SDA 2As: Got the width, want the depth

Options
2»

Comments

• TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    I assume since you have replaced the tweeters and caps that you replaced the polyswitches with a resistor as well. You could try changing the value of that resistor in small increments to attenuate the tweeter some. A bright sounding tweeter can give the speaker a more forward sound which might reduce the perception of depth in your soundstage. It would be a simple and cheap experiment to see what effect it would have before spending a ton of money on new gear.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    jimclass wrote: »
    Interesting side note: I went back to listen to the new L800s at my dealer. They were placed in a different, smaller room, with different amplification, and set up about 7 feet apart and about 2 feet off the wall. The dimensional effect that was so spectacular in the bigger room with much more space behind and around was significantly reduced. Just shows that the room does make a big difference.

Not surprised by this observation. Those speakers need room to do their thing.

• soupbone
    soupbone Posts: 104
    Options
    jimclass wrote: »
    Interesting side note: I went back to listen to the new L800s at my dealer. They were placed in a different, smaller room, with different amplification, and set up about 7 feet apart and about 2 feet off the wall. The dimensional effect that was so spectacular in the bigger room with much more space behind and around was significantly reduced. Just shows that the room does make a big difference.

The room is the single most important component of your system. Nothing will influence your soundstage more than the room. Probably why I've never been able to achieve any depth from my SDA's, plenty of width but no depth. Any speakers for that matter.

Local stereo shop had some Klipsch speakers powered by an Aragon amp...the depth gave me goose bumps. Remodeling my basement, one room is just going to be for sound. Going to seek help since I have a few options for the room dimensions.