwich, served on French bread. I gotta have ask nicely if the Mrs make some tomorrow!
    99gujwds3luo.png

https://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2014/12/spam-banh-mi-recipe.html
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811

OMG she makes the best Pho! :smile: Among other authentic Vietnamese dishes!

we use to skewer fresh shrimp on to a piece of fresh cut sugar cane, then grill them for the spring rolls.... quite tasty...there were some great roll your own roll places back in the 80's and 90's
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Pork roll is awesome...I grew up and lived most of my life in NJ.

I have had Taylor, Case, Trenton and Hadfield.... To me Case was the best... Can only get Taylor here in FL tho.

https://www.nj.com/entertainment/2016/05/video_the_ultimate_pork_roll_taste_test.html

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |