Favorite Roon Features / What value does it add for you?

Options
I've given Roon a shot twice now. While it seems like a nice service, I don't think I can really justify the price given my current setup.

So, I was wondering: What are your favorite features, especially ones that may not be evident to a new user? What value does Roon add for you that keeps you coming back? I'm just kind of curious if I'm missing anything that could make a big difference to me. It seems like the software really does a lot, so I could be missing something.

A little about my setup... I have one main listening space with my nice audio equipment, where I use a Lumin D1. I have several other areas with smaller speakers in my house, where I use Apple Airport Express devices to stream music from my phone or computer.

I suspect part of the reason that Roon doesn't seem especially useful to me is that the Lumin software already does a decent job of integrating Tidal and my home music library. That, and a I don't own multiple high-end streamers.

It did seem like Roon was able to play music to the Lumin and the Airport Express devices in sync, which is something I can't do on my phone, because the Lumin does not have Airplay 2. Typically I can only play to multiple Airplay 2 devices in sync, the phone does not let me also choose Airplay 1 devices. Roon seems to be able to do that even though the Lumin isn't Airplay 2, which is pretty cool.

I can see Roon becoming very useful if you have multiple higher-end streaming devices in your house, which run on different softwares... you could presumably control all of them from the Roon interface.

The Roon album art/artist bios/etc. were cool, but typically I'm doing something else when I'm listening to music, like reading a magazine, surfing other places on the web, hanging out with friends, etc., so I'm not sitting there studying up on album and artist details.

Roon radio was decent... I would say it got closer to the type of music I like than, say, Tidal's autoplay or mix features.

So anyway, what do the hardcore Roon people think? What are your favorite features, especially ones that may not be evident to a new user? What value does Roon add for you that keeps you coming back?

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Sorry for missing this when you posted it...

I sprung for the lifetime Roon subscription. Simply put, I love how everything is in one neat and orderly "pile".
    Tidal, my music library...all one big container that all looks and plays the same.
    Then there is the Roon endpoint part that I love. I know some streaming devices/companies do similar but simply choosing a zone to play to is nice. And being able to play all different zones with the same or different music at the same time is nice for get togethers.

Cost is hard to swallow for a lot of people when you are only getting software but I work in IT and I know what kind of work goes into developing, testing, tweaking and releasing software and then keeping it up to date and fixing bugs or security vulnerabilities as they arise.

$500 is a small price to pay for a nicely curated and easily accessible music library.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • CottageChz
    Options
    Cool. Thanks for the response.

I agree that the zone function is very neat... I don't have that many "zones" in my current house. I could see this potentially becoming more useful to me when I move to a larger house someday, or acquire more streaming devices.

And $500 is a lot, but I don't see it as that crazy for a "lifetime" subscription, assuming 1) you utilize the software and its features often enough, and 2) the company does not go out of business or kill the software. If I ever get to the point that I want to use Roon regularly, I am pretty sure I will opt for the lifetime subscription rather than pay for individual years.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Right now, I have 3 Sonos devices, 2 Amazon Echos, 2 Amazon Echo Dots, 1 Amazon Echo Connect, my laptop, my pre/pro in the living room and soon, an Aries Mini...and they all are Roon Endpoints.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    The integration of my files was outstanding. I was quite amazed by this by not having to go in and change file locations or name, etc for a few albums or songs. I also really like how it automatically selects the best quality for the version meaning: SACD>FLAC>MP3. The interface is also really nice. The integration with Qobuz has been really good too. Also, it looks good, works good and I have not had 1 problem in the year I've used it. The sound quality through my DAC without having to use an external streamer is excellent. Many high-quality DAC's are now integrated with Roon. So, if I want to change my DAC, nothing else needs to change. Easy.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    Options
    I think that unless you have a very large library or multiple different endpoints that you want to connect it might not be work it. The two main reasons I like it is 1) it integrates tidal or Qobuz with your personal library and 2) I can control a bunch of different endpoints.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    Options
    Love Roon ...but the lifetime subscription just went up to $699 (in the cover of night)
    no warning or announcement
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited November 2019
    Options
    dhart86 wrote: »
    Love Roon ...but the lifetime subscription just went up to $699 (in the cover of night)
    no warning or announcement

I love Roon too!

Danny Dulai put this explanation up in the Roon forum a few days ago.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/lifetime-price-increase-499-699/84339
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • CottageChz
    Options
    Pretty much the answers I expected, but thanks for the input nonetheless!