Vinyl veneer pealing - anyone have a fix?

I’m getting close to finishing my basement, which includes my new HT. As I was getting out some of my gear the other night, I made a depressing discovery - my beloved Klipsch RS7 surrounds have a new cosmetic defect:-(. The vinyl coating on the speakers is pulling back from the base wood. It’s intact, although it almost looks like it has shrunk a bit. Is there a way to re-attach it, and make it look decent? They are going to be 7.5’ up on the walls, so it doesn’t have to be perfect, but they are the most stout surrounds I have ever encountered (Dual horns and an 8” woofer), and I’d like them to look decent...

Thanks for any suggestions,

pc4xp7hkqk0g.jpeg
wx9ao06l979i.jpeg
au7h8xuvp26o.jpeg
"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Remove it and paint it with texture paint
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Is that vinyl or cloth?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    F1nut wrote: »
    Is that vinyl or cloth?

I don’t think it’s cloth - it’s very thin, almost like paper. Contact cement is the first thing that came to my mind, but the area to work with is only 1/8”-1/4”, where it’s peeled back. It’s still in tact, just needs to be adhered back to the wood.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• daddyjt
    VR3 wrote: »

I thought about that too, but I have four of them:-( plus, I’m not sure how willing the rest of it will be to coming off neatly... I suppose a heat gun would be the best method for stripping?

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I've seen that with older vinyl coverings, you cannot stretch it back from what I know. Trey might be on to something. Only thing I can think of is humidity has swollen the wood just a bit.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    It looks like it may have shrunk a bit. When you put it back, does it still leave some of the underneath exposed?

Reason I ask is that I had the same happen to a Polk center channel, where the vinyl veneer peeled back and shrank due to heat exposure. Yep - had it sitting atop the fireplace mantel!

Still haven't fixed it yet. :cry:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited October 2019
    Ok, Aleen's Tacky Glue might be the ticket. To secure the material while the glue cures use the wide blue painters tape. Apply the tape starting on the bottom then pull it tight to the sides. Try a dry run with the tape to see how it works.

The glue should be a thin layer otherwise it might seep out of the seam.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    @daddyjt I had a pair of those, great speaks, but had the same problem. Was able to get the black vinyl to stick to the cabinets again using spray adhesive. Peeled it back a bit more, sprayed it in between the mdf and the vinyl, let it sit for a few mins to get tacky then adhered and used weight and clamps to ensure it stayed aligned with the cabinets' lines. Had to do some creative masking to protect the exterior surfaces and the faces of the speakers - blue painter's tape and butcher paper worked for me. On spots where the vinyl was chipped, I used India ink to stain the exposed MDF.

I also refurbed a RC3 with the same bad vinyl problems, couldn’t get the vinyl to look good by re-gluing, was too far gone... So I veneered it with real ash and stained it with India ink to match and then topped with wipe on poly, Matched the RS7's pretty well. I'd be happy to veneer/refinish them if re-gluing the vinyl doesn’t work. Let me know!
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • daddyjt
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ok, Aleen's Tacky Glue might be the ticket. To secure the material while the glue cures use the wide blue painters tape. Apply the tape starting on the bottom then pull it tight to the sides. Try a dry run with the tape to see how it works.

I went on line to order this glue, and the bottle looked familiar... My wife has some in her craft supplies - SCORE!

I’ll give it a go this weekend - thanks for the tip! I’ll let you know how it goes...

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• F1nut wrote: »

A big thank you, @F1nut - I used the “tacky glue” a few days ago to repair the peeling vinyl. It worked like a charm - the only issue was that the vinyl veneer had actually shrunk a bit. After the glue set, I used a black sharpie to cover the sliver of exposed MDF. They look pretty good up close, and they look great 7’ up on the wall!

Thanks for the recommendation Jesse!

p14if8gt8ys7.jpeg
    arklu5rapz6a.jpeg
    3w3jivknvad4.jpeg
    620zyzqwskje.jpeg
    Too much gear, too little time....
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    VR3 wrote: »

Black?!?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    daddyjt1 wrote: »
    [...
    A big thank you, @F1nut - I used the “tacky glue” a few days ago to repair the peeling vinyl. It worked like a charm - the only issue was that the vinyl veneer had actually shrunk a bit. After the glue set, I used a black sharpie to cover the sliver of exposed MDF. ...

ahhh -- a feller after my own heart :)

I just wish they made woodgrain Sharpies, I guess...