In need of some construction advice.

2»

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    It’s a home theater, Dan, not an Indiana meth lab....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124

But it's cool B) ...
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    N
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

But it's cool B) ...

And due to the added weight of the books and their density, a better sound absorber
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited July 2019

A pocket door sure would have been nice. I have one for the entrance to my listening room and really enjoy how when it is open it’s out of the way. And I leave it open most of the time. Even when listening.

Here is a picture of how it integrates with the room and system.

unsyccv44ysf.jpeg
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I think I would look at moving the electric from it's current location to the entry way where the speakers are and then put a pocket door in.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    Doors that swing out would be fine. :)

kon0fcoer91v.jpg

LOVE IT! The name's on top too. B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,164
    tratliff wrote: »
    A pocket door sure would have been nice. I have one for the entrance to my listening room and really enjoy how when it is open it’s out of the way. And I leave it open most of the time. Even when listening.

Here is a picture of how it integrates with the room and system.

unsyccv44ysf.jpeg

Looks great!
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    sorry I am so late to this party... 'cause I'd have suggested a bead curtain.

19r3ekk16lgb.png
    (borrowed image, just to be absolutely clear about that)

B)

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Go back to your purple haze you hippie....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited July 2019
    F1nut wrote: »
    Hippie beads

Jesse beat you to it Doc... :)
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    I'll add some comments/suggestions (I know I'm late to the party).

I had nearly the exact situation in our theater. Originally the space just had an opening (no door). I had no qualms about installing an out-swing door and actually prefer it now that it's there. We could have put a pocket door in, but it would have involved moving electric and more work than I wanted to get into. Plus, we have 4 other pocket doors in the house and I HATE how flimsy the walls feel where the doors slide in.

As for the barn door style, it would be a good option, but think about access to the light switches. What's the first thing you do when you walk into a dark room? I'd think it'd be a little inconvenient to first have to fully close the door to access the light switch.

Also, a recommendation on the box-out around the HVAC in the front right ceiling... Build a matching one in the left to quell any OCD on symmetry. They'd make perfect 'mounts' for front height speakers!

Here's a picture of our HT front wall. The door in the front right corner swings out into a hallway just as yours would.

vsxhnvb2j2ip.jpeg
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I don't remember which member's HT this is, but they have a door that opens/swings out, not in. I remembered saving the pics to my computer.

acvolx1c6sry.jpg
    1p7ji7pmt775.jpg
    rmtrnh4kvgaw.jpg
    fo6h23zaiy55.jpg
    iw41hg7t4n8o.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Hippie beads

Jesse beat you to it Doc... :)

Derp.
    How'd I miss that?!
    I musta been stoned, man...
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    sorry I am so late to this party... 'cause I'd have suggested a bead curtain.

19r3ekk16lgb.png
    (borrowed image, just to be absolutely clear about that)

B)

Man, those are Greg Brady farrrrrr out! Maybe Ill get a set for this doorway to my room:
    5qm3wi8rtd96.jpeg

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    I'm super late to this and I bet the work as already been done. I'll add to the vote of confidence to the swing out door. What I wanted to add was possibly use heavy curtains for the door or to tame reflections.

One of the best sounding theater room I heard they had hung curtains on either side near the front to tame reflections There were also curtains between the side and rear speakers, and I think in the back too. At first the room seemed dead. It is was like you were hearing sounds from point sources on the sides and rear, and the front felt narrow. The room was about 15-16' wide and about 20' deep. I am pretty sure it was only a perception issue. Once is was darker and you were focused on the screen the sound flowed with the movie and sounds came from everywhere around. The stage was wide when it needed to be.

• EndersShadow
    Mark looks good....... but I think you need more "cowbell" in the form of subs :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Your media closet is bigger than my kitchen.
  • Mark looks good....... but I think you need more "cowbell" in the form of subs :wink:

Yea, about that... the sub up in the front corner is a Velodyne DD18. I have another DD18 (I even pre-wired to both back corners of the room) that I was going to install in the room, buuuuut - I spent about an hour and a half fine-tuning the parametric eq on the one in the room (with the included microphone and on-board software), and it came out with a volume setting of 36 (out of 100). At that setting, it shakes the room. It rattles the plates in the cupboards upstairs in the kitchen. It rattles the pictures on the walls in the guest room next door. I can see NO REASON to move the other sub in there. None.

I always thought a servo sub was a must for 2ch listening, but not so important for HT. I was wrong - the servo cleans up the HT bass to a degree that’s impossible to explain. I’ve had great (non-servo) HT subs, and I thought they were the best thing ever. However, there’s no going back now...:-)
    Too much gear, too little time....
  • EndersShadow
    As long as it blows back your sack...
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Now, that is a movie collection...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Whereabouts do you reside DJT? You on the East coast by chance?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Whereabouts do you reside DJT? You on the East coast by chance?

Tom

Nope.. Utah
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Affirmative - about 30 miles north of SLC.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Now, that is a movie collection...

Thanks - unboxing them after a couple years was a job. I’ve always kept my movie collection strictly alphabetized ,and You’d think that the movers would have loaded them into boxes in somewhat of a consistent manner (like one shelf at a time, maybe in order). You’d think.... but you’d be wrong. It took me 7 hours to re-alphabetize the whole collection, and integrate all the new stuff I’ve purchased since the rest went into storage.

I realize many will look at the collection and scoff, as digital copies and streaming are in the process of taking over, but I’m a sucker for physical media. One of the main reasons, is I enjoy loaning movies out to friends and family. I love sharing great films and music with others, and that is difficult within the digital domain.

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    There is NOTHING wrong with physical media. All I have is physical media (well, and a streamer) and I would not change it for anything. Well, shoot. I thought you were a tad closer.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~