Can you tell me anything about this speaker?

Options
TAB
TAB Posts: 41
edited January 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Over the weekend I purchased an entertainment center from an individual. As part of the deal he threw in a pair of Pioneer CS-903 speakers he said he purchased overseas while he was in the military. I should have asked him when he bought them, but I am assuming sometime in the late 70's/early 80's. The speaker cabinets are 28" tall by 18" wide by 10" deep. The subwoofer is 15" in diameter. I have tried to find some information about these speakers on the internet, but have not run across any information so far. I am attaching two photos........if anyone can help me with some information on these speakers I would appreciate it.
[HOME THEATRE]
35" SonyTrinitron
Sony STR-DA90ESG (AVR)
Carver TFM-55X (Amp for drivers)
Carver TFM-55 (Amp for tweeters)
Sony DVP-S530D (DVD)
Sony CDP-302 (CD)
Sony SLV-595HF (VHS 1)
Sony SLV-678HF (VHS 2)
Pioneer PL-L800 (Turntable)
Sony TC-WR701ES (Twin Cass. Deck)
Technics SH-8066 (EQ)
POLK SDA SRS (Front)
POLK Monitor 5B (Surr.)
POLK CS-245 (Center)
[2 CH]
Carver C-5 (Preamp)
Carver M-400t (Amp)
Sony CDP-C85ES (CD)
Technics SH-8055 (EQ)
POLK SDA 1B
Post edited by TAB on

Comments

• TAB
    TAB Posts: 41
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Without grill:
    [HOME THEATRE]
    35" SonyTrinitron
    Sony STR-DA90ESG (AVR)
    Carver TFM-55X (Amp for drivers)
    Carver TFM-55 (Amp for tweeters)
    Sony DVP-S530D (DVD)
    Sony CDP-302 (CD)
    Sony SLV-595HF (VHS 1)
    Sony SLV-678HF (VHS 2)
    Pioneer PL-L800 (Turntable)
    Sony TC-WR701ES (Twin Cass. Deck)
    Technics SH-8066 (EQ)
    POLK SDA SRS (Front)
    POLK Monitor 5B (Surr.)
    POLK CS-245 (Center)
    [2 CH]
    Carver C-5 (Preamp)
    Carver M-400t (Amp)
    Sony CDP-C85ES (CD)
    Technics SH-8055 (EQ)
    POLK SDA 1B
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Kabuki
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2005
    Options
    ROFLAMO.....
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Those look like your typical "more drivers are better" 80's speaker. Probably won't get the greatest SQ out of them, more bass and treble with no midrange. You might try contacting Pioneer for specs. Their website lists nothing, but I've had good results emailing manufacturers before. They can pull out old records that may not be available online.

It does appear that these speakers were manufactured to some quantity. Oak Tree Vintage has the individual components for sale (replacement drivers), and I found another webpage that had some book for sale that included these speakers.

Short of buying the above mentioned book, I would say try to get in contact with someone at Pioneer. Who knows, you might get the guy who's been with the company for 40 years and knows every vintage product inside and out.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Good pair of paperwweights you have there.....

I've never heard a Sansui or Pioneer speaker that I thought sounded good (the CS-77,88,99 had COOL cabs though)...however there are those who REALLY liked them.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut