Can anyone identify these Altec Lansing Speakers?

They have them at my kids school and can't find anything in my searches that looks related. Bad picture but looks like a Horn loaded woofer.

a67senecnwgf.jpg
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,021
    edited December 2019
    a67senecnwgf.jpg

Not immediately familiar to me -- I am thinking it's from very late in the 'real' company's history (perhaps even after the real company's history).
    The fact that it says "Altec Lansing" on the front, and not just "Altec" is odd and suggests (to me) it's from very "late" in the history of that once-great brand.

I presume you perused the catalogs at http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/catalogs/altec-cat.htm

I just dug around there a little, and this, from 1993, is about as close as I get to what I think I see there (the "A800" thing, on the right... although that appears to have a trapezoidal enclosure, maybe?)

htoubp8568hg.png
    source: http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1993-pro/1993-32.JPG

Can you guesstimate the dimensions?

There is a guy at AK who'll know :) He goes by "bowtie427ss" there.
    His knowledge of such arcana is most impressive.

I mean, it could be something like an 817A with a coaxially mounted (big) Mantaray horn...? I am way out of my depth, here! :(

4rq57r5sxptc.png
    source: http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1983-pro-short/page4.jpg

• Thanks Doc, I have always been curious about the speakers.

If I had to guess dimensions I'd say maybe 2 ft wide 3 feet tall and 2 ft depth.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • I'll take a look through the link you mentioned earlier to see if I can find anything more. :)

• 9euul1qhdre3.jpg

The second cab from the top seems to be closest to my eyes. They state it is a 1235 but the results of that show different cabs.

They say half an 817 with a mantaray horn so you seem to have possibly hit the nail on the head.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,589
    How do they sound, Cody?
  • mhardy6647
    Clipdat wrote: »
    How do they sound, Cody?

Well... I mean... they could be Stanley Screamers.

B)

cgsw6iyt37tu.png
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited December 2019
    after cropping, zooming and some color enhancement, appears to maybe be a square horn in center, with a woofer behind it, and slanted horn loading at top and bottom for woofer...but a bit of flash would help for sure!

Maybe the MR II 64 horn, as it is 12"x12" but hard to tell for sure.
    Post edited by K_M on
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2019
    Thus my earlier comment:
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    a67senecnwgf.jpg

Not...
    I mean, it could be something like an 817A with a coaxially mounted (big) Mantaray horn...? I am way out of my depth, here! :(

I've never seen an Altec enclosure with a coaxially mounted big horn, though -- and it doesn't look like it's a custom enclosure.

y6a8nxf7cw34.png
    Altec Mantaray CD horn -- borrowed image.

More typical latter-day VOT implementations (so to speak) tended to look more like this (again, borrowed image):

1nphxzkp78t3.png
  • K_M
    It looks quite similar to THIS cabinet, but with the Mantaray horn in front of woofer. Notice the wood slats going vertically etc.
  • K_M wrote: »

Could very well be, closest I've seen to the same cab this far.
    Clipdat wrote: »
    How do they sound, Cody?

I mean they sound good for background/children's Choir music played at low volumes. Lol.

Obviously never heard them actually turned up with anything resembling a good recording.

• K_M
    @codycatalist

The other possibility, it is a combination of things they sold, made like in a semi-custom way and not something in the catalogs or sold regularly.

I know some of the pro-sound people do this somewhat regularly, or they will produce "special" products for the government, churches, schools and so on.