SDA SRS 3.1 TL crossover & bi-amping

Options
Any old time SDA SRS owners out there? Last year I purchased a pair of SDA SRS 3.1TLs for $350 locally. They are immaculate sonically & cosmetically. My Pioneer VSX-1131 has 100w/pc, but seems to be running out of gas. The receiver can be set to bi-amp the speakers at the cost of losing my outdoor speakers, but can be switched back as needed. It has no Preamp outs, other than line 2. If I bi-amp them, how do I match up the crossover of the receiver & speakers? The Pioneer doesn't specify the crossover frequency, & I don't have the Polk manual.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    It will run out of gas faster. You cannot bi-amp with a receiver forget you ever had the thought. You'll need an amplifier preferably one with good current as well.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Yeah
    What he 👆🏾said
    You need to upgrade your receiver since you don’t have preamp outputs (which would have made this process of getting more power MUCH easier)
    I have the exact same models in the same color.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Your Pioneer VSX-1131 AVR doesn't have the current needed to properly drive the SDA's. You need a good high current integrated amp or separates.

As mentioned you cannot bi-amp with an AVR, period.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    Options
    Not sure anyone would claim any sonic benefit to bi-amping a set 3.1's in the first place. Dedicating a separate amp for just one tweeter per speaker always seemed a little odd to me. Still kicking myself for investing the extra $75 or so I spent on those four nice Cardas binding post that will never serve any purpose except looking pretty if anyone ever crawls behind the cabinet. Buy one good high-current amp and throw your extra cash at a set of MIT cables, sit back and enjoy.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• scottfox
    Options
    Anyone know of a 7.2ch Preamp that won't break the bank? Needs to have 5 HDMI min, Dolby Atmos. Everything I find is well over $1000. Found receivers w/pre outs for as low as $400. Suggestions? Used is OK too.
  • scottfox
    Options
    Derick- Thanks for the offer. I read the reviews, & they were excellent, but there are too many things missing for my needs. USB, Wifi, analog, Atmos. Long time no see. Hope all is well with you.
  • tie_dyed_oc2pus
    Options
    Using a Sony STR-DH810 receiver with the bi-amped setting on SRS 3.1 TL speakers. Will report back with observations using my Rat Shack SPL meter when I have the time...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Using a Sony STR-DH810 receiver with the bi-amped setting on SRS 3.1 TL speakers. Will report back with observations using my Rat Shack SPL meter when I have the time...

You're not bi-amping, not even close.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• sbb2112
    sbb2112 Posts: 134
    Options
    I am sure there are a lot of discussions on bi-amping and active crossovers. Might be a good read
    Main System
    Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Marantz MM7025 Amp rear surrounds
    McIntosh MC7205 Amp center, ceiling and mid surrounds
    McIntosh MC300 Amp front mains
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS with VR3 monastery crossovers
    Polk FX1000 Mid surrounds
    Klipsch RP-440C Center channel
    Klipsch RP-15M Rear surrounds
    SVS prime elevation ceiling surrounds
    Rythmik F15HP sub
    Samsung 8500 curved screen 65" LED 4K
    Mac Mini Server

Office System
    Musical Fidelity M6s dac/preamp
    Oppo 103D Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS 2
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Polk PSW 650 sub
    Microrendu
    Roku Ultra
    Mac Mini Server
  • hauxon
    hauxon Posts: 161
    Options
    I agree on seeing no benefit in running a separate amp for one tweeter. Can't offer advice on AV receiver, I have my SRS hooked as 2.1 for movies. Those big Polks appreciate power. I've had good spell with "British" amps first NAD and now with Cambridge Audio.
    SRS 1.2 TL | SDA 2B Studio TL | NAD M51 preamp/dac | DIY SET 300B tube amplifier | Cambridge Audio Azur 851W | Chromecast Audio | RoPieee Roon Raspberry Pi endpoint