How many folks are using their 2-channel set up for movie watching?

Options
2»

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,051
    Options
    Running full in ceiling and in floor for ht, don't feel I'm missing anything, awesome stuff
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    Options
    Why don't we just build walls and ceiling out of zoned electrostatic speakers. Then the sound can really move around you.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • machone767
    Options
    2.1 for everything. The 2.3TLs in this room do a nice job with movirs and sports.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Yeah, but Donovan84 - who’s gonna win the winner-take-all football game Saturday? 😈
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    I've had both for movies/TV, was never much into it for sports (probably because I don't care to watch sports anymore). Now that I am into a smaller living space it's back to 2 channel only. I can say I don't miss the surround much, or the center channel. While it did help for dialog its' not enough for me to change everything for it. I, for one, am happy with just plain old 2 channel. I have thought about using a sub just for movies but never felt the need to integrate it into what I have (which means more expense). Personal preference...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Donovan84
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Yeah, but Donovan84 - who’s gonna win the winner-take-all football game Saturday? 😈

This game feels like a 50/50 toss up! I think we should win, however, if it rains/snows that could hurt our passing game. I’m a long-suffering Minnesota sports fan, so, that leads me to be mentally prepared for a loss. I think they only other region that can understand our sports misery is the state of Georgia.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    should be a barn burner.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Years ago I did TV/movie watching in 2 channel with SDA's. After going 5.1 I'll never go back. The center channel makes a huge difference.

Totally agree! (see we can agree)

Happy Thanksgiving!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    I know the OP has made up his mind, but I'll throw my 2 cents. Bought a house in August (2 story built in 1986). Can't have anything more than 3.1 in the main living area. Decided to put a small but potent 5.1.2 in the kids game room for movies, and stick with (what for me is a better) 2.1 in the main living room. I had a 6.1.2 in the old house. For sports and TV I really haven't experience much of a dropoff with the 2.1. Hearing the dialogue has only been a problem once, and that was just on a poorly mixed soundtrack (Gran Torino - great movie, terrible mixing). So, I guess the only real downside I've experienced in not being able to boost the center channel if needed, but like I said so far that has only happened once. Watched season two of John Ryan and now first season of Hanna, Inside Out blu ray, all very enjoyable. Now, if I want to watch a fun movie with lots of surround action, I will go in the game room. And I would be sad if I didn't have that. But overall I think that 2.1 can be pretty darn good...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer